Knife sharpener help

• Thread starter Gilbert Scales2
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilbert Scales2

Reaction score
I have asked many different questions here, never failing to get great answers. I need to get my knives sharpened. I have tried every type of manual sharpener made, no luck. I am sure it is me and not the sharpener. Do any of you use or have an electric sharpener??? Are you happy with them?? I want to sharpen kitchen knives, small pocket knives. Thanks for any help.

Bubby:)

If you have not ever been successful (motivated and dedicated, first) learning how to use a set of stones, then try two things. A set of ceramic sticks and a small diamond grit paddle. They will result in a useable (for a short time) edge.

Gilbert,

I like the Smith's Sharpening System sold at Lowes. It's not electric, but has an angle guide and all the correct stones. I usually get the correct angle on a blade with this system and then can sharpen them freehand whenever they need a touch up. They run around $30 for the set.

Scott

Try a set of "beaver teeth". It consists of a wooden base with 2 ceramic rods that intersect. You draw the knife through the rods at the "V" where they intersect, keeping the knife blade straight up and down. I can't sharpen a knife for anything using a sharpening stone, but can put an edge on my knives with just 10 or so strokes on the ceramic rods.

5220_0762_1_md.jpg

I also have a Rada Quick Edge Sharpener (http://www.radacutlery.com/Product.asp?SRCH_CATEGORY=Cat13&SRCH_ID=R119) that I use sometimes. I use it to sharpen my carry knife because the ceramic rods will hardly sharpen the hard blade of my carry knife. The Rada makes short work of it and puts a nice, clean edge on the blade.

R119L.jpg

Gilbert - I recently got the Chef's Choice 314 (Costco version of the 320). Its an electric knife sharpener that uses diamond coated wheels to sharpen blades in two steps. If you look it up on Amazon.com it gets rave reviews (18 five star reviews, 6 four star reviews, 1 two star review). That's pretty impressive. More to the my experience, it worked great at putting a really sharp edge back on my kitchen knives. Everything from my $80 Henckel Chef's knife to the Chinese style slicing/dicing cleaver. You do need to read the instructions carefully. I practiced on an old cheap knife first. But it does really really well if you don't have the time (or in my case, skill) to hand sharpen. They won't be razor sharp, but pretty close!

Chef's%20Choice.jpg

I agree 100% with Jim in VA,....those Chef's Choice elec. sharpeners just like that are AWESOME!! They also make a 3 headed version like the 2 headed one shown,.....the 3 headed one has a slot for super-dull or damaged blades....it'll put an edge on them you can damn near shave with!! That's the one you want!!;)

I've got the Chef's Choice 314. It's quick, easy to use, and it works.

I use a chiefs choice then I take them to my buffing wheel, You can shave with them..Doesn't last a long time but they really get sharp...JR

Latest posts

Back