Info for Toyota Tundra Fans....

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill McElroy

Reaction score
Toyota Tundra May Be Recalled

The Detroit News

By Christine Tierney

May 31, 2007

Toyota Motor Corp. faces a costly setback in the biggest U.S. vehicle launch in its history after owners of its new Tundra pickup reported engine failures.

The Japanese automaker may recall Tundras equipped with 5.7-liter V-8s to replace the engines, a company spokesman said Wednesday.

The trouble with the Tundra's 5.7-liter engines, the most powerful engine available on the new pickup, is the latest in a series of recalls and problems that have dented Toyota's reputation.

The automaker set the industry standards for vehicle quality, but now seems to be straining to maintain top quality as it expands overseas, builds factories and hires thousands of new workers.

"It's really tough," said Karl Brauer, editor of Edmunds.com, an automotive research Web site. "Engine failure kills a car's ability to run and it's not a simple thing to fix."

Such a problem is also likely to affect residual values, he said.

Industry experts say Toyota is extremely vulnerable to negative publicity because of its prominence in the industry.

In the first quarter of 2007, Toyota overtook General Motors Corp. to become the world's leading automaker in terms of sales.

With the launch of the Tundra earlier this year, Toyota aims to double its share of the lucrative full-size pickup market, one of the few segments still dominated by the U.S. automakers.

Toyota officials characterize the Tundra launch as the most important introduction in the company's history in the United States.

The rollout has suffered delays and disappointments. For instance, the Tundra earned lower frontal crash scores than domestic rivals such as the Ford F-150 and Dodge Ram.

But the engine problem is more damaging and could slow the vehicle's brisk sales momentum.

Company spokesman Bill Kwong said Toyota realized in February that there was a problem with the camshafts delivered by a supplier for the 5.7-liter engine, and the automaker ordered the necessary changes to production.

Still, Toyota has seen 20 cases of engine failure in trucks equipped with 5.7-liter engines, although no injuries have been reported.

Toyota is now studying how many of the 30,000 5.7-liter engines it built are affected.

Toyota builds the Tundra pickup at assembly plants in Princeton, Ind., and San Antonio, Texas, and makes the engines in Alabama.

The automaker hopes to sell 200,000 new Tundras this year, compared with 124,508 previous-generation Tundras in 2006.

But U.S. automakers are holding their own in the pickup market, and GM has been successful with its new Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra trucks.

In contrast to their performance in the car market, where they have been pushed back by Japanese nameplates, American manufacturers account for more than 90 percent of full-size pickup sales, which totaled 2.2 million units in 2006.

Surprised that the Detroit News even picked the story up....about time people hear about Toyota's failures...

:huh::unsure::blink:

BTW...you guys know me as mostly a GM man but, you guys been reading the initial reports back on the 07' GM trucks...it ain't too hot either:eek:

TEE,

I haven't heard anything bad on the new GM trucks. What's going on with them?

I really hate to see any manufacturer having problems with their vehicles, as it is the consumer that is going to suffer in the long run. Even with a recall, the consumer is still inconvinienced at the very least.

I really don't take pleasure in hearing the trucks are breaking. Particularly since one of our own members here just recently bought one. I hope his wasn't in that group with the problems, and I hope he gets plenty of his enjoyment out of it.

All the best,

Glenn

So far, there have been 20 engines identified....out of 30 thousand, these were in the earliest run of engines and the issue was identified very early on.

They are not recalling the Tundras, but if an engine is ID'd as affected - they are replacing the entire engine... this only affects the very first run of engines, possbily less than 50 total.

I don't know why the hype, it was only a matter of time b4 toyota had issues with their vehicles, same as every other manufacture, so this is not suprising to me at all......

Go to Fullsizechevy.com and gm-trucks.com

Nothing seriuos as I can see it but, a few complaints about fit and finish along with wind noises,vibrations and whatnot.

I think anything the first year is gonna have bugs whether it be GM or Toyata;)

I will add...at least Toyata is replacing engines. GM would just make a TSB on it:angry:

I'll post any other stuff I see or receive on ALL mfgr's......regardless. The more "informed" we all are,..the better......'cuz you certainly won't get ALL of the facts in the papers!

