keelshield

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Rife

Reaction score
Im going to put the keelshield on tomorrow.

It says to go around the edges with marine sealent, what brand and how would you apply it?

Just go around the edges?

I talked to a lady at Keelshield Toxic said on fiberglass not to worry about sealing it...What do you reccomend?

Ed, mine has been installed on my 640TF for 5 years. No sealent. I am no expert on it, but I just don't see why it would be needed. Those things stick so good, nothing can get past the glue. Good luck.

Bubby:)

Ed....not trying to hijack your thread but did you catch any fish last time out?? and I would think they are saying after the install do the sealant but things tend to stick to fiberglass pretty easy....

Yea Mike I caught a few large mouth on a gitzit shad colored grub 2.5 inches long.

Fish where 14-17 inch range..There plenty of fish in Flannagan Resivoir the lake is clear you can see 20 feet strait down most of the lake2 or 3 creeks that have some color.

I caught all the fish at the Dam in clear water.The people that fish it Mike say it's a night fishing lake with big Smallies and Walleye..I love the place..I was going to go tomorrow but cant get any body to go with me so I started my install tonight I bought a 550 Humminbird for the bow and I got it mounted tonight and I'll probably finsh up in the morning and heat the Garage and Hull up and put the keelshield on...Maybe fish Sunday.

I called K&S and they told me on paint and Aluminum they would use a marine sealer on the keelshield after install but on Fiberglass I didnt need too..I didnt talk to them untill I had allready made the post about it. You guys are great I appreciate the input Mike that you and all the other guys give me..Maybe this coming Summer we can get together and fish a day or two.

Ed....glad you got the needed info, I'm one that if it doesn't need it don't do it...and that 550 sounds like a nice unit but here in the Florida lakes that I fish it so shallow any unit is really not needed, some of the guys here who fish the St.Johns use them on a regular basis. Best of luck with the install's and on Sunday too. I'm going to my favorite lake on Tuesday it's called Orange Lake and it has some super size fish.

Mike

Heated up the garage this morning (and the hull) and installed the keelshield it was too cold to go commando but we still got it on and in good shape lol. Took about an hour took our time cleaned ,scuffed,cleaned again then applied the actuator and then the Keelshield came out good..Warm here today 68 outside and I turned 2 big heaters on in the garage was 80 in there...

DSCF0149.JPG
DSCF0149.JPG

Looks great! It's fun tinkering with a new toy, huh? The best part is that it almost never ends. :D

My wife says it better end..lol but yes I like to tinker.

Latest posts

Back