Migraine Suffers? What works?

• Thread starter Michael Trepper
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrepMan

Reaction score
This is WAY off topic, but i'm stressed to the max this week, and i've had 3 migraines in the last 3 weeks where for the last 10 years i've only gotten at most 1 a year. I know the stress, coke and beer don't help. But the good news is while I get the aura/vision issues as a warning of my migraines, the actualy pain/headache is less then it has been in previous years.

So, if anyone gets them or has in the past, any suggestions? I tried Imitrex a few years ago and it helped a little for me but not anymore then a coke and tylenol.

Trep

Caffiene works good. as soon as I get the auroras I take an excedrine Migraine tablet(800mg) and the pain never comes to the usual bed ridden pain. You can also get prescription meds too, my Mom gets them that bad she looses balance and has to take prescription meds for it

I get horrible migraines. Severe pain. The only thing that works for me is Maxalt.

Good luck.

Trep, all the women on Jeanne's side of the family get them. Diet plays a huge part. I imagine, because of where you are, you are eating very differently than anytime in the last ten years. If you can, try to figure out if certain foods are triggering the migraines, and avoid them.

Hope things ease up for you. Hang in there, man.

Trep, hows your blood pressure?

My blood pressure is just a bit above normal without meds. When I started taking my Blood pressure medication it stopped my migrains almost all together.

Mark

Mike and to all interested, check the site sponsor link it will take you to my simple internet site for Mona Vie. Click around and read the information and then give me a call 530-524-9838 or email me at [email protected].

I would be happy to answere any questions you have.

The only thing that works for me is darkness, sleep and silence. I know that is not possible most of the time. Hope you feel better.

Guys:

See your family physician. Wife has them real bad. Doctor prescribed a beta blocker and lo and behold 1 or 2 a year, and not even close to what they were. Stay away from the chocolate, and other foods that have high triglycerides.

Mike

He's probably having fishing withdrawal! ;)

Trep - Judy has them every now and again also. As others have suggested, one of our Dr's said to take Excedrin for headaches, Tylenol for general aches/pain.

Yeah, just checked with her. She takes Excedrin. You basically need the higher dose Excedrin (it's all the same, just labeled differently for marketing purposes). Make sure to get the higher dosage version. The combination within Excedrin does the trick for her.

Hope this helps.

Tex

Excedrin Migrain works for me also. But I need to pop them as soon as I start seeing the spots, or else they don't work.

I have a bottle in my lunch bucket, in my truck, in my tackle bag, bowling bag, golf bag and a few around the house. Gotta get them quick.

Mine come in spurts. I may go for months without having one, then have four in two days. Tried all my life to narrow down the cause, but have never figered out what triggers them.

I also remember back in my younger days hearing rumors that Pot works really well for relieving migrains.;) :wacko:

Steve

I get them from time to time - bad. Sometimes, when they aren't so bad, Excedrine Migraine takes care of them, but the really bad ones almost have me incapacitated, so I saw a doctor - which is THE thing to do. He made the determination that mine were mostly stress related, and prescribed a mild muscle relaxer - Robaxin. Now, migraines don't last long. As soon as I feel one coming on, I pop an Excedrine Migraine, and if they keep going.... I break out the Robaxin. They can be taken together, and I do. Works great.

All the best,

Glenn

I have to plug the Excedrin Migraine as well. If I can get a couple of them down early, and take a nap, that will usually do the trick. If not, all I can do is Teri's silence and darkness routine or a trip to the E.R. for an injection (but I've only needed to do that once in the last ten years, thank God).

I don't like chiropractor's as a primary care choice, however I did have some pops and twists done to my back and neck a few years back and that decreased the frequency and severity of my stress-related headaches a lot.

Excedrin usually does the trick, and plain old aspirin has worked for me too.

The key is to recognize the early symptoms and take something immediately.

I have used Aleve a few times and it works too.

Worst I had in a while set in on a trip to Euafala, by the time the sun came up I was in agony, could barely drive home.

I have a large shower with a "seat" made on one side, a dark hot shower has helped with the extreme pain in the temples and behind the eyes.

I have been told the pressure points in between the thumb and index finger in the thick part of the palm will help too.

