Humminbird Side imaging issues

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Lind

Reaction score
Since we are getting closer to the fishing season I have been thinking about why I don't seem to get a very good structure reading from my Humminbird 997 unit. For example I know that at times I am fishing above or near many submerged trees and it doesn't seem to show them? I seem to get good depth change readings but not much for structure. Any suggestions?

thanks

Scott

I would think it has to be a settings thing or maybe your transducer isnt installed right.

I would go over to the humminbird forum on the bbc and ask Doug or Mike, they are a wealth of knowledge on these units.

I had (see Swap and Sell) an 898 with no problems at all. I didn't jack with the settings much though. It seemed to give me wat I wanted whithout much tinkering. Totally cool devices, changed the way I fished!:cool:

Scott,

The problem could be the settings that you are using, the transducer installation, the unit itself or even the transducer. Try to eliminate some of these buy testing your unit on someone else

I'd try another unit first just to make sure your puck isn't messed up.

You know you can't be going at more than wake speed, right? Other than taking depth off auto, I change the default on scanned distance out on either side - SI Range (not sure if that is still a config setting on the newer models). Also try setting the sensitivity level in view mode to highest setting - mine is 20 I think and even go to showing just one side so you can focus on how you are tweaking it - SI Side selection. You should experiment with color to show the shadows and details you want while you are fooling around.

The last thing I would do is increase the chart speed so it collects and paints more info on the display - I know it is counter-intuitive but that's how it works at least on mine.

One other note - I got so twisted in making changes that I couldn't get it to show anything I thought was there and selected default and started again. From time-to-time, I select default and then re-enter what I think is right for the water I am fishing.

If you have split-view, stick with just the SI view for now and as you see more details, switch to split view and show down imaging or regular sonar on the other view to see how it syncs with what you are seeing on the SI view.

Not sure if that will help you but that's what I do. I have had my Humminbird units now for many many years now and enjoy them. Bill, the MadKayaker

Latest posts

Back