Looking for Opinions

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Smith

Reaction score
Well now that winter has got a firm grip on my region (Michigan) and my boat is put away, it's time for the mind to start wandering to future fishing trips.

While I won't be in the market for a new boat next year, I've penciled in 2005 as the year for a new one. So with that being said, believe it or not, I've already started my research.

I've been tossing around ideas for some time now, and I thought I'd throw out the 2 boat choices which I believe are the frontrunners for my 2005 quest. I'm kinda torn between the 2 so I thought I'd put my thoughts out to you folks for your highly regarded opinions.

First off, let me just say, that I've finally accepted the fact that I'll never be a touring bass pro but will continue to be a local open buddy tournament competitor. While bass fishing is my main passion, I do fish for all species both on small waters, the great lakes and a yearly spring trip down to Islmorada in the Florida Keys. I've been going to the Keys since I was a little kid and am tired of paying guide fee's for services that I could easily perform myself after all these years. And finally, I'm tired of getting beat up on St. Clair in my TV-18. I'm looking for a boat that is not so one dimensional and will go crashing through the rollers and slop without bustin my A$$, one that I can trailer down to the Keys or go trolling or tooling around on the great lakes with my little kids aboard and drop into a small lake in the area if I want to. I don't really want another bass boat, I'm looking for a boat that will do it all and do it well.

So here are the 2 models which I'm considering, and no there not Trackers or Nitros...sorry about that.

1) Ranger 619VS Multi Species Boat, with a 175 Opti saltwater, optional rear removable casting deck and galvanized trailer if available. 19 feet, 96 inch beam.

2) 2180 Bay Ranger, 200 Opti saltwater. It's a center console bay boat with front and small rear casting decks, bow mount MK motor. 21 feet, 100 inch beam.

Your opinions are welcome......

Wow,..tough choice!!! But I'd probably go for the 619VS but I'd upgrade the motor to a 200 Opti...

You mentioned taking kids with you on occasion and fishing buddy tournaments so seating would be an issue,...that's why I'd prefer the 619 over the Bay model. You probably won't be on BIG water as often and to justify the 2180, youd probably want to be on on the bigger water ALOT more often than St.Clair and the Keys......you can get by with the 619 down there easily enough for the occasional trip you'll take. I'd also consider your storage reqmnt's when not in use,..your garage can handle the 619....but the 2180 might be too long. Although BIGGER is better in most cases,..I think you'd be more than happy with a 619VS....that's a primo all around ride! Good idea to plan now though,....either way you can't lose....and one thing's for sure,...you WILL get the CS you deserve!! Let me know when you're serious about buying,..I'll help you when and where I can!!

Mac

I agree with the 619. I think it is more practical than the bay.

Rich D

Smitty,

I fish about 20 Walleye tourneys a year... So, I am around a lot of 619s... Nobody ever complains about the ride or the quality of the boat... A friend of mine who fishes a few bass tournaments does it from a 692 (I think that's the right number, it is the 19' Ranger Fisherman built before the 619)... and he loves the boat. With that said... and even knowing how happy you haven't been with Tracker... Thr Tundras have impressed me and everyone who owns one loves the boat... It's only concern would be your saltwater use... That you would have to research... Long term, aluminum boats hold up... A new pait job and you have a like new boat...

I, too, would opt for the 619.

I have my heart set on someday owning a very similar boat - a Triton TX-20 with a 225 Blue Opti. White with burgandy accents. Galvanized trailer of course.

Someday.....

If you're looking at bay boats, there are several good options. Remember though, with a bay boat, you're not going under any low bridges (one local lake is one reason I don't have a bay boat).

Basscat makes a bay boat, Skeeter makes one, Triton makes one, and of course, Nitro makes some. Bay Stealth is a poplular option as well. I don't want to put down the Ranger, but I think there are a LOT of excellent choices without shelling out Ranger money.

For the walleye-type boats, I know Ranger makes a very fine one, but that's all I have heard about.

