Lowrance LCX38 GPS questions....Long story.

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B. Hallock

Reaction score
Hello all, (sorry so long, but I think you need the story to understand)

Maybe you guys/girls can help me out with some info. I have an LCX38 unit on my TV18. I mounted the unit so it is at the drivers right side just above and forward the console about where the stock 3 inch screen sonar mounts, just on the aluminum panel not the plastic console. I mounted the GPS puck for it on the front of the console for a clear sky view and its on a RAM mount. I say 20-24 inches separate the two...I'll get to this in a minute.

We have ice now (I'm in Colorado), so Boat has been in storage for a while, but getting out soon. Before I put the boat away my GPS was having trouble staying locked on to a position. It seems to work fine for a while in the mornings then it goes crazy and the track line draws lines everywhere on the map page as it locks and loses positions. Isn't reliable for GPS and waypoints anymore. I have a 527igps and no issues...I thought it might be the mountains or location, but not the case.

I emailed Lowrance a month ago to try to get the issue resolved before ice off this spring. They tell me the puck has to be 3ft from the unit??? I never had issues since I bought the unit new in 2007, everything mounted the same. Now last fall I start having issues. I explain this via email and they again and again say to try the puck 3 ft away. I tell them, boat is in storage, kind of hard to get in on the lake. They say, can't help without me trying the 3 foot rule. I can try it at house, and will, but I'm not convinced after thinking about it. If this is the issue, why did it not happen the first 3 years everything exactly the same as I have things mounted now?

By this point...multiple emails on saying I have never had trouble

There is no 3 foot rule written anywhere that I can find either, and I really don't know why they recommend that. It isn't in any of the installation manuals for any of the LCX series. It's also not in the LGC-3000 installation paperwork, nor the supplemental sheet for the LGC-3000. If you go to the Lowrance website, and then Downloads, and then to Manuals, you can bring up an electronic copy of each. At the top of each PDF, there is a "Search" field. Type in 3 foot, 3', or anything like that. It doesn't come up.

My experience with the LGC-3000 is that you can mount it pretty much anywhere you want, as long as you have a clear, unobstructed view of the sky above it. My rear one was mounted approximately 3 feet away, but that was only due to available space (put it behind the drivers seat). My front one was mounted about 2 feet away to the left - again, due to available space.

I've seen LGC-3000's go bad, but more often it was the cables or loose / corroded connections somewhere. Slightly older boats (my 2005 Triton for example) had what Lowrance called "soft T's" for the NMEA 2000 network. Instead of a hard plastic "T" they use now, it was a Y cable. I had to replace mine when I had issues, and I've replaced them in a few other peoples boats as well. A change to the hard T's normally took care of that issue.

Also check to ensure something didn't wiggle lose or get corroded over the years. Remove each of your cables and check the connections. A bit of corrosion inside those connectors could be causing you to lose signal intermittently like you were describing. One minute it works, the next minute it doesn't. Clean up any corrosion and put them back together.

Normally, the LGC-3000's I've worked with don't go out slowly like you are describing - working / not working. They work one day, and then poof - they don't work anymore. I have seen and heard of problems with heat - on a hot day, the puck losing signal. As the puck is powered, I can see an overheating problem causing an issue. Hard to work with that one - I've heard of people placing a damp thin t-shirt over the puck. It cools it and allows it to continue working. Not the optimal solution in my book, but it worked for them.

Lowrance's lack of response may be due to your insistence that they are wrong, even though you haven't tried what they recommended. I'm not saying to move your puck, but simply go about it differently. Don't repeat your rejection of their idea. Go with the "I tried that, it doesn't work... what next?" approach - even if you haven't moved it at all. That way, at least they don't get the impression that you aren't listening to their recommendations (whether you agree with them or not). Would you look forward to getting on the phone with someone who continuously rejected everything you said? Kind of a hard conversation to want to get into, particularly if you know the caller is going to reject all of your initial suggestions from the start without trying them.

My bet is this (in this order):

1) Corroded connection - somewhere. Take apart every NMEA2000 connection and check closely.

2) Bad cable - especially if you have a "soft T" in your LGC-3000 cabling.

3) Loose fuse holder - check the fuse holder to the NMEA-2000. If it's the old glass type - change it to the new blade type. Those glass fuse holders shouldn't be on boats in my opinion. Too much bouncing around to loosen them up.

4) Somehow, you got "Require WAAS" checked when you were playing around with your GPS one day. Go into the menu and check. If that box it checked, turn it off.

5) LGC-3000 could be going bad. I'd hate to see it happen... but it is a possibility. If you have a buddy with one you could swap out, that could be an easy check. If I were still running the LCX series, I'd send you one of mine to try out.

Please let me know if any of this helps. If you need to talk, send me an email. I'll give you my phone number and you can call me.

All the best,

Glenn

Thanks for all the ideas Glenn. I'll be getting the boat out this week and I'll go through your list and see if I find anything you mention. I did have a puck go bad and you are right,,,,poof, it was dead...not this slow death, so I don't think its a bad puck...but always could be. The heat thing you mention would be a real good bet and was on my list, but It was still happening just before I put the boat away...and day temps were like 15 degrees then. We're in Colorado and temps aren't that hot, but the sun is still intense. After this winter though, can't be it.

1 and 3 will check for sure...

Not no. 2...I have the hard "T"

Lowrance suggested your no.4 and thats not it.

no. 5...I can do when I get a chance to borrow a friend's.

Yeah, I got a little heated about it so I'm sure you're right...thus the avoidance. Knowing a few other guys with the lcx series and puck gps systems, I was all but positive that the 3 foot thing they were saying was and is BS. Add it to the past customer service I've had(bad too)...you're 100% right, should have went about it different, but lost my temper with them via email.

You sure know a lot about the Lowrance units...which are you running now??? Hope to upgrade someday to their new HD's, but money is in lock down by the other half...first kid on the way this fall. Trying to get toys all fixed/upgraded before all my allowance is taken away. :rolleyes:lol

Anyway, thanks for the ideas. I will try them this tues-thurs when off work and see what I come up with. Thanks again, the email offer might come in handy so I might be in touch.

I am currently running dual HDS-8's with Structure Scan. Love this setup. Prior to my current electronics, I was running a LCX-28HD and LCX-27, networked. That was a great setup too.

Give me a shout if you need further help. Always glad to lend a hand.

All the best,

Glenn

The 3' rule has been anecdotal for many years. Some people have issues some don't. They are recommending with the HDS units that the puck be at least 3' away but as far as I can find it's not mentioned in any installation manual.

Usually a power issue, like from a loose connection or fuse shows up as a "GPS Module Not Responding" error. Since you are not getting that, I tend to think it's not anything to do with power. Next is interferance because of the proximity to the base unit. I'd say you just have to check it before you can ask Lowrance to think of something else. Finally, the puck could be having trouble locking onto satellites. Go into the satellite page and see how many birds it has locked onto. You need a minimum of 3. If it can't lock on, there are only two possibilities.

1) Mountains or structure are blocking, or

2) GPS puck is bad and needs replacement

If the 3' rule doesn't improve the problem, you'll have to try with another puck. If you can't get one from a friend, I'd say it has to be returned to Lowrance. If you are civil with them, I have heard of some very good deals being given on replacement LGC4000 pucks for 3000 pucks that have gone bad.

NoCAL

Latest posts

Back