KeelShield Install

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Hammer TOXIC

Reaction score
Well, I've studied them, sold them, done shows on them, but never installed them. It is about 80 degrees today here in sunny VA and I decided what the heck, let's see how bad I can muck up the install of my KeelShield. I wanted to do it by myself so that if anything could go wrong, it would go wrong!! Besides, I didn't want any witnesses.:p For all of you thinking about a beaching bumper let me tell you this....it's a snap. Yeah, everybody knows that I am sponsored by them but if it could be messed up I am the one who could do it. I've been putting off installing mine because I was afraid of what would happen. Here's how it went...

I first took it out of the package and let it lay face down on the hot asphalt of my driveway to get it good and warm. That also took out the memory from being rolled in the package.

Then I held it up to the boat and taped it in about 4 places with some heavy boxing tape. After that I outlined it with one of my daughters crayons (a purple one to be exact:)).

Then I just followed the directions cleaning and scuffing the hull and it went on just as advertised. Let me tell you that I have no doubt that nothing will get it off of my hull. That 3m adhesive is like iron!! It also covered up a nasty gouge and a lot of scratches. Personally I think it looks great!!

What do you think?

shield sm.jpg

shield1 sm.jpg

TOXIC

Looks good to me! But if you really wanted to see just how fool proof they are to install, you should have asked me to do it.:) Tox, how many colors do they some in?

Bill

ps, I posted a reply to you under the Good Mornin' thread. Wanted to make sure you saw it.

They come in 14 colors so you can either match the color of your hull or you can contrast it like I did. Today was "work on the boat day" for me. I had my pump outs quit working on the livewells and with the huge wells on the boat, it was a chore catching the fish out of them. I normally don't worry about it because since I don't tourney fish, I just use them for bringing in picture fish to the marina. KB cussed me out for them not working when he used it in the T he fished. I found both of the pump out fuses (3 amps each) were blown and that's not good. I traced my wires and made sure everything was tight and no corrosion and then replaced the fuses and filled my livewells from the hose. The driver side worked but the passenger side didn't. I was about ready to pull the batts. but when I listened closely, I could hear the pump running....hmmmmmmm......:huh: So then I climbed out of the boat and took a look at the pump out hole on the outside and guess what.....A mud dauber had sealed it up tight!!!:eek: I dug out what I could then I got the hose and back flushed it for a good long time and viola...it works great. You would not believe the junk that came out of that port!! Now let's just hope whatever caused both fuses to pop doesn't happen again. I also had the screws for the driver livewell lid come loose (I had already replaced them with bigger ones) and when I guided that kids tournament one of them got so excited, he pulled it right out of the boat:huh: I tried to pop-rivet it back but the angle of the hinge was too great, sooooo I ended up haking the hinge off completely and moving it over about 1/4 inch and re-sunk the holes....good as new!! I am good to go now. All systems up and running!! :)

Which way to the lake?

I'll give you a call Bill, we will get out. Maybe I can put a little flotilla together and we will make a day of it!!

TOXIC

So tox when are you going to come install one for me????:D

Jim, the hull has to be 70 degrees.......you ought to hit that temp. about the end of August!!:lol:

Now that I've done it, I'd be glad to lend a hand.

TOXIC

Looks good. Now all you need is a spare tire cover to cover your spare tire cover........lol

Do you have something it Maroon with gold and silver sparkles that will match my bout?

BF

If you saw the tire I covered up with that Nebraska cover, you'd be glad I did. I got a cheap white spoke rim as a spare!!:lol:

Can't do maroon...gotta stay with the he-man colors!!:p:lol::D

TOXIC

Toxic - I am truly amazed that even you were able to install that KeelGuard (oops - Shield). What really amazes me is that you got it going from the bow to the stern. I would have thought you would have put it on from port to starboard.:lol:

When are the Anna crew going to get together again?

Martie and I are off to Vegas for a week and back next Sunday. Let's try and set something up real soon.

Enjoy the holiday!!!!

Bill in VA

Hey Bill, we have been talking about the hot side get together with all of the families and such. We'll talk when you get back. There's no rush.

TOXIC

Latest posts

Back