Instrument Panel Brightness

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard Hodge2

Reaction score
We took our 189 sport out night fishing the first time and I noticed the gauges light up with much brightness with nav lights on. The brightness and glare off the windshield was so much that I felt more comfortable standing to navigate. I'm wondering if there is a way to turn them off or maybe put some kind of dimmer (is it a reostat?) to at least cut them down. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. When my eyes get adjusted to darkness then suddenly those brightly lit gauges come on I have the hardest time seeing and I'm not liking the notion of driving by brail. I've already applied some carpet to the console for daytime glare, but if someone could please help me with those lights. If a reostat is connected is there one point to connect wiring or would I have to connect to each gauge light? Would it connect directly to the nav light switch? Or should I consider being able to switch them off? I've never owned a boat with gauges and I do glance at them but tend to spend more time watching the water ahead than gauges. They don't appear to be terribly accurate either so I'd rather see that obstacle than my mini christmas display.:lol: Would love to hear what others do or think.

Hmmmmm.... don't know about your specific boat but my 929 had a dimmer switch on the dash as standard equipment. If yours does not, it would be an easy install.

TOXIC

Thanks guys. Byron that bbcboard post look great. I'll soon look into that if I can now find the free bow pigtail I was hoping to use for fish finder. I've read of it here someplace and need to do a search. The only available wiring I see to tap into would be the bow engine trim switch wiring.

Thanks again for the replies!

To correct that same problem on my PT185 I just took out the bulbs and painted them with a green permanent marker pen. No more excessive glare now. You may also check your local auto parts store for different colored bulbs.

Latest posts

Back