Hey Scott. If you want to see a Nitro Bay boat, we just got a 1900V in last week. It's not the 2200, but you can take a look and get an idea what it's like. I'm pretty sure we'll have a 2200VL at the Cobo show. Check 'em out. I think you'll be impressed. I'd also take a closer look at the '04 Tundra. Just my "biased" opinion.

Craig

Well, so far the 619 has the edge. I appreciate all of your advice.

Mac, the bay boats rear deck actually flips up and reveals a padded bench seat all the way across the back for seating. My only real concern with the boat is livewell space and storage, though Rangers bay boats have alot more storage than others I've looked at. My partner and I would actually prefer standing when we are running...we both have really bad backs and can't take the pounding sitting down. My partner has actually layed on the floor of my TV-18 a few times going across St Clair. As far as the garage goes, unfortunatley, if I get anything bigger than my current TV-18 which is stored at an angle, it aint gonna fit. You pointed out some good issues though, I actually am leaning toward the 619.

Craig - I'm familiar with the Nitro bay boats, I've crawled around in them a few times..and the Tundras too. I agree that they are both nice boats and my consideration in jumping brands really has nothing to do with brand preference. I owned a Nitro before my current TV-18 and aside from the transom problems on the 2 TV-18's that were replaced I've had no problems and have enjoyed both boats. My issues with Tracker are customer service related, not with your local service center because you folks have always treated me like a king and I've always said that and always will. It has to do with corporate and the crap they put me through with my previous TV-18's. I don't want to experience that ever again, therefore I'm looking at other brands. I selected Ranger because of the quality of the boat, there service reputation and the fact that I purchased a Crestliner pontoon last year from a local Ranger dealer, they treated me like you guys always do and they're not too far away if I do in fact end up with a Ranger.

Fair enough Scott. I understand completly.

Than go with the 619.

Craig

Basscat also has a FINE reputation from the corporate side. I looked at their 22' with (if memory serves) a 200 saltwater motor, rocket launchers, and it wasn't a liner model. It was in the mid to upper 30s. I'm guessing a Ranger would be considerably higher.

Smitty,

I LOVE the 619 and 620. I keep telling Mac to get one next year. You can get "Glide Ride" seats as an option (I think that'w what their called).

The 619 also has better rod storage than most bay boats that I've been in.

If you want to save money, give your down payment to Mac and ask him to order a 619 for next year and you can buy it for Spring 2005. I think that since Scales & Talse is a multi species cartoon, it's only appropriate that he wraps a multi species boat.

If he won't do it for you then tell him that Jill won't bake him anymore cookies...LOL

Thanks Jethro, nice rig...but that splashwell takes up way to much space...and the Champion dealer closest to me is waaay to far away...distance to a dealer is another reason I've narrowed my choices down to Ranger...I love Basscat, Triton, Skeeter and Champion..but I don't wanna be driving all over S/E Michigan tryin to get service..

Greg, I disagree with your statements.

First, they have KVD. I'm SURE he doesn't get the same responses we get.

Second, Nitro doesn't put the money out on the tourney trails (that I've seen) that give an incentive to win in their boat.

Third, Nitro doesn't have the speed or the comfort market. There seems to be two schools of thought, speed (Bullet or Allison) or comfort (Ranger). Even the hybrids like Triton and Champion seem to have the hybrid market tied up.

Let's look at Basscat. With the exception of their company size, they seem to have one of the absolute BEST bass boats that money can buy. While I would certainly love to be on the Nitro state team, if Nitro and Basscat both approached me with the same deal, I'd be BassCat Mike :). Basscat and Nitro are pretty much head-to-head on pricing. Fortunately, Basscat is a much smaller manufacturer. Otherwise, there's no reason I can see why anyone would choose a Nitro over a Basscat. The 911 is a "special" boat to say the least, but it's different than pretty much any other bass boat I've seen.

Latest posts

Back