How's gas gonna effect you?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatrap

Reaction score
After watching the famous Teri's video clip I got to wondering how the gas prices going to effect us. Some of us live a long way from any decent water. I probably will go less and stay longer and run way less on the water with the boat. Probably need to find some ponds too. How you all gonna handle it? What about you tournament guys?

fatrap

I am going to go less often with the big boat.. JR

I know I will be pulling my boat to my cabin in Indiana less often. If gas keeps going up, I will probably sell the cabin because its too far away to be pulling boats back and forth. Just not worth it and I have no plans to move back to Indiana.

Haven't really made any changes yet.

Only drive about 5 miles to work every day.I can walk up to the corner store to get most things I need, and for everything else I usually stop on the way home from work to get.

The wife drives a little 4 cylinder van and only drives about 2 miles to work, and most of our family lives within a few miles,so there isn't alot of running around to visit.

My biggest use of gas is my fishing on the weekends. But I don't mind paying to fill up the boat to go fishing.;) You got to pay to play I guess.

I am also about 3 miles away from where I work so I only take the gas hit on the weekends.

After watching the famous Teri's video clip I got to wondering how the gas prices going to effect us.

I'll probably eat less. :lol:

It won't change the way I fish much I live only 25 miles from Lake of the Ozarks. I normally fish alon but now I will start taking along buddys to help in the paying for gas.:lol:

I've already started fishing closer to home. I have a pretty decent 1800 acre lake right in my own city limits. It's not my favorite lake but there are some decent bass in there and some tree infested coves where you can get away from the a-holes in their Ski Natique's and their umpa-thumpa music. Also they have a special place for the lake lice. And, I have some pretty decent lakes within only 40 or 50 miles for when I really feel like splurging.

Fortunately, I have a 6 cyl in my Jeep and my little 50 horse on my boat doesn't suck much fossil fuel.

Harpo

I am looking at two options right now, job closer to home (32 miles each way) or a motorcycle. The only other major change is I was going to sell my boat and get a bigger one for next year, think I will keep what I got and no traveling next year (well no farther than Lake Anna anyway)

BF

Six miles to work door to door and I can do that with my V-twin bike with the warmer weather. As for boat action, I'm with Harpo. There are few times I'm glad I didn't go all the way up to a 75hp on my PT175 - this is one of them. My little 40hp does the job and sips out of the 22 gallon tank. Whew!

I will give up one dinner out every week, drink Dunkin' Donuts coffee instead of the fancy stuff - maybe even bring my own to work, ride my motorcycle to work and park for free versus paying in the garage and finally, cut down on pepsi and drink free water more often.

All of this versus giving up what I enjoy doing on weekends! I'm not looking to see how I can cut down on gas consumption because that just isn't going to work - for me, it is more realistic to cut down on other conspicuous consumption and vices because at the end of the day, you need to prioritize.

My two cents - Bill, the Mad Kayaker

Well most of you know I work from home, so from a work perspective it realy doesn't effect me. From the Nitro, i honestly can't see a change even at $3 a gallon. I don't fish tourney's so if its $10, $15 or $20 for a Sat am fishing trip, its worth it to me for my sanity.

Sure like Jim and Harpo would I be $$ happier if i'd have kept my PC 175 with the 40 merc, yes and now. I didn't buy the Nitro with the 115 merc because I could barely afford the $2/gallon gas, the boats have always been "toys" and with it come planning on how to afford and pay for the capital and on-going expenses.

Sure i'd like a 70mpg V-6 tow vehicle, but its not here and I like to run 50mph + and fish, life goes on. I'm planning a trip to KY this summer (more to come) and $4/gallon won't stop me, its all about priorities and planning, Fishing keeps me sane!! or was that fishing keeps me insane?? LOL

I doubt its going to change the amount or where i fish one bit. Like Bill i have cut back on other things to make up the difference, i actually did a lot of it last summer and stuck with it so its no big deal now. Little things like bringing lunch to work instead of buying there, saving up errands so i only have to make one trip, etc more then make up for the extra cost of gas.

The other bonus this year is my new truck gets so much better milage then the old one did, its like 4mpg difference and i already see it every week that im using less gas when my driving has stayed the same. I always use more in the truck then i do in the boat so that extra mpg will help a bunch.

