I need your help! Local lake rules are killing me!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty C.

Reaction score
I took my boat to go fishing at a local public lake which is maintained by the local parks and recreation department. When I arrived at the boat launch, I was met by a employee of the rec department. He told me I could not launch my boat because it is too long. My boat is 17 1/2 feet long. The lake limit is 16 feet 11 inches. They are VERY strict on the rules and regulations. So I am 7 inches too long to launch. Believe it or not, there isn't a maximum horsepower rule for the lake other than the motor cannot exceed what the boat's hp rating. Keep in mind, these rules were put in place 30 years or more ago. I am trying to submit something to the board of the rec dept. to have the lake rules and regulations updated. Can you still buy a bass boat that small? Even if you could, who would want to buy it? That seems dangerous. I know I would end up snagging someone or I would get snagged simply because of being in a small boat.

I had a nice long chat with the person in charge of the lake division and he said he would love to see the rules get changed and updated. I explained to him that I am not trying to get on the water to ski or joyride. I will probably will only use the trolling motor anyway. My father is 67 years old and still is in pretty good shape and he enjoys to fish. I would like to be able to take my father fishing somewhere local in case there was an emergency as opposed to taking him to a huge lake that is a hour and half away; not to mention having to spend $3 a gallon to get there.

What I need from you guys is for you to tell me any local lakes uner 300 acres that you know of that allow boats over 17 1/2 feet on the water or any local lakes that do not have a length limit. The lake I am trying to get my boat in is around 170+ acres, so any lake close to that as possible would be a great help. If I can produce several comparable lakes that don't have a length limit or at least a limit longer than 17 1/2 feet, the board will consider the change.

Please help!

Rusty:(

I have never heard of such a thing... Here in Pa. it is just electric only, 9.9 hp or less, a few that are 18 hp or less, or unlimited hp. As long as you meet the motor requirements,it doesn't matter how long the boat is.

Good luck getting the rule changed,it seems like a useless one to me.

Steve

I live in Indiana the only limitations here is the smaller state lakes is 9.9hp or less or electric only in some but no size limit, i Have seen pontoons in some of the 150 acre electric only lakes! Steven

Rusty - one option is to pick up a small jon-type boat to run local lakes. I just got a deal on an old Watertender 12 (precursor to the Basstenders) that I picked up this weekend. Its a bit worn, but serviceable and a steal at $600 for the boat and trailer. I plan on using it on the local hp restricted lakes and electric only ponds. Just a thought. Keep an eye on craigslist.com for your area or ebay.

Good luck - sometimes its not worth the hassle to fight city hall!

JC

I live in Iowa and have never heard of a length limit on boats. I have seen electric motor only or 9.9 hp limit or no wake limits but never in any state I have visited have I heard of a length limit. Has anybody heard of this before? I have also seen no inboards and no jet boat limits But never anything to do with length.

The questions gotta be...What in the heck does the length of a boat have to do with anything???? I'd make the authorities explain that one to me!! And make them put it in writing!! Motor type and size.... yes, but length????? I've seen 17ft swamp jons on electric only lakes (they put 4 TM's on them) and I've seen 23 ft pontoons that are electric motor powered.

TOXIC

Rusty - didn't mean to imply you shouldn't fight City Hall. Sometimes, the fight is worth fighting even if the cost outweighs the benefit. I was just trying to point out less costly options in case they hadn't crossed your mind. I wish you luck in your fight (seriously!). Regulators - particularly state-level regulators, can be a difficult set of folks to work with. Even if the people are willing, a lot of times the bureaucracy can be overwhelming. You have my utmost admiration and respect for trying to update what appears to be an absolutely arbitrary and ridiculous regulation.

JC

Here in West Tennessee the small lakes either will be electric only (can use your bass boat, just can't run the outboard) or have an idle speed only rule. None of them have a horsepower or length regulation.

A popular reason I've seen used is that bigger boats are generally designed for larger loads, creating more displacement (wake), contibuting to greater erosion. For decades many lakes, public and private, have had length limits enforced citing that reason. (Although many times the limiting text is buried somewhere in the mumbo-jumbo. LOL!) Hopefully, they can make exception for you and your Dad. Good luck getting around it!

Latest posts

Back