Ken/Craig/Dan J -Prop Q

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrepMan

Reaction score
Guys - How do I figure out what Prop my stock Aliminium is? IT's a 2000 Mercury 40hp 2 cylinder with the factor prop. I've look on the prop it self and there are a bunch of numbers and letters but it's hard to make it out (looks like it wasen't stamped hard enough into the prop). Any idea? I would assume any 40 Merc in the store would have the same factory prop - Any help??

Trep:

See if you can take a flashlight and shine it on the prop at an angle. I had the same problem with a poorly stamped, painted-over number, but the flashlight helped. Take your best guess at the letter/number combination and then post it.

Mine read: 48-832834-CI-23

The 23 meant 23-inch pitch and the 48-XXXXXX was the number for a Black Max 3-blade. Someone here will be able to ID your specific propeller.

MO

I've had to resort to pencil rubbing over the numbers to get a better interpretation. The last two numbers before the "P" are your pitch. With the exact number, you can find out all the details, (rake, dimensions, etc.). I'll be in the store in the morn. and check the rigging spec's for your hull. Will follow up with what I find. While all 40 Merc motors are similar, the hull and load dictate the prop specified.

Trep:

My 2001 40hp stock prop is a 10 3/8 dia x 14 pitch aluminum Black Max part# 48 816 706 A40 14P. That number is stamped on the side of the prop. The number was filled with paint. I had to clean it a bit to read it.

Bear

Prop is not standard on anything larger then a 25hp... so there for they will all be different, as far as finding out your pitch... it should say a number on the back of the hub ( facing the thrustwasher it will say something such as 10 3/8X14 ect...)that is Diameterx pitch...

Trep-Your original specs called for an aluminum prop 10 3/8" X 14". If you're looking to upgrade to a stainless, you may want to drop a pitch (13"). Let me know what I can do to help. I will be at the shop all day or follow up with an e-mail.

Dan - Just grabed the flashlight and here are the numbers I can make out - 4881676A4014P

Bear - Thanks for giving my the correct number of numbers! It helped as there were a few spots where I couldn't tell if there was a number or a scratch!

OK - so a 10 3/8 x 14, cool. Don't have the $ yet for a SS and from reading a bunch don't know if on this size/power of a boat if it would make much difference. I wanted it for 2 reasons (the prop size):

1 - Because a few friends asked and I had no clue.

2 - My aluminium is getting dinged up and wanted to have the right size so if I need to replace (aluminium or SS) i'd have it in my books!

Thanks guys!

Trep...stick with the aluminum. I don't think you'll see a real performance gain going to a stainless.

Craig

Trep - If it gets too ugly to handle, have it rebuilt. $40-$60. There are a few good prop shops close by. Craig is right, SS wouldn't help much, if at all. I'd rather chew up an aluminum than a stainless. Let me know if I can help.

Latest posts

Back