Filled the boat when it was 2.07 gal.,still have a full tank,only fished 2 lakes so far and they were 5mph no wake lakes.Have a tourney this saturday,2 hrs each way and it is a no limit lake,so will burn a little fuel in the boat,but not much,I'll be fishing and not running much.Scratched half of the tourneys I had planned for this year,sticking with the circuit closer to home,bummed too because it pays more to the top five.Need to win one or two times and then I won't need to worry about the gas costs:p

I am leaving my current position in California and transferring to a job that pays twice as much in Illinois. Plus my commute in Calif is 25 miles one way ; my new commute in Illinois is 2.85 miles one way. California lakes charge an arm & leg to get in. Illinois, no where near that, plus more species to fish for and no set hours on the lakes. Things only get better as you leave California.

I drive 120 miles a day round trip. So that hurts. I tried living in the city once but there are too many people there for me. My choice. The lakes here in SW Iowa are going through a renovation after the yellow bass plague. We are going to sell the F-150 the camper and the Nitro fish N Ski. Pulling the 8000 lb camper to a lake with no fish in it and staring at it all weekend doesn't seem like any fun. Why pay all that gas money NOT to fish. We are going to get a pop-up camper for the camping we will do, it won't cost so much to pull behind the explorer. We have a 16 foot Jon type boat from BPS that we can put on the ponds around here for fishing until the lakes come back in 4 to 5 years. Hell the ponds in Iowa are the best fishing anyway. Maybe when the lakes are back the country will have a clue on what to do about energy and we can get a new boat then. The samller boat and camper will be better for us until the lakes are back so why spend the extra money on gas. $3.00 dollars a gallon for gas and 50 gallons a week in the f-150 add up to some serious coin. Driving a new little Focus in it's place for now to and from work.

I'm saving about 5 mpg with the Tacoma over the Tundra, so that will help.

Unfortunately most of my tournament fishing is 3 - 4 hours drive north, so I think I'll be using the canoe more often. The Opti doesn't use hardly any gas, so there is no problem there ;)

Keep the RPM's down and pound pound pound the areas that do produce:cool:

I once again opted out of one of our travel tourneys (planned for this weekend). It would have been:

3 tanks of gas for the SUV.

2 tanks for the boat (likely).

That plus 2 days of motel + food and misc. expenses, add's up quite a bit. I'd love to go, but . . . .

Tex

I live 18 miles round trip from work and wouldn't you know it, my S 10 Blazer gets around 18 miles to the gallon in town. My wife is about 17 miles round trip from her office, thankfully her Mazda 6 gets around 25 city. That is as long as she stays under 80, she has a lead foot.

I have noticed that we are planning our trips to the store now, trying to do everything in one trip vs. several trips in and out. Heck, Sunday after church we went to the nursing home to see my dad. On the way back we stopped at a co workers for an easter egg hunt. My wife brought alond her grocery list so that we could stop at the store on the way home.

As far as fishing goes, I'm not going three days a week any more. I never thought that I would say that! Thankfully the new Yamaha 70 only sips fuel. When I fish in the lake, I go to Melton Hill Lake which is only about 10 minutes from my house. The long trips are pretty much out. Another observation is now that I have started fishing in the rivers more, I seem to run the trolling motor more and the gas motor a lot less.

Other than fishing, my other "hobby" is filling up the Blazer and going "riding", just hitting some country road and seeing what's around the next curve. I don't do that much any more:angry:. If fuel goes over $3.00 per and holds, there may have to be more adjustments.

Ed

Have you checked out Lake Anita and seen if it has filled up any? Those pics in your library from 3 mile before it filled?

fatrap

Right now I drive 110 miles a day round trip to work and I get 15mpg but I am in the process of shopping for a new truck and I have no intention of changing my driving habits, fuel consumption or getting anything less then a Hemi we might consider going to a diesel but it's for the power to tow long distance not fuel economy.

We have gotten spoiled on low gas prices and have no control over the increase in fuel which is and will continue to result in higher prices for everything we consume. My observation is that some folks are finding themselves in over their head during the good times and are struggling with inflation that is creeping up faster then predicted.

Cass :D

I drive 2 miles round trip to work, wife drives 15 miles round trip, but she is moving back to her corporate office (& a promotion) middle of next week. Then her trip will be 50 miles round trip. She will then start driving my Grand Am & I'll get "her" Yukon. That's about the only change we'll make. We can't control the economy & I'll be darn if I'll change my lifestyle due to the oil barons. I have a 4 day fishing trip planned with my fishing buddy to central WI (Lake Winnebago, Lake Winneconne, Lake Poygan, Wolf River) for walleye at the end of May & I'm still going, but am glad the boat is sitting with 30 gallons of gas from last year's pump prices. I bought the Targa last year to use & relax in, & still plan on doing that as often as possible, but am glad the 115 Opti is a easy on fuel.

