Looking for new depth/gps

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric Maisch

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a 2006 nitro 750. Currently I have two cheep lowrance depth finders. Very basic. Im sure there the ones that came with the boat. I'm looking to upgrade to something better with GPS. I don't do tournaments so it doesnt have to be top of the line. I just mainly fish with the kids around the local marina which is tidal so there's some shallow spots that pop up fast. Also on the Delaware river where I would like mark out some structure. A couple questions. Would I need to mount new transducers or are there or can I just change out the unit. Are there different models for trolling, bildge and transom mounting. My current transducer is mounted in the bilge are and I think I like that because like I said these shallow spots pop up quick and I wouldn't want to rip one off. I've already bumped the trolling motor one a few times.

The interchangeability of transducers depends on what unit you replace them with.

Typically the Johnny Morris boats come with the less expensive Eagle or Lowrance branded Eagle with the uni-plug power/transducer connection. That has very limited direct replacement choices.

There are several common types of transducer installs:

Transom mount

Trolling motor mount puck

Shoot-thru puck

Thru-hull

Some of those are installed in place of the others, but the best installation also includes using the proper one for the application and not "adapting" any for other use.

For most high performance stepped transom thin hull solid fiberglass boats, the shoot-thru is the best installation for 2D sonar.

As far as GPS, you would want a unit that either includes good mapping for the waters you visit or is capable of using additional mapping software that has the coverage you need.

Bottom line is get the most features you can get within your price range.

Lots of choices from Lowrance, Humminbird, Garmin and some lesser known mfg.

I recommend you vist a dealor or two that has a bunch of units on display, push some buttons and see which you would feel comfortable with in use and price and do it all yourself with no sales pitch or help by store employees--don't ask any questions. Bass Pro, Cabelas, ect

Then when you decide on what you think you want, ask here or some other forum about the particular unit recommendation and make the purchase at a marine electronics dealer either in person or on-line. You will get a better price than the big box general sporting goods places.

Hey Eric not sure if you'd be interested but I have a mint humminbird 798 hd unit I got late last year.

Paid $1100 for but got new 998 for bday so it has bare use and in mint condition.

Would sell for reasonable price if interested.

Jeff

Latest posts

Back