Lake suggestions

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eric nichols

Reaction score
My wife has suggested we pull the boat to a lake and rent a cabin for 3 or 4 days for our anniversary in April. Im going to book this ASAP before she changes her mind. Any suggestions on where to go. We live in Charleston, WV....anywhere within 5-6 hrs would be cool.

Thanks,

Eric

Lots to choose from near you.

-Kerr Reservoir (5.5 hours away)

-Lake Anna (4.5 hours away)

-Smith Mountain Lake (3.5 hours)

Given the time of year (April) with weather still possible cool, you could always rent a house on the hot side of Lake Anna. You also have access to the cold side via any of the public marinas (which don't exist on the hot side). Its like having two lakes in one! Dockside Realty has some rentals (or any of the real estate agents for Lake Anna).

Guntersville if you can get a room, they book up WAY early for the spring! Only place we've stayed is in Hollywood, AL at the creekstonelodge.com, but for your anniversary I would look for something more private and romantic!

Lake Gaston. Stay at Lake Gaston Lodge. WWW.LakeGastonLodge.com

Stayed there 3 or 4 times. Quiet, peacefull, family owned and operated. Nice people.

Eric,

Stonewall Jackson is as good as it gets (as you probably know). There are several cabin rentals around the lake. We stayed at "Hillbilly Haven" once and were very pleased. Jennings Randolph is another. Great smallmouth and walleye fishing there and Mineral County Parks and Rec maintains some very primitive cabins for a little over $30 a night just down from the lake. Hope this helps!

Scott

AL is 10 hours from WV. 10 is more than 5 and 6. His wife will figure that out even if she is from WV -- :lol::wacko::lol::wacko::lol:

I'll second Gaston Lodge. Great place with great fishing. If you tow your own rig you can fish Kerr as well.

Thanks for the suggestions...we've been to Stonewall and Smith Mt., so I requested some info on Gaston. Trepman-she dropped the ball on the romantic getaway when she suggested we take the boat with us...:D

I am planning on coming out that way next year to look..I haven't told C111 yet..I am looking at NC and west Va..I have to get some place where It's warmer and has water,golf and I can afford to live..JR

We rented a lake front home on Smith Mountain a few years ago for a week. Loved being there, but I didn't bring a boat and/or tried to fish (guide, etc.). Very nice lake and nice area, but somewhat remote. Their 'season' at Smith Mountain is the summer. Therefore, not all that many stores; restaruants; movies; etc. there.

Several Marinas there that offer cabins and dockable boat storage.

Tex

ERIC,

YOU BETTER MAKE RESERVATIONS BEFORE SHE CHANGES HER MIND. I LIKE LAKE RUSSELL ON THE SAVANNAH RIVER BETWEEN SC. AND GA. BEAUTIFUL LAKE --ONE REASON IS THEY DONT ALLOW DEVELOPEMENT WITHIN 300 FEET OF SHORELINE.EARLY APRIL WOULD BE MY CHOICE FOR THE FISHINGS SAKE.

BRANTLEY

I would skip Kerr in VA, largemouth bass virus has been found and the fishing has been off the last year and a half. The scientist say it has proably two more years to go before it runs its cycle.

HP

They are saying the virus has started in the lower Potomac also and heading upriver according to Ken Penrod's website.

Scott

I'm in with Jim on this one, Lake Anna hot side, is the chit! You can catch fish all day there no problem, and its beautiful and secluded too

Smith mountain would be my second choice, smallies there:cool:

Latest posts

Back