Two Excedrin sometimes with coffee . I've had migranes sense I was ten years old. Have been on alot of different prescriptions ,not until I discovered Excedrine did I find anything that worked. Make sure your breathing right . slow deep breaths slow exhale In with the good ,out with the bad.

Also MSG can bring on migranes .The Chinese use it here alot in their food to keep vegetables from losing color.

Good luck Trep ,Migranes are no fun.

The best thing for a migraine is to get into the shower, get the water as hot as you can stand, then go as cold as you can stand it. Back and forth, hot, cold. It shocks your system, and it works. It works for a hangover headache, also.

Bubby

Just about every migraine I've ever had could be traced directly to over indulgence of the booze dujour. I have had a few that weren't alcohol induced that I found relief with 800 mg of Ibuprofen. I also like to use a vibrator type muscle massager on my head and back of my neck. That seems to displace the pain with a different sensation. Sort of like when you rub Icy-Hot on a sore muscle.

It's interesting how many of you find relief from Excedrin which is nothing but plain old aspirin with some caffeine. Excedrin Migraine is aspirin and acetaminophen combined. My wife has recently discovered BC Powders for her migraine....something I've used for years for just day to day pain relief. Once again, plain old aspirin the miricle drug again. She says she can feel the pain go away as soon as she swallows the powder with a big drink of water. That reminds me of something else....water! If you're having a lot of headaches if could be due to dehydration. DRINK SOME WATER.

Harpo

Trep,

First, stay away from caffeine which is a well known migraine trigger. I was going to suggest an Imitrex injection before I read you had tried them. Personally, I would try that again before anything else. Also FYI, stress doesn't cause a migraine either, it causes stress headaches. If it did there are a myriad of stress medications that would be prescribed and instantly help with the migraine. I know that might cause an argument or two.:rolleyes: They are initialized in two different places. Have you been having any kind of weather changes? Cold to hot, dry to wet, barometric pressure, etc? Dehydration is a major cause.

MG brought up a good point when he mentioned MSG. That's a MAJOR trigger.

I had Migraines from a very early age though my Mom just called them Bill's Sick Headaches. Mine were like Teri's in that I would feel it coming on and my Mom would take me into her room to bed while yelling at everyone else to be quiet. She would pull the shades so it was completely dark and then get a cold wash cloth and hold it on my forehead (geeezzzz I'm missing her now). Unlike Teri though, the pain would get so bad I would have to throw up. Then I could go to sleep and when I woke up the headache would be gone. Even in Viet Nam I carried a big bottle, along with everything else, of Darvon that a Medic got for me. When I got older the Migraines went away but the cluster headaches started and I always wished the migraines would return. Cluster headaches are intraocular and are called the suicide headache. Doctor's think that weather causes them though they don't know why. I belonged to a chronic pain news group where one Doctor who deals with this mentioned that a lot of his patients seemed to lose their headaches when they got into their early to mid fifties and that happened to me too. Now I will still get one every once in a great while but nowhere near the intensity they used to be. Of course I'm on Morphine every day so that might make them less painful too but....:lol::lol::lol:

Steve R. From just reading what you wrote it sounds to me that you may have Cluster instead of Migraine headaches. Do you get these primarily in the spring and fall?

BTW, "IT" never worked for me.:rolleyes:

I used to do what Bubby suggested to and it did give me "some" relief as long as I stayed in the shower. Once out though, the intensity would gradually return.

Everyone is different Trep. In what causes them, what may help with them and how high our pain tolerance is. I'm going to try Greg's product for a number of aches and pains but just haven't gotten around to it yet. And most important, like Mike and Glenn said, GO SEE A DOCTOR!!! just don't eat ground Elephant tusk or Hippo Penis..:wub:

Uncle Billy

WOW guys I didn't realize this would hit such a wide audience!

Too late in my day to answer everyone's suggestions but here are a few things:

- Yup its a migraine, been diagnosed and all that jazz. I get the Aura first, which is when I used to try and take Imitrex (out of it now) but it only worked OK.

- Jaws - Never had high blood pressure, so don't know, it wasen't high before we left the US. Though it does run in the family, and for 38 years I had NO issues with Cholesteral or triglicerydes and now I have watch those too! I sucks getting old!!

- Today is my first day without Caffine in a LONG time!! Yesterday I had 2 cups of coffee for breakfast and 2 cokes after lunch, NONE today! I'm trying to back out one food/product at a time.