Uh...you'd better think again there Mike:lol:

I've owned enough GM's in my life not to believe that lie.

Intake gaskets, head gaskets, full pumps & regulators....should I continue?

OK...NBS....intermediate steering shafts, wind noises, still same ol' tranny problems...should I continue ?:p

I'll post any other stuff I see or receive on ALL mfgr's......regardless. The more "informed" we all are,..the better......'cuz you certainly won't get ALL of the facts in the papers!

Here's some more interesting facts......:rolleyes:

Subject: FW: Toyota Recalls

Roger Simmermaker is the author of How Americans Can Buy American: The Power of Consumer Patriotism. He also writes "Buy American Mention of the Week"

---------------

Thunder on the Tundra: Toyota Trucks Ahead in 2007 Recalls

If you've merely done a moderate amount of Internet surfing or cracked open a newspaper lately - just about any newspaper - you've undoubtedly seen the news that Toyota has once again passed Ford in worldwide auto sales and may pass GM sometime this year.

But what you may not have seen is that Toyota has already passed both Ford and GM in a differ end category - automotive recalls.

Although we've barely passed mid-February, Toyota has already recalled! 533,417 vehicles this year in a mix that, according to www.AutoRecalls.us, includes Tundras Sequoias and Camry

and,...the 2nd half of the article...

* A 2004 Consumer Reports ranking selected the Buick Regal as the most reliable among family sedans, beating the Toyota Camry, Honda Accord and Nissan Maxima. They also gave recommended ratings for four Ford m odels, including the Ford Focus.

* J.D. Power and Associates awarded Cadillac's Lansing Grand River assembly center its highest honor - the Gold Plant Quality Award - in 2004.

* An August 4, 2004 Wall Street Journal article said Toyota's lead in quality and reliability has narrowed in some segments and disappeared in others. Quality problems were reportedly "mushrooming."

* The Toyota Camry hasn't been awarded the best in its segment since the year 2000, but many Americans continue to regard it as the number one model in terms of quality. Toyota's Kentucky Camry plant was awarded with high initial quality rankings by J.D. Power from the late 1980s through the 1990s, but it plummeted to number 26 in 2002, improving to only number 14 in 2004, while two GM factories and one Ford factory took the top three spots that year.

* In a J.D. Power Initial Quality Survey of new 2004 cars, Chevy placed second behind Honda and Toyota sank to number three.

* As far back as at least 2003, Business Week has reported that American consumers regard certain foreign cars as better built than American cars, even when facts prove otherwise.

* Fast-forwarding to 2006, J.D. Power shows Mercury, Buick and Cadillac beat Toyota in a list of dependable cars. Two Buicks and a Mercury took the top three midsize car awards; Mercury, Ford and Buick took the top three large car awards; Ford took the midsize van award and the midsize truck award; and GMC and Cadillac took the large MAV (multi-purpose activity vehicle) and large premium MAV awards, respectively.

* In an article about trust issues, Business Week's December 11, 2006 issue stated "GM's quality nearly equals Toyota's." Perceived quality among the American public is another story, however. The difference between the actual quality of American cars and the perceived quality of American cars is the "perception gap."

* In the same article, J.D. Power's director for retail research said "Actual quality is so close." discussing the quality rankings of GMC, Chevrolet and Cadillac placing them on par with both Honda and Toyota.

* And most recently, of course, the Ford Fusion and Mercury Milan beat the Honda Accord and Toyota Camry according to Consumer Reports.

What's needed among automotive senior executives, and much of the media as well, is a return to intellectual honesty. Everyone tends to have their favorites and biases (mine are pretty obvious) but I pride myself in sticking with the facts to back up my comments.

When Toyotas North American president says that the quality gap isn't really closing, he's not being intellectually honest.

