Lake Anna question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Hunt

Reaction score
Hi Guys - I haven't been to Anna in a couple of weeks.

How far down is the water level this week from summer pool?

Have they restarted the 2nd reactor?

thanks,

david.......

Water level is down about 18 inches. Second reactor is not up and running (yet). Been a tough bite over the last few weeks so good luck!

Thanks Bill.

I knew it was down, but didn't think it was down that far.

david....

Haven't been there myself in a couple of weeks. Hope to get down this weekend.

Bill - how are the temps on the hot side? Sounds like a cold side visit is required (early AM to avoid the jet fleas).

Jim C - The hot side is mid to upper 90s. Near 100 at dike 1. Cold side down lake in the low 90s.

Ok so from someone not used to those kind of temps, how high of temp can bass take before they start needing butter?

Ed - good question! Don't really know. Several weeks ago, temps near dike 1 were in the low to mid 90's near dike 1 and I was slammin' them mid day! Fished the lures off the dike and dragged them ssssllllloooooowwwwwwwllllllyyyyyy to the deeper water. I'm guessing that with the strong population of fish on the hotside, that they can take pretty warm temps. Of course, with deeper spots easily hitting 40 to 50 feet or more, they probably also go far down to cooler water.

Bill - thanks for the report. I'll be there this weekend if you want to try to get together. Maybe we can see who else wants to try catchin' some boiled bass! :D:D

Jim - I will probably be fished out. Hutch and I have our last TX this weekend on the James. Down on Friday and then hit them hard on Saturday. Last months TX on the Potomac was a real bust except that we took the consolation prize and won two (2) Kistler rods. Maybe Martie and I will get out on the big boat or ski on Sunday and drive by.

No problem Bill. Come on by Sunday. We'll still be there. In fact, we'll probably be out too in the deck boat.

Im gonna try and come down to the cold side, if there is a cold side this time of year, either this Thurs or next Tues. Cant make this weekend, (work).

Any idea where to start. I'll launch out of the state park. Was probably gonna run south to the dam and work my way back up. Whatdaya think ????

good lucvk to you and Hutch!! I will be thinking of you as I fly to Guam!!!

Do you know what I remember about Guam Carlos? Well, there was hot. And then there was Hot and then all of sudden it was HOTTTTTTT!!!!! Be safe my friend..

Uncle Billy

Ken S - ssullivan1 and I have been having some decent luck (okay more Sean than me!) at the first point above the Anna Point marina. Also, Sean has gone way way up into the area where the lake stays about 4 to 5 feet deep and said that he's gotten away from the jet skis and wake boats but still had some decent success with fishing. All this would fit with Bill's recommendation to start at the dam and work your way up. Of course with fishing on a weekday, you won't have too much in the way of annoying jet skis around!

Ken - The point that Jim mentioned is either on or it's off. When it's on, I've been taking a few decent fish early in the morning. This point has not produced bigger fish, though, since mid-April. Also, I prefer the North Anna branch to the Pamunkey branch, and I've had some decent success with senkos, t-rigs, and spinnerbaits in and around the grass and boatdocks surrounded by grass.

I can't claim to have found any magic spots, if you will, but I am having better luck this year by downsizing my lures. I switched to quarter ounce spinnerbaits, four inch senkos, and (don't laugh) small Rapala minnow lures.

The minnows produce the occassional bluegill, but I've caught good numbers of smaller keeper fish this way as well. I don't fish tournaments - I have enough stress in my life as it is - but if I did, I'd feel pretty confident about being able to get a limit of fish with a Rapala minnow on Lake Anna. Would I win with those five fish? No. But if I had three good fish and needed two more quickly, that's how I'd do it.

The exception, of course, is a t-rig with an 8 inch, junebug, ribbon tail worm. I try to hop it down breaklines into a creek channel. Slow going, but that's been my best producer of bigger fish after around 10 am.

Enjoy.

Good advice from all. My only addition is that I prefer the rivers when it gets hot. The rivers have current and concentrate the fish (all 5 of them!!:lol::lol:). I've been out on the lake a lot but due to circumstances beyond my control I have had to stay mid lake. Personally, I would go up in the rivers and fish frogs in the grass early. IMHO:p

TOXIC

Latest posts

Back