It's raining!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich Stern

Reaction score
How low is the water on Lanier and Hartwell? Last week, Jeanne and I decided to go to the movies instead of going fishing. That's how low.

But, today, for the first time in long a while, we are actually getting heavy rain volume in the Lanier and Hartwell basins. Hartwell has gotten 3" of rain in the last 24 hours. Haven't seen that kind of volume in one day for several years.

Of course, we need another week of this, but it's a start!

Rich,

I wish i could send you some of our rain. We have had more of it then we have had sun in the north east for the last few weeks. Actually the 4 days have been the driest stretch we have had for a while.

Don't need the rain but would love the cloud cover! Happy for you folks down there.

The lake is climbing by the minute. (From about 18.5 below pool.) I hope we get a few feet by the end of this. The COE will decide. (In their infinite wisdom displayed so far. :wacko: ) The really good thing is as the rain ends, it'll be hot as fire topwater action until turnover starts late Fall!! WOOHOO!! :D

Send it north, I have not mowed in over three weeks and the fish I do find, don't want to leave the livewell and the cool fresh water (thanks to the ice)

BF

It's amazing how fast things can get right. In 2006 and early 2007 our lakes here in Oklahoma were so far down you could walk across places where before you could run on pad. Spring of 07 we started getting rain and more rain and more rain and within a month or two the problem became flooding. Don't give up hope.

The basin for Hartwell got over 5" of rain in the last 24 hours. That's more in one day than we've seen in any prior month this year.

Dan, any idea what kind of rainfall for Lanier in the last 24?

Gainesville recorded 10.35", but the comunities' feeder tributaries up here had more or less as well. At the cfm's coming in, we're averaging about 1/4" rise every six-ish hours at current discharge. If the corps will maintain or decrease their current discharge rates, we could rise a foot to a foot and a half. If it rides a similar track, Gustav could give us a few more feet comparing current sizes with Fay. Check out the link below then go to the main page and hunt around. These are all the USACE stats at Buford Dam.
http://water.sam.usace.army.mil/acfframe.htm

Dan, that's excellent. We finished with about 5.9" of rain over about 30 hours. Hartwell has already risen over a foot since the rain started, and isn't slowing down.

All the creeks near our neighborhood are pretty swolen. They'll have time to drain down again before Gustav can get here.

Those of you in the gulf region, stay safe and just pass the water up north to us.

Latest posts

Back