Merc Optimax Pro XS

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luke Musto2

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Got a question for you..

Ive got an 08 225 Opti Pro XS and my manual say runs the premium plus oil.. A friend told me he had his motor in for service the other day and the tech told him there was a service bulletin out on the motor that said to run the Opti DFI oil. I called the same shop and another tech said to run the premium plus..

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Luke

ONE of the / your service techs is correct. ALL DFI / Opti's are now recommended to run the "DFI / Opti" oil. Better idle quality, more protection, less residue. ;)

I just went to the Mercury web site I could not find any where where it says that we should not be using premium plus in a optimax. the only thing I could find was you can mix the two oils in the FAQ section under optimax. Can you post the service bulletin please? I also have been told both ways.

I can't post service bulletins. It's against Mercury's contract / copyright. Mercury consumer affairs might be able to answer....1-920-929-5000. :blink:

I located this...it's NOT a service bulletin.....

"Effective October 2010, Mercury OptiMax / DFI or Quicksilver DFI 2-Cycle engine oil is the recommended oil for all OptiMax models - including Pro XS. (The previous recommendation stated the use of Mercury Premium Plus 2-Cycle Outboard Oil in ProXS models and OptiMax oil in non-ProXS models.)

OptiMax / DFI oil is a superior oil when compared to the Premium Plus oil. While both products are high quality 2-cycle engine oils suitable for use in OptiMax engines, the OptiMax / DFI oil contains a higher percentage of additives that reduce carbon deposit formation.

Over time, under normal operating conditions, carbon deposits accumulate in the power cylinder (piston, cylinder head, liners). In most cases the carbon deposits do not create a problem, but carbon deposits that form on the piston - particularly behind the piston rings and piston skirts - can reduce engine life and performance.

OptiMax / DFI oil is specially formulated to prevent the carbon deposits from forming. It also does a better job of reducing existing carbon deposits than the Premium Plus oil. Going forward, the Operation, Maintenance and Warranty manuals for OptiMax outboards will recommend Mercury OptiMax / DFI or Quicksilver DFI 2-Cycle engine oil to help maximize engine life and performance"

There 'ya have it....;)

I have an 09 175pro xs and was told NOT to use the OptiMax oil because of issues they were having with outboards using it. This was in 09 so has things changed now? Was this ever the case?

Bob. B. Thank you for the information...

Is there a problem mixing the two oils in the tank?

It sounds ridiculous, but I was talking to my buddy last night and he said the same tech that told him about the service bulletin told him not to mix the two..

Luke

They are "miscible", but it's always a good idea to drain off as much as possible before introducing the new stuff.....

Back