Mercury Fury prop

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Daubert

Reaction score
Have any of you guys tried the Mercury Fury prop? I am in need of a new one for my 150 xr6 and might give one of these a try? If any of you have one, did you see the increase in holeshot or top end speed as they claim?

depends on your setup. the smalles size in the Fury is a 24p and a 150 may or may not be able to turn it.

Yeah I wrote that message before I really did any research on it. I think the minimum hp for these is 200 if I'm not mistaken. Cost about $700. Ouch, good time to be a prop welder.

Not sure where you saw $700. you can pick them up used (tested) for about $300 or so and brand new for a little over $400.

Here you go for a brand new

http://www.jacosmarine.com/new_mercury_propellers_for_sale.cfm

Otherwise check out www.bassboatcentral.com. there is a props forum and a props for sale forum there that usually has a few.

I have a 25p in my garage that I have used once. Big increase in top end speed (6-7 MPH), small increase in holeshot (I run a 25p Trophy+ 4 blade on a Ranger 520)

Mini, I would echo the question if it is for sale, been wanting one for my 911

Make some offers. I won it in a tournament a couple years ago (it was a certificate). I will put it towards a new SI or SS.....

Too low. It is basically brand new, ran once for about 30 minutes. I have the box and all.

4 of then have sold recently on BBC in excess of $400 and buyer paid shipping....

OK, so here is my new question. I am in need of a new prop for the upcoming season and if the Fury won't work for my xr6 150, what might you suggest for the most top end speed? I had been running the prop that the motor came with (23 Tempest)and on a good day I could get about 60 on the GPS. Boat is a SC NX882. Maybe 60 mph is all it has in it, but I would be willing to spend a little more $$$$ if I could get more speed. Not as much concerned with holeshot, more with top end

I would stick with the 23 tempest and get it blueprinted and balanced by a prop shop. let them know the numbers you are getting along with lift etc. and they may be able to tweak it for you for better performance, but with a 150hp typically the best prop is a 23 tempest. would love to see a 23p fury made.

The 23 tempest is the right prop for that hull. Its really too heavy a hull to turn anything bigger with a 150 on the back. I have played with props extensivly on that hull and i found the 23 tempest to be the ticket, blueprinted and balanced even better.

Can i ask what kind of RPM you are turning and where your motor is height wise? Your motor should be 3" below the pad in the factory spot and you should be able to turn 5600 RPM pretty easily. that should net you a top end somewhere around 60-62 depending on how much weight you carry in the boat.

When i had mine i had a blueprinted/balanced and cupped 23 tempest that i ran and i raised the motor up as high as it could go on the stock plate (2.5" below the pad). Alonoe i could spin it up to 5800 rpm as i normally kept it loaded and over 6k light. My every day top end was 63 by myself. Your really not going to get much more out of it then that and its right on par any most 18' boats with 150's on them. If you really want to go faster you will need more horsepower.

At the risk of sounding like a total rookie, what is blueprinting and balancing and how does it help you? Would you do this on a brand new prop?

As others have posted the 23 Tempest is dead on the best prop for that hull.. Croxton did my blueprinting and balancing for the tempest and it gave me a better holeshot, With full livewells, it was much more noticieable.. and about 2 mph top end..

It did 62 with a tournament load..

I've got a 25 Fury on my 2010 Z-9 w/Pro XS Opti 250 and Hyd. J/Plate...I LOVE Mine!!!

Better Hole shot, and better top end speed...

Roger,

What numbers are you getting with your Fury? I just received a B&B 25P Fury yesterday to try out in the spring and was just curious on what the numbers were going to be (speed and RPM's) Thanks!

-Justin

Jdfish,

Blueprinting and balancing is when a prop shop takes a prop and makes sure every blade is exactly identical in pitch, rake, cup, shape etc and then balances it perfectly. They also can change some of the props parameters to alter the performance of the boat depending on what the customer wants and based on current performance.

To answer your question about would i do that to a brand new prop. The answer is a resounding yes. Out of the box a prop is a one size fits all deal. Getting it tuned to the boat its going to be fitted to you will get a lot more out of it. Its like going from a set of all season tires to a set of high performance tires on your car. It can really make your boat a lot different to drive.

As far as where to send it to get it done. I have never used Croxton so i cant comment on him. I have used DAH propeller in wisconsin for all of my hi performance work and i wont go anywhere else. They are the guys bass and Walleye boats used as thier benchmarks for years whe nthey were around. they do very good work.

in addition to what JimB said, just because a prop is brand new out of the box and says it is a certain pitch etc, does not mean that is 100% accurate. Ask a prop shop and they will tell you that even though new, all props come out a little different. Blueprinting and Balancing makes sure that the prop is what it should be in all aspects, even brand new ones.

All that is true but I dont think you will find another mass produced prop that is closer to B&B than a Fury. It was one of the design characteristics in production coming from Mercury Racing.

Mini is also correct. Many prop guys say the fury is the best prop out of the box as far as not needing work done.

I think you are right on that for sure Mini. My fury props i have run ran a bunch better right out of the box then any stock tempest or trophy i have ever run. Not from a speed standpoint per-se but handling, bite, turning etc.

I will say this tho, having run my 25 Fury on my boat vs the DAH B&B'd 24 Tempest that i normally run the blueprinted prop still wins hands down. On my boat the 24 Tempest i had done up runs faster, carries a load better and handles a ton better then the 25 Fury. I also tried a 24 Fury but could way over wind it and the 26 was a little too big.

Once you B7B a prop, you might as well take the name and numbers off of it. I would be willing to bet that B&B 24 Tempest would not measure out to be a 24 any longer...

I am sure it would....the problem is that is was probably not 24p to start with.

Latest posts

Back