- Yes the weather has changes signifigantly the last few weeks, went from heat of summer to clear skies (as clear as Shanghai gets) and cool temps, could be that too.

- MSG, yup its in a LOT of food here, but I realy haven't had anything different the last 3 weeks then in the last 4 months. I realy thought around the first month I would be getting them as I was drinking a lot of coke, a lot of beer, a lot of MGS foods, lots of stress, less sleep... But maybe its just catching up with me after a while...

- Steve - I can get most anything here in China, mmmm, have to see if there is a canibus shop!!! LOL No, just kidding!!

- Seems while in Australia in Dec i'll have to buy Exederine migraine. I've read it has the caffine that is good once the aura's start to help speed the vision process up and the pain meds for the headache.

- Its been years since one has bed ridden me in the dark room. Can't realy take a hot shower when I get one at the office :-(

- I've been pretty good on the chocolate except since Halloween last week, LOTS of kids candy around the house. I'll try to block that out next.

- Dehydration, never thought of that. I HATE water, tastes yucky and bland!! EWW I know, I know, i have bad sinus's so everything tastes bland unless its strong. I will also try to drink more water, yet the bottles stuff here, good suggestions!

Thanks for all your suggestions and tips, what a great gang you are!!!

Trep

Hey Trep, Do you need someone to send you some Excedrin ? I would be mo than glad to do so knowing what a migrane feels like.

I get them any time Bill.

It starts with the Aura, and I can tell how bad the headache will be by the size of it. It can be just a small spot, or so big I can't see to drive.

Then the headache sets in as it leaves. Right behind the eyeballs. After that the nausea comes, puking hard untill I have dry heaves. Interesting the heaving actually relieves the headache for some reason.

I have even on occasion stuck my finger down my throat to make myself heave hard to get some relief from the headache when I didn't catch it in time with the asprin.

They don't seem to be quite as bad now that I am older. Still about as frequent, just not as intense.

Steve

Trep you may wanna try a Chiropractor or I am sure you can find accupuncture person near by, sometimes these will help relieve miagranes. Also once you have one, you may want to go and get a masssage (without the happy ending). Some Chiro's here in the states can bill those thru your insurance, I am not sure about China. Just some thougts. Hope you get to feel better.

Donnie

MG - I'll look here for the Excedrin, its tough finding some stuff here in Shanghai but other stuff is now easily available. And it could take a month or more to get here, and by then i'll be in Sydney on holiday so could get it there if not here, but thanks for asking!!

Donnie - mmm Chiropractor or accupuncture for migraines, never thought of that, but I can't go when i'm getting one, but had not thought about it from a proactive measure, as it hasen't been this bad in years.

Oh and you obviously have been over here with the mention of "get a masssage (without the happy ending)"!!! LOL My wife learned from a friend about those and has told me " no massages without supervision!!! LOL

Michael, did you try the pills or the Imitrex injections? I found the injections to work much better. Just for my knowledge. If you visit any news groups, there is a Chronic headache and just a chronic pain site that would be a big help to you. On both sites there are even a bunch of Doctor's who join in to help sufferers out and I had one trying to get me to Cleveland (or Chicago I forget) where there is a world class headache clinic.

This is the Doctor who sent me material stating that men who get migraines are very rare. That's generally a woman's malady. Now, Cluster headaches are 100% men headaches. He told me that one of the things they had found out (and I read it but don't remember what publication it was in) is that most "migraine" headaches claimed by men are usually Stress or Sinus headaches. If your Doctor actually "diagnosed" you with migraines your Doctor should leave whatever practice he's in now and join a bigwig practice so he can specialize in migraines. I have never met any Doctor who could say, "oh yea, that's a migraine" and then bet on his diagnosis.

Greg, I sure agree with what you said about people not knowing the difference between a Migraine and just a bad headache. I would miss about five days work a year because of Cluster headaches and everyone would say, "what's the matter, you just have a headache?"

and other things like that. Kids would run around and want to play but I just couldn't but kids are smarter than adults. All I had to do with them was put a couple of bandaids on my forehead in an X pattern and they'd know I had a hurt and would leave me alone. I'm sure sorry what your wife, and you, are going through..

I hope you feel better Michael!

Uncle Billy

Latest posts

Back