Manual Transmission Towing

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Harrison

Reaction score
All you guys talking about automatic transmissions and towing got me to wonder a little bit about my manual transmission. From what you guys are saying, when the auto trans is looking for a gear to go in or switching between OD and down at points, that's when bad things can happen. Now, since I control what gear it's in, what are the cons of driving in 5th gear with my pickup. My truck is a '99 Chevrolet S-10 with a 4.3L Vortec V6. My boat, some of you know, is an old 16' Tracker with lots of extra weight added with decking. I drive down all highways/interstates in 5th and never have a bog down in engine and still run in the RPMs that I'd run if I didn't have a load. I also pulled a trailer loaded with two about 1000lbs of ATV weight and sometimes an extra ATV in the bed of my truck and it weighs more than my boat I can still run in 5th and not lose speed on hills the RPMs never drop. Just curious if you guys have any input...thanks.

Mike Harrison

As long as your engine has enough power to pull your towable, then there shouldn't be a problem. If the weight lugs down your engine and you don't down-shift, you could cause a problem.

I always heard that an automatic is better for towing because you don't have to slip the clutch like you have to to get started with a manual, especially when pulling out of the ramp.

Mike and Roy...not true....my 91 S-10 has the same tranny with a 5 speed OD and with 170,000 miles of some serious towing and some serious haulin' dirt loads...it's never missed a beat and still has the ORIGINAL clutch and pressure plate. That's the first tow vehicle I ever used and it still serves my purpose. You can't hardly hurt those 4.3's with the full size tranny....

TEE

I pull my PT 17 with a 94 s10 with a 2.2 manual. This past summer I fried the tranny on the interstate at 5:30 in the morning. Most of the damage came from low fluid in the tranny. (make sure you have enough) I love the truck it had 160,000 when the tranny went, but I still have the original motor(that does not use oil)

Donnie

i have a 95 ford with the 5 speed,when to use 5th is a rpm question,a lot of hills,4th.keep the motor in the optimum rpm range,round 2200 rpm.

as for the towing,they rate the towing weight lower than the auto due to clutch slippage,and the auto has the torque multiplication factor with the converter.

my 95 has over 133,000 on the origional clutch.its close to being time to change it out,the slave is starting to leak,and its towed my 19 since day 1.

1995 Ford F150 4.9L standard shift. 168,000+ miles. Purchased new and still has the same clutch it came with. I pull from the ramp the same way with my standard shift as I do with an automatic. Set the parking brake, clutch in, put in gear, ease out on the clutch until contact then release brake and go. Also tow in 5th gear whenever terrain permits.

DonJovi(Rockondude)...That 2.2 has a lot smaller tranny than the 4.3's. They use the full size manual and automatic tranmissions.

TEE

Rockin' on Tee!!.....Yeah I know..I got a used tranny for $300 and a buddy and mine put it back together in about 4 hours start to finish. Wasn't to bad. Its time to out it out to pasture beacuse I have a water leak somewhere. (its using about a gallon of anti-freeze every two weeks). The wifes car will be paid for in May so.....I will get a semi-new 3/4 ton Chevy. 1st bigger truck.....then bigger boat.

For all the s10 owners a good page to check out is mys10.com

Its a good board like this one where chances are someone can help you.

Donnie

I've got the 4.3 and bigger tranny in my Bravada which by the way just came out of the shop yesterday. New ball joints and thermostat. BUT they did find a nice little antifreeze leak on my intake so guess what I'm doing in a couple weekend!!! Ripping the top half of my block apart to put in a $70 gasket! STOOOPID chevy! LOL nuthin but problems. When I'm done it will be a new truck......literally!

Rob...those S-10's are notorious for intake gaskets. I replaced mine at about 120,000 but, now has developed a tick.....may be valve. I don't think it's a lifter....

TEE

Well I found out today that the reason my new $50 alignment won't do much is that the rear axle thrust line is out. I have to get that aligned. I need to have a leaf added anyway to beef up the arse for towing so I'll have them do it then. Geeesh! Shuda bot anudder Dodge!

Hey the 2.2 is known for an external head gasket leak..check around the back bolts on the drivers side to see if there is some green crud around the bolt? If so it can be fixed without removing the head with a product called allumiseal..it a powder you add to your coolant system and works great on external leaks.

BF

Latest posts

Back