Kicker Question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cris Ratzlaff

Reaction score
I know this is more a site for bass boats and I also know most bass boats do not have kicker motors...... but.... I have a Tracker Targa 2000 with a 200 hp merc and we like to do some trolling. Now with a 200 hp motor it is rather hard to troll slow enough. The Targa 2000 has a place for a kicker and also a built in gas tank for the kicker. Just wondering what size you all would recommend for a kicker. Would like to keep my weight down as much as possible.... because it seems that there is enough weight on the transom already with the main motor. I have been looking for a 4 hp merc. Do you think that would push a 20' boat around 1.5 to 2.5 mph? Any thoughts??? Thanks!!!

I wouldn't get anything any smaller than what you would want to get home with in rough seas should your main motor fail to run. I personally would go with something around a 10. I know you want to keep the weight down but you may need it to get you home one day.

Also in a wind I don't know if you could maintain that speed with a 4hp.

My 18' Targa has a 150 Opti 2 stroke and a 9.9 Mercury 4 stroke kicker. Both outboards are tied into the main 40 gallon gas tank. I'm in the process of installing an EZ Steer connector rod to both motors so when the steering wheel is turned, the rod connecting both motors turns the kicker too. And then I'm planning on installing a MasterTroll Pro 2 to the kicker to control the kicker throttle at the helm. The only downside to this is the kicker doesn't have an alternator and won't be charging the cranking battery up as we troll. But with 3 batteries on the boat, a jump start from one of the other 2 should get us going if need be. I haven't taken her out yet for her first shakedown run since I just bought all the necessary safety equipment, but soon I hope.

my 19 ft has a 90 hp and a 8hp merc kicker,and it will push it at 5mph max throttle, and troll all day at 1.0-whatever i want it to. it has remote throttle and a steering rod from main to 8 merc. i mix in my main tank so it uses the main tank gas line, i just put shutoffs on both lines so if there is a leak in the line it doesnt suck air and run out of fuel. seems to work good, have ran both at the same time with no problems.

The Yamaha 8hp T* was the top dog kicker for a long time... Then things got real interesting when Mercury added hydraulic trim and tilt and a different gearcase for their 9.9 Pro model. I would look at www.walleyecentral.com and www.walleyefirst.com for better information and advice. I run an old 2stroke Evinrude 9.9 and it pushes my 19" Aluminum Magna (Tracker's high side deep V).

There are usually a few used 4stroke kickers for sale on those two sites

Latest posts

Back