Is the fuel pump bad?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lonnie Current

Reaction score
Yesterday I idled a long way getting out of a stumpy creek. Then my 1995 20' Nitro 200 hp Mariner would not get on plane, the over heat signal went off and I backed off to an idle and it quit. Partner had to get on the front deck and it came over. On plane it ran fine to the next timber. I idled a little ways and it came on plane but labored to do so. I had a full live well and 3/4 tank of fuel. My partner said it was the fuel pump and needed to be replaced immediately and was a $700 part, ouch. This happened once before a yr ago and trusted mechanic found nothing wrong. Prop is a 25 pitch and he suggested a 24. No more problems until now???? so I haven't changed the prop. What do you think?

Could be any number of things....I take it you have run it with the current set-up before now and there was no problem correct? When was the last time you ran it? When was the last time you changed the bulb/filters and how old are they? Where do you get your fuel? Did it have old gas or fresh fill? What is your Water Pressure/RPMS when you are trying to get on plane? Carbed or EFI? Lots of questions!!

Tox I've had this boat two yrs. It's happen twice, sometime after I first got it and now. Its EFI with always fresh gas and no ethanol since I've owned it. Have never changed the bulb or filters, water pressure is 15 or above and when trying to get on plane the rpm were not max, can't remember exactly but maybe around 3-4K. All these questions you ask are helpful, thanks, You helped me understand I better be calling the man that knows all this stuff and can make the test today. Test don't guess. It starts and runs good and will run 5+K rpm on plane did so after the incident.

Thanks. I'll let you know what he says.

I would have the bulb and fuel line inspected for the non-ethenol lines and replace immediately.

I know you said no ethenol EVER, but honestly did you test every tank of gas? I do not trust a single gas station owner....well maybe one, but I dont buy his gas...its too expensive! I just fish with the guy every now and again :)

Most pumps have one hose. If the person before you used ethanol it will be in the hose until it's flushed out with non alchol gas. I seen one guy last year fill his truck first then put boat gas in.

fatrap

The gas lines were changed before I got this boat. Mini so right you are. Who knows what the guy driving the fuel delivery truck put into the tank that was half full of 10%. Anyway, took the Nitro to the lake today and it ran like a scalded dog. Stopped and fish awhile. On plane again no problem. Caught some crappie and pumped the live well so full of water it was about to run out the top. Jumped right on plane before it cleared 3500 rpm. It was much cooler (weather wise) today than Monday when I had the problem. Tomorrow, plow the garden, mow the grass then back on the water, We'll see? Thanks everyone for the info. You always help me think of things I don't think about or know about. Fatrap I think I might start taking a lawnmower gas 'can' and fill it before my boat.

I have no idea if the two motors are the same, mine is the 09 200 opti, just had it in the shop for similar situation. The ignition coil on the #1 cyl was intermittently not working causing it to run rough and hard to get on plane.

Had a similar issue and the problem was the "anti-syphon" valve ($1.65) from the internal gas tank. When that valve goes bad the fuel pump can't pull enough gas into the power head. Symptoms are very similar to a bad fuel pump and Nitro has a history with this valve. Make sure you check it before changing the fuel pump. FYI if this valve is bad and you leave it for too long it will burn out the fuel pump.

Latest posts

Back