I fixed it

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlie Nethaway

Reaction score
Well guys here I go again, first I want to say I have been catching tons of nice size sand bass wile looking for the sidelines. As you most know my motor has been ideling rough and loss of top end, this is all after I found the broken oil pump linkage.

So I ordered the service manual for my motor.

I returned a BPS rod because the handle fell in two, is it me or is the only thing that is any good in that store needs to be a name brand?

Ok I came home sat night after hooking my boss up with about 40 big sandies and one stripper at 5lbs, he was stoked.

ok got out the manual and made sure I had the oil pump linkage set correct and it was off little, then I checked the Low Speed Mixture Adjustment screws to see where they were set and if they were equal and I found the top carb set at 1/4 turn out from seat ant the middle and bottom were 1 1/4 turns so I turned the top to match the other two, went out Sun. evening and it seems to be running really good, I can adjust it so it will be at its peek, I put the stock prop on so I wasn't able to see if I got top end back yet but it seemed to run good and idle fine.

HERE is the kicker HOW IN THE H~@## did that one get off??? the only one in there was the tech. that did the tune up and that's when it started smoking real bad ($160 tune up), then when I took it back TWICE and told them it was too much smoke the said it was ok.

Well I found the broken linkage and now I found the mixture screw turned in.......(was that what the tech. did to make it stop smoking? or were those two things to chase me off or bring me back to take me for more of my money??)

Im not too sure what to think of it all, AlI know is I don't trust Dusty Rhodes or Tracker Service at BPS Dallas they have not shown me anything that makes me think they are professional in any way, and I could not recommend them or a Tracker boat to anyone that is not mechanically inclined and don't have enough money to not only buy the boat but to replace allot of components!

WOW the more I type the more frustrated I get thinking about this whole boat trip I have been on I really wish I could sell this LEMON so I could buy a new TV-18 LOL I now know what to look for and I am able to fix it all. FYI the manual I will return and I do want one for my motor because it is great.

I will be able to do ALL my own repairs and the only thing I will use the extended warranty for will be major stuff, OH by the way I don't know if anyone has been told that you MUST have your water pump impeller changed by a factory cert. tech. or you will void the warranty like I was told..... I would tell them to shove the warranty where the sun don't shine, it is very easy to do for about $15 and 30 min. compared to their $90 and 15 days.

Well I guess I should be happy now, my motor is running fine and im catching. :)

Sorry bout the tracker bashing but they deserve it from ME !!

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. What kind of motor are you having trouble with? I have the Opti 150, do I have this to look forward to?

Bryan

I have a Merc 90.

Find a good service shop if you cant do it your self, I hope you can cause I dont think I will really trust anyone with me motor or boat.

The fella's at the BPS Dallas shop have always taken really good care of me. I needed new thermostats and an impeller on my Opti in a bad way...of course I needed it done ASAP for the Media T on Saturday. They worked my boat in early, fixed my prob's AND some other minor things I didn't realize needed repair.

Stuff happens sometimes, Charlie. Live, learn and go fishing! I'm sure you've screwed up at work once or twice as well.

I'm curious as to what BPS did about your broken rod handle. Did they replace it? Did they refund your money? Bet they did one of the two and didn't ask a damn question! I have broke several very expensive Falcon Cara's over the last couple years and have to send them to OK for "professional examination" before they'll even think about exchanging.

The grass ain't always greener....

I just took a spinning rod (Tourney Special from a combo that I bought last fall) back to BPS (Charlotte) on Saturday. They brought out a new combo, took off the reel, and replaced the rod with no problems. The bottom 1 1/2 inches of the handle broke and fell off into the lake earlier this month. No receipt needed.

I look at it this way, with the amount of product that is made/sold through BPS, there are going to be some quality problems that show up now and again. My luck seems to run in bunches, both good and bad.

Tex

I am beeing told that the service manual printed in 1997 is the one for my 2001, they dont have a newer one??? Have they made no changes??

And yes they did refund my $ for the rod, seems that alot of them are breaking off at the end of the grip bout 1 1/2" like tex's and mine.

The rod man at bps stated that he has seen alot of the IM-8 rods come back broken. And they did stand there and examan the rod for a few minutes looking it over, maybe trying to make me feel like it was my fault of maybe trying to figure out why everything with BPS logo on it is crap!!! LOL had to dig !!!

So I bought a Falcon Rod.

Keep in mind I dont pay for much that I get from BPS, most of it is gift card from my BPS visa that I use for work.

It is possible they did not notice the broken mixture rod and leaned out the screw to compensate for the extra oil?

BF

Latest posts

Back