Kicker on txw 175

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timmypo 1

Reaction score
I'm Looking to put a 6hp merc as a kicker on my 2007 txw 175 becauase my area has alot of limited hp lakes i'd like to fish. Currently have a 50 hp 2stroke on it, so I dont think weight should be an issue. Dealers are telling me not to do it but I think that is just a liability issue. Any advice from anyone who has done it would be appreciated. Thanks

I've done an electric kicker (transom trolling motor). Can't see why not. You'll be plowing through the water instead of planing, but for the HP restricted lakes, why not? I did it because of fishing a couple of electric only reservoirs.

It will work just fine....my buddy had one on same rig for running very shallow water with thick cover, he had a separate bracket for it and small 3 gallon gas tank under seat storage area...

Thanks for the replies, but what I'm really looking for is advice on how it's been done. Their isn't enough room next to the main motor to just mount it. The transom also has a gusit plate on the corners which limits access, and to complicate matters more their's nothing solid in the transom to bolt through for a kicker plate. It's also a far reach from the access and blocked by foam, if I was to bolt through with a plate. Thinking I might have to lift the deck to do it but I'm not sure I want to take it that far.

thats why your dealer said not to.

i would guess it would void the warranty on the hull.

but if you must you could use the offset mounts sold by power pole. this mount attaches to the transom under your 50hp. not sure there is room on the other end to clamp a 6hp.

but is a thought. amd i'm sure it's on the right track. there may even be a kicker mount like this already on the market.

You can use a kicker motor bracket. It has a very small footprint mount on the transom and can hold a great amount of weight/thrust. Pretty common application for your description. I tagged an ebay listing, but BPS, Cabelas, and many others sell them like this and other configurations like a one piece, four bolt offset bracket. Good luck! ;)
http://compare.ebay.com/like/350327..._263602_304662&UA=WXI6&GUID=24731d4512e0a0aa1

Mike, I'd really appreciate it if you'd ask your buddy what he bolted to. From what I can see it would not be possible to hit two of the stringers in the transom. The transom on my boat is not solid it's just sheet aluminum with vertical stringers which the main motor bolts through. Their are another set of stringers beside the center but the bracket bolt pattern would only hit one. I don't know that I would trust the sheet metal to hold the motor but I could be wrong. I'm also not positive that the stringers are set up like I described am only guessing by the weld lines I can see coming through the back of the transom. I'd have to cut the foam out to see for sure and I didn't want to do that until I was sure I was going through with it. If you talk to him could you ask that as well? Thanks.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=407870....http://forums.iboats.com/Bass-Boats/Bass-Tracker

Timmy I must apologize, I called him as he lives about 3 hours from me and he never put it on his PT175 but had it on his alumcraft, sorry but found on another forum (above my comment) that this guy did put one on and you might be able to contact him...

best of luck

No problem mike, thanks for trying. I didn't think it was goona be that easy, believe it or not for some reason this info is very hard to come by. I also read the thread on iboats, and tried to contact the folks on it but I never received a reply. I would have thought this would have been a common topic because of how popular the boat is but I guess I'm wrong. Thanks again.

Don't give up. I have an "07 PT170 with a 25hp 4st and had the dealer mount the same bracket as Dan J. referenced. I use a 5hp 4st kicker. Dealer cut a hole in the rear deck, dug down into the foam to install the bottom bolts. The top bolts were fitted just above the carpeted rear deck and under the corner sheet of aluminum. I use the Helmsmate tiller motor extension handle with the "U" joint, so I steer from the drivers seat. Have had the kicker for 3 years and will trailer short distances 30-60 miles with the motor in place (but I tighten bolts on the adjustable bracket to minimize vibration). Also keep them tight while in the water. It all works OK, but if I were to do it all over again, I would probably look at a 24v or 36v bow mount trolling motor to replace the factory stock version. Probably get just as much speed, problem was I have no good place for the extra batteries. Hope this helps some. Just my 2 cents, but if I were going to drill into the transom, I would have it professionally done.

tracker

Back