Jimmy Houston vs B.A.S.S.

• Thread starter Steve Rizza [URL]http://www.bpsports.net/bpsports.
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Rizza

Reaction score
What do you guys think of the Jimmy Houston situation? Is it so bad wearing a beer patch? Or is he making too much out of it?

Is BASS doing the wrong thing? Or should they have busch banners and not make the guys wear the patches?

here is a link.
http://www.bpsports.net/bpsports.asp?ID=3849

I think the whole thing sucks. I think what BASS is doing is wrong. They shouldnt make any anglers wear any BASS sponsors patahes put up banners and be done with it. Jimmy says having that patch on goes against what he believes in and BASS should respect that. also what would they do if an angler is sponsored by another beer company not owned my Anheiser Busch? I would think that would be a conflict of interest for the angler. Who should the angler be loyal to? His personal sponsor or BASS? I also dont like that they make guys run skeeters or tritons in the bigger tournies. The classic they have always priovided boats but now guys who arent spondored bu those companies cany even use thier own boat. They are trying way too hard to be the FLW tour. I for one dont like it or the new elimination format. I for one really think what they are doing to Jimmy sucks.

I admire Jimmy. He's standing up for something he truly believes in. Sometimes when you stand up for what you believe in it means taking the loss and moving on. Having one's self esteem and integrity is more than sponsorships or B.A.S.S. Jimmy done the right thing for him and that's what counts. He decided he couldn't have it both ways, have a belief and partake in something he believes is in conflict with that belief.

Hats off to Jimmy! If he doesn't believe that having to wear a patch or have an emblem on his boat because Busch is a sponsor of B.A.S.S then he is taking a stand. Too often the pro's only look for sponsors to financially support their tour whether they really believe in their product or not. Jimmy has guts and conviction and its a shame that some of the others haven't followed suit. Read a great article on Jay Yelas last year about his christian values but I don't see him taking a stand like Jimmy.

You go boy and don't ever kiss that Busch sticker!

This country needs men like Jimmy. He's willing to stand up for what he believes, no matter the cost. President Bush is doing the same, he is paying a political price to do what's right. It's a good trend to start and I hope people take notice and follow their example.

Guys...its just fishing. If it were that big of a deal do you think the bible belt american south would watch the Busch Nascar Series or the Winston Cup Series? Just happens to be the largest spectator sport in America. No one said a darn thing when the purple Crown Royal boats came rolling into the sport.

No one says he has to drink it, nor does anyone say he has to like it.

I admire him for sticking to his beliefs, we do need more people like this, but in far more important areas in life, not just fishing.

There have been more people that have decided not to fish at all, and I dont think its true that he is the ONLY one fishing now without the patch, although I cannot think of another angler off the top of my head.

With all that said, I think BASS/ESPN is wrong to not award Classic points based on the patch/sticker. The money is a different story.

Mini

I give Jimmy a big hand for standing up for his beliefs. More people should do that.

But on the other hand. BASS is a Buisness and Money is what makes the Tournaments happen. Where would BASS be if all they collected was entry fees.

If Bass wants to make it mandatory to wear the patch. then any angler that want's to fish will have to wear it. My Game, My Rules.. Besides, We are talking about a BEER company patch not a political Veiw.

How many of us after a long day on the water pop open a cold Brew?? Having a couple beers is one thing. Getting stinking drunk and driving or boating is another.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong

John

Great point, John F! Biz is biz and if you don't like the company rules go work with someone else. There's other tours out there, fish the one that suits you best.

I hate to start crap with you, Bill H, but...what does Jay Yelas being Christian have anything to do with this? Last time I checked, Christ was cool with the consumption of alcohol. There's a rumor he even brews his own out of water.

Now, if I could only figure out how he made that one fish into forty...would definitely help me in tourney points!

It's sad...just sad that BASS would try to do that. I like Jimmy even though that laugh tends to get on a nerve.

TEE

I admire Jimmy for sticking to his guns.

Now, on the other hand. If he doesn't like the Busch Beer sponsorship, he has the choice to not do the patch thing (which he has chosen to do), or not fish at all. He has made his choice. B.A.S.S. is a private organization that has their rules, just like FLW, PGA, NBA, NFL, MLB, etc., etc.

They knew the rules going into the year. He made his decision. Again, I admire him for sticking to his guns, but it's really just his decision.

If we are going to throw bricks at rules, how about the whole Genmar/FLW rules whereby a professional is prohibited from wearing his sponsors emblems, if he does well.

Just remember, there is always more than one side to everything.

Tex

I agree Tex...he SHOULD have known the rules....and rules are rules REGARDLESS>

TEE

The difference is that the PGA, MLB, NBA, NFL etc. all have a group that represent the athletes. Bass fishing has a small budding oprganization. Look for that to change in the near future.

Mini

Since the anglers are all 'self employed contractors' . . . .

They might well have a 'group', but I doubt that it will carry much weight. Especially since there are two separate, successful 'leagues', and THOUSANDS waiting to get in (to professional fishing), for any reason.