Some editorial writers aren't either. When Douglas Brinkley trumpeted Indiana's success in a Wall Street Journal article last year for attracting a Honda plant to their state - even though it took $ 140 million in tax credits and incentives - he wasn't what you would call "intellectually honest." In an apparent attempt to convince the reader that Honda doesn't send any automobiles to the U.S. from outside the country, he said the

following: "Turning farm fields into factories, that's what Henry Ford used to do. Today, in the heartland, it's being done by Honda - a company that doesn't manufacture imports but builds American-made cars."

Such statements lead the reader to think that some Japanese companies make all of their cars in the USA. Hardly. In fact, according to a January 8, 2007 Wall Street Journal article, the NAP ratio - a ratio that compares how many cars are built in North America vs. the number of cars imported - is slipping for Toyota. And according to Toyota internal documenta

I still like my GM's but, I won't support anything I know not to be true:lol:

TEE, its no lie to me, cuz I've owned 4 so far, my dad has all his life and we have never had any issues so its true to me

Toyota has had NUMEROUS problems with their vehicles, you just dont hear about it like you do with american made.....why oh why are we so against what is our own?

This is just info guys,........not a slam directed at anyone...EVERY mfgr has problems,....some are just not "reported" as often or as accurately as others....so we need to clarify that!! ;)

BTW,..we just lost 3 more people today in my dept. because of "outsourcing":angry:

Carry on...

:lol:

You know me by now Mac...I may be loyal but, I ain't stupid enough to swear by em';)

There are no active recalls on the 2007 Toyota Tundra (that I am aware of) - there are 20 'known' cases of that engine problem that you first mentioned, and those have been corrected... And those weren't 'recalled' but dealt with when found, and Toyota is currently identifying and contacting customers that may be affected by it - and replacing the entire engine in said cases.

Take a look right here:

http://www.autorecalls.us/aut-01/recalls/toyota/index.html

and tell me where tehre are any recalls for the 2007 Tundra?

As a Tundra owner, with the 5.7, I've been paying attention very well to this issue.

I respect you Mac, but that article is not only biased, but outright incorrect in several key areas.

http://www.autorecalls.us/aut-01/recalls/toyota/index.html

I don't have a dog in this fight but before I head to China in the morning, Notice NO recalls on Kia Minivans!!!! BBBWWWAAAAAAAA:D:D:D:D

"It's really tough," said Karl Brauer, editor of Edmunds.com, an automotive research Web site. "Engine failure kills a car's ability to run and it's not a simple thing to fix."

Engine failure kills a car's ability to run ?????? Huh, who'da thunk it ??? :wacko::wacko:

Steve
4631.gif

Yep - I was thinking the same thing Steve. Sounds like something John Madden would say, doesn't it?

"errggrr... you see, what we have here is an engine, that is causing the car to not run properly, and when you have a problem with an engine not causing a car to run properly, then BOOM, that's gonna give ya some problems... and that's what that's all about".

All the best,

Glenn

BWAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!! That's a perfect Madden.!!! You nailed it...:lol::lol:

Steve
4631.gif

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH @ Glenn!!!!!!

I was a dedicated Chevy guy growing up. I always worked on farms cutting tobacco for extra money, etc.. I was always told by the old timers in my life that you can drive whatever car you want to drive but when it came time to get a truck, you're an idiot if you don't get a ford.

Not to start anything here but I've found that to ge true..

Uncle Billy

Ok, I'm a chevrolet dealership technician. I see A LOT of problems with gm cars and trucks. You know what? I have friends that work and have worked for just about every car mfg out there. They all have problems, they will all break down, and when your own car/truck breaks down, it is the biggest piece of @#$% on the road. I said it about my own stuff when it breaks. Roughly said, A vehicle is a hunk of rubber, plastic, and metal, designed by humans, built by machines, designed by humans, (mostly). It is only as good as the people that built it, and by the person who drives it. You have all seen these people hauling ass down the road, 80mph, towing 10000 lbs. NOT REAL BRIGHT!!! I am a chevy fan, but more importantly, I am an auto enthusiast. Take care of your vehicle and it will take care of you, period.

Been an interesting read. My only experience with a Tundra is the one a friend of mine bought new several years ago, replacing his tried and true Chevy pickup. He kept it 9 months, traded it in on a new Chevy - even though he took a beating. He simply did not like the truck, compared to a Chevy Truck.

