Improper readout on gas gauge

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matthew Babcock

Reaction score
I ran my 2011 nitro z7 today and I was getting an improper read out on my gas gauge. It was reading half full when in reality it was almost empty. I know I know I should not rely on my gauges.....any ideas on how to remedy the issue? Thanks:blink:

Some boats you can see the gas tank and tell that way. I did that with my Nitro. You can always try another sending unit but they are a b$(th to replace on most boats. Some people just top off the tank every trip and keep it that way.

fatrap

The Z7 tank has a sump in the middle that holds several gallons. When the side of my tank looks empty I still have 1/4 tank left according to my Smartcraft gauge.

I took my first boat, 2000 Tin boat with a 90 Yammy up the Savannah River to see how much range I had on fuel, I watched the fuel guage and my plans were to turn around, I went up river, just before 1/2 tank...I was very pleased until I hit a wave and my fuel guage said I was almost empty. Turned around and 3 hours later on the current and trolling motor I arrived back at the ramp.

The electrical connector that plug into the back of the fuel guage on my Z7 wasn't tight and gave me a false reading.

Mine better be accurate in the Ranger because the tanks are under the seats. 2 tanks @ 24 gal each. The Black Pearl is gonna cost a Black Pearl to fill up!!:lol:

For what?:lol: I had the seats out this last weekend doing our re-hab at Carlos' house, there's no way to do that at the gas station!! Or on the lake!!:lol:

Drill driver and you are good! lol

You will need to get the seat out eventually....

Oh for your sake....make sure you keep all plastics from going into your bilge. Those Yamamotos get HUGE when they are water logged! Remember those I pulled out the first year I had the Ranger? lol

I already pulled more crap out of this bilge than I wanted to see:eek:. There we're some plastics in there that were as hard as nails!!they were petrified!! Its got a gallon of super clean soaking it now. I'll drain it out before I head back to Carlos' to put the new axles on the trailer and round 2 of the rehab. :cool:

Latest posts

Back