Tex

This reminds me a bit of the old nfl days when the american and national leagues were seperate until they finally joined forces and had the superbowl. maybe that will happen in fishing also when the FLW and BASS finally join to have one big championship. We might be reading about kid's getting 'drafted' out of high school to be pro fisherman. Only in America! I think it wrong to force a competitor to wear any patch of any sponser. A sponser sponsers an event, not the participants. I admire Jay Yelas and Jimmy H. for sticking to what they believe. I think BASS and FLW could revaluate their positions in the future.

jd

James D. - I think having the two leagues is actually good, as they have different backgrounds and objectives. However, on the possiblity of them joining forces. When was the last time that you saw WalMart doing anything business wise, that did anything but line their pockets? Of course, that is how our business runs, for the most part.

If there is any 'joining' of the two groups, my money is on FLW buying out B.A.S.S. from ESPN.

Tex

Tex,....I said the same thing to Mini not long ago...I can see that happening in a couple of years...Irwin buying BASS to eliminate the competition!!!...LOL (Stranger things have happened!!!...it happens all the time in business!!)

I'm just sick of the pi$$in match that has evolved between the 2 circuits. In one breath last year they each said it was good having the other around and that they all just wanted to promote the sport. They also said that any conflicts in tourneys schedules was mere coincidence and it is avoided whenever possible. BS, this year, their at each other throats in a civil, PR kind of way, and the direct conflict in tourney schedules a lot of times is NOT by coincidence. Each circuit is testing the water to see who will go and who will stay. And who suffers during all this? The anglers. But like everyone has said....it's business. And if you want to fish, you gotta do it by their rules.

The PAA (Professional Anglers Association) will get stronger and eventually be at a level of what the PGA is. The PAA is a different body from the Athletes Advisory Council that ESPN created to get feedback from its anglers.

I dont see Irwin buying out BASS from ESPN. I do see having to earn your "Pro" card from a combination of school, experience in tournaments AND a USCG inspection and test. Once that happens, the PAA will be asked to fish an event by the prganizers and not have to pay entry fees. The paybacks will come from Sponsors and advertising. Very similar to golf today.

Mini

I know it won't matter to them but I was about to rejoin bass. I dropped out when espn bought them. There game there rules thats fine I don't have to play on there water. Mr Houston is 100% right his right to chose may be way down the list but the RIGHT TO CHOOSE is one of the reasons the USA is at war. Mr Houston is in good company when it comes to bucking the system I think Mini compared it to nascar at 1 point and if you follow this sport you may or may not notice 1 difference.. If you don't wear the patch or the decal you can not recive there money.. You won't see a Petty car at the Bud Shootout or getting extra money because Richard/Kyle refuse to carry there logo. They don't boycott but they will not promote either.

BF

My thoughts exactly. No patch/sticker no money, but let the points ride. You dont need to promote the points thing, but if you want the cash your likeness is going to be used.

Mini

Ok, been reading this topic here a while, and here's my couple cents worth.......

While I admire Jimmy Houston, and agree with his "freedom of choice", it's his choice to "wear the patch" or not, I personally don't think it's that big of a deal, I've been a stock car fan since the early 70's, and whether it's "Winston Cup" or "Busch", it's just stock car racing to me.

Same with this, whether there's a "Busch" banner at the weigh ins, or a "Busch" sticker on the boat, it's still fishing to me, not "Busch bass fishing", but fishing, plain and simple. So, Jimmy, you don't want to wear the patch, more power to ya bud, you're still one of my favorites either way.

In an age when everything from sports stadiums, to COLLEGE-(amateur) bowl games, to golf tournaments, to auto racing, to fishing tournaments,to just about anything else you can think of, has sponsorships and sponsor$$$ incoming , I just don't understand why this whole Busch thing is a big deal at all. "But then, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong", (sorry Dennis Miller,lol)- egMike

I agree,....corporate sponsorship and their money is the ONLY thing that's going to elavate this sport to the level that BASS/ESPN and the FLW are trying to take it to. You will NEVER see or hear Denny Brauer promoting Busch beer in one of his seminars...nor will you ever see or hear the Crown Royal Team promoting whiskey anywhere near a public place that is family oriented!! (They do however have to make a couple of "appearances" at sports bars, or nightclubs etc. that are "21 and over") Those guys all have a very lucrative 6 figure contract with those companies to "display the name" and they agree to follow their contractual rules as well as the tournament organizers rules. It all boils down to a matter of "choice"...I don't think it's necessarily fair to ban somebody from fishing a championship event because they don't wear a certain "patch",...but i do think it's fair to not reward them with the cash if it specifically states in the rules that the patch must be worn in order to get the money! There's always room for compromise and I bet we'll see some next year!! I respect the decisions of all those who said "NO" like Jimmy, Jay, David Walker, Clark Wendlandt, and many others...I just hate to see them not be able to fish the Classic solely because of that decision and that one alone!! That's not right!! I hope it changes for 2004!

IMHO!!

Mac

Latest posts

Back