Lowrance 522i issues

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Daubert

Reaction score
I have a Lowrance 522i that seems to be getting a little fussy when I'm on the water. Sometimes the depth reading seems like it just locks on to a certain depth and "jams" up. Like it's trying to search for the correct depth almost. The GPS part always seems to work though. I'm thinking of buying another transducer, but wanted some other opinions. I don't know what to do. The unit is only about a year old.

I have a x90 on the bow and it does the same thing,not sure what the problem is! Be interesting to see what the other guys think!

If it's searching for the correct depth and hasn't locked on, the depth numbers will be flashing.

Deep water? Shallow water? What are your current settings?

What is your ping speed set on? (press Menu, scroll down and choose Ping Speed)

What is your chart speed set on? (press Menu, scroll down and chose Chart Speed)

What is your surface clarity and noise rejection set to? (press Menu, scroll down and chose Sonar Features)

Do you always use it in automatic mode, or have you played around with manual settings?

All the best,

Glenn

mine,if you ever hit really shallow water it goes to like 2ft and then starts flashing,even after you get back in 15ft of water,I've played with a bunch of settings and it does the same thing regardless!Sorry jdfish I din't mean to hijack your post! Sorry buddy,maybe we both can get some answers

So far I have only noticed it in water up to about 10 feet. I usally use in in automatic mode although I usually keep the sensitivity on manual to reduce clutter. This is the finder at the bow so I would only be moving at trolling motor speed with this unit. Would you suggest I change ping speed and/or chart speed? Isn't noise reduction used to eliminate interference from the outboard motor?

jdfish,

I wanted you to check your settings to ensure you didn't inadvertently set them to something that would be affecting your performance.

Ping speed normally starts at 50% and chart speed at 100%. When I'm slowly going along, picking apart a weedline or lilly pad field, I've often times dropped my chart speed to 87% (one click down) and it gives me a better picture. If I'm just chunking and winding, I have it set to 100% chart speed.

Sometimes (not often), I'll bring up the ping speed to 75%, but I'm also playing around with the sensitivity at the same time.

You stated that you keep the sensitivity on manual to reduce clutter. Do you periodically make changes to it? Unless you are fishing in a swimming pool, the bottom consistancy changes, so you will more than likely be making minor changes to the sensitivity during the day. I put mine in manual sensitivity and then bring it up until my screen starts getting cluttered. Then I start gradually backing it down until I get the best possible picture.

Noise rejection is used for many factors, including engine noise, other electronics, etc... The reason I asked about noise rejection and surface clarity is that the higher you set them - the more you are killing your signal. Basically, you could be reducing your sensitivity to the point that you wouldn't see anything and could possibly lose signal quite often.

All the best,

Glenn

Kacee,

I'm not familiar with the X90 at all. I don't even have a manual available on that one. I have X91, X96, X97, X98DF, but nothing on a X90. But lets try anyway.

If your menu has the capability of turning off the auto depth range, turn it off. Then set your depth range to the max depth + a few feet that you will be in. In other words, if you are going to be in 3 feet of water, set it to 5 feet. As you get ready to move out into slightly deeper water, say 7 feet, change the manual depth range to 10 feet.

If it's an older unit, which it sounds like it might be, I would definitely drop the chart speed down to 87% (one click). Some of the older units really sped that display across the screen. It really didn't give you much time to read what was on it.

All the best,

Glenn

JDFish,

if you have ever hit anything with the transducer and scrached the black epoxy casing, the transducer will act funky and loose the bottom for a period of time.

you can shut down and power up and it will work again for a while and then loose the bottom again. If this is the case you will need to replace the transducer.

look for scratches on the bottom of teh ducer surface. if you see and white or grey showing it will require replacement.

i am speeking from experience, same thing happened to me last season.

GregD

Glenn,

I use the sensitivity like you do, adjusting as needed. I think I am going to get another transducer and try it out. Chances are I would need another one some day anyhow. One question though. I have the transducer mounted to the side of the trolling motor as do most people, but it isn't a trolling motor type transducer, you know the puck style. Does it make a difference in which style you use?

Makes no difference, just as long as it's the one designed for that unit. I use a skimmer type mounted to the bottom of my trolling motor with a product called "Transducer Shield and Saver". Best setup I've used to date.

All the best,

Glenn

Thanks. I ordered one today from my marine guy. Will be here tomorrow so i guess I will see this weekend if it makes a difference.

Make sure you have the latest software version. Then go in and set the mode to shallow or fresh water. One of those two will usually clear up the shallow water lock-up that happens with these units. That software update was designed specifically for this issue. Mine used to do it all the time too once I upgraded to the newest software and selected shallow water mode, no more problems. It reads 2' of water all the time.

NoCAL

Ok you will have to excuse me for being stupid, but how do I know if I have the latest softwear version and if I don't have it how do I get it?

Go to the Lowrance website and in "downloads" you will find updates (if any have been released) for your unit. (see link below) The unit will have a record of what version you have and I believe (rom the website):

How to see if your LMS-522C iGPS is already using version 2.5.0 software:

Press the MENU button twice on your LMS-522C iGPS.

Select SYSTEM SETUP.

Select SOFTWARE INFORMATION.

The software version for your unit is located under the line that says "LMS-522C iGPS" (ex. "Version 2.5.0").

If your version is the same version listed above, there is no need to download the software.

http://www.lowrance.us/en-us/Produc...iGPS/Downloads/LMS-522C-iGPS-Software-Update/

What I found out was mine has 2.4.0. Does that mean I need to update it?

You should update your software. Go the the link above and get the update and instructions to install it... Very simple and straightforward...

OK so I think I want to do this software update. I am very computer challenged though! From what info I found I think I need to buy this MMC/SD card and a reader. Get the info from my computer to the MMC/SD card and then just insert it into my 522. Is that right? If any of you have bought these what can I expect to pay for them?

You should be able to find a reader for under $25-30 and a card for $10-12... If you can't find anything locally just send me a email or pm and I will get you a "deal"...

Well I got both at Best Buy for less than $30. Install was easy just as you all had said. Can't wait to see how it performs in the shallow water and thick weeds. Thanks guys:)

Latest posts

Back