For me, I still pretty much buy either Ford or GM (I abandoned Chrysler many years ago - due to resale value mostly). Have one of each right now. One has 118K miles (Mountaineer) and the other 158K miles (LeSabre). Both are paid for, and run well. I do rountine maintenace, and keep them in good shape.

Tex

Uncle Billy - I can't speak for Toyota, as I've never worked on one, but I have worked on Chevy's, Dodges, and Fords.

Of the three, Ford almost made me lose my all my senses. Everything was so tightly compacted into the space, you would have to be a contortionist midget to get to "maintenance" items (filters, plugs, etc...). Stuff like on my wifes Focus - you take the oil filter off, and oil drips / spashes all over the inner CV joint boot. I had to make this little aluminum foil "drip pan" around it to keep oil off of it. Everything I had to do on Fords drove me bonkers. I'm a "maintenance guy" - I do all my own stuff... and Ford drove me bonkers.

Chevy was the one I had most experience with up to September 13th, 2002 - the date of my big head-on collision, and my switch to a Dodge Ram. The thing I really loved about owning a Chevy - you could walk into most any parts store, and say "I need a (???)", and 9 out of 10 times - they had it in stock, or could get it from another store down the street. Parts were SO very accessable - I loved it. The vehicles were easy to work on for the most part - spark plugs drove me nuts on my Chevy Blazer - easiest way to change those was to jack up the front of the truck and go in through the flap on the fender well. But everything else was fairly straighforward, and I enjoyed working on them.

When I switched to Dodge, and climbed under the truck for the first oil-change, I looked at this black plastic piece under the oil filter, and thought "what the heck is THAT thing for?". As I started to unscrew the filter, I realized I could SIT UPRIGHT while under my truck (the front end was up on car ramps). TONS of room under there. So, I get my filter wrench around the filter, and think "man, cool - no hoses in the way". As I start to unscrew the filter, it hits me what this little black plastic thing is - it's a drip funnel that keeps the oil from the filter from hitting ANYTHING underneath it. COOL!!! Someone was thinking when they built that. I know it's just a little thing, but for someone that does maintenance, and can't stand oil where it shouldn't be (outside the engine), it's a really neat little thing to have. Air filter changes - easy. Spark plugs.... well.... get a swivel head for the ratchet, and then they are fairly easy too. Most everything on that truck - easy to maintain. I've been really impressed by the thought that goes into placement of items for ease of maintenance on the Ram trucks. That is one of the many reasons I bought my second one last month.

Nissan.... don't get me started. Parts - non existant other than dealer. Contortionist / midget needed here too. And build up a savings account, cause your going to need it when something breaks - parts were the most expensive of any vehicle I've ever had.

Honda - I haven't worked on / driven any of their new trucks.... but when I see a full size (bigger than the Ridgeline) with a full size engine, they might be worth a look. Of the Toyota / Nissan / Honda foreign vehicles, I think Honda has the best engines of all three. I'd like to see them with a full size, 4x4 truck with a V8 engine of good proportion. And holy cow! Step back if Honda ever decides to build a deisel truck. I'm sure the quality would be unbeatable.... but for now - Honda has nothing that interests me.

All the best,

Glenn

Hey Mac - Would you believe in Shanghai 95% of ALL minivans are Buicks!!! I'm serious, GM has a huge plant/government contract building minivans !!! Very different where in GA GM shut the doraville Minivan plant 'cause so few american's are buying the GM minivans compared to the Toyota/Honda and others. And minivans are HUGELY popular for expat's over here, so GM is making a killing!

Trep

Trep....The chinese love Buicks because they can pronounce it...LOL..No "L"'s in it!! LOL

Sim,...I just copied and pasted....didn't edit, add or delete :cool:. Like I said, I'll post any info I receive on ALL mfgr's.....and I can relate to the erroneous info.........GM has been bashed by the US media for decades,..and ALOT of it was false and/or VERY misleading. (..and a lot of it was warranted and TRUE!!:( )

Latest posts

Back