Maj

BTW.. gas hit $3.09 here today in Milwaukee, up another .10 over night.

Twenty-five miles one way to work:

Fifteen Miles to my camp on Black Lake and the nearest boat launch.

The wife now drives the truck 1 mile to work and back and I drive the Saturn. (35 mpg)

I'm scheduled for a very busy tournament season with a tournament every weekend starting the second week of June. I never prefish so that saves me money. I don't run and gun. I go to an area and fish it hard all day on trolling motor. Most gas I burned at any one tournament last year was 20 gallons. I suspect I'll keep it less this year. Farthest tournament away, Lake Champlain at Rouses Point. (2.45 Hr. Drive):):(

Fun fishing I'll use the row boat or the kayak. Row boat I licensed this year and have a trolling motor for it.:rolleyes:

Well It Hit 3.00 a gallon today here>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I'M not changing one ..D^MN THINK IN MY LIVE !! TO H[LL WITH SICK PUCK ARABS,DISGUSTING FAT UGLY OIL EXEC'S AND THEIR 400 MILLION BONUSES.

THERE THE ONES WHO NEED TO CHANGE ! NOT US.

Besides I had already planned on moving back to Georgia , probably close ,no real close to Trep hang out at his house drinkin his world renowned brewski's nagging to go fishin in his boat . ALthough I 'm a novice bass fisherman at best,,,( No , No you guys don't try to argue with me on that ........ok,ok, maybe a little better than novice.)

Maybe I can" share "some of my world reknowned methods for catching bass.

Just like now for instance he's away traveling I could be using his NITRO & tow vehicle .

That works for me !

Mark:D:D

The only way prices are going to drop is for the consumers to use less. I am not saying to boycott any station or not buy on a particular day, but just use less. Drive slower on the highway, carpool occassionally, take public transportation once in a while and combine trips.

If everyone used less, supply would go up and prices would go down. Pretty soon we are all going to have to toss our outboards in the lake, because rowing our boats around with all that extra weight will be too hard!:D

Rich D

Fatrap I looked at Anita 2 weeks ago and the rockpiles they put in are still exposed. They are talking about putting in an emergency ramp. Right now the water isn't anywhere near the bottom of the ramps. The pictures in my library are of Twelve mile not Three mile. I will get those when they get around to draining it down and killing it off.

Mike,

That is the same section that grants him the authority to pardon turkeys on Thanksgiving, isn't it?:rolleyes:

Imagine how much extra gas there would be if everyone cut their weekly use by just one or two gallons.

While I understand the sentiment of "Screw em, I am not changing my lifestyle" I don't think it really goes to solving the problem.

Rich D

I'm not planning any changes....

I work to fish...

Most of my fishing areas are close...within 20 miles...one one my favorites is only 2.5 miles from my driveway!

While the 90hp won't push me faster that 40mph, it doesn't eat that much gas...most of our lakes are small anyway...I'm usually at WOT for just a few minutes!

az

Well, I'm not going to cut my yard as much as I used to (saves gas!), and if my neighbors don't like it they don't have to look at it. I already sack lunch it at work, my wife quit smoking a couple of weeks ago (now I need to), and all the kids are finally out of the house (which saves on utility bills). I still have 1/2 a tank of gas in the PT175 from last season, and the 50 sips fuel, so I should be good-to-go...just not as often. :rolleyes: Gas hit $2.83 here yesterday, but it probably rose a few more cents while at work today. Thanks goodness we only work 6 miles away.

I travel about 30 round trip to work but use a civic that gets 43mpg so its not too bad and my PT175 with 50hp isn't too bad on fuel but the big plus is I only have to pull it (97 F-150 v-8) about 3 miles to the launch. My run to fishing areas about 3-5 miles one way. All in all, I am NOT happy with gas prices but if need be, I will cut back in other areas. If only our salaries would go up with the increase in fuel.....yea, sure, that's going to happen....

Are we forgetting the fact that pretty much everything gets moved by truck. That cost gets put on the product transported. The merchant isn't going to absorb that cost, the consumer is. So all in all everything goes up not just gas. You cannot just think of it at the pump. Your groceries are going up as well as durable goods. It's a little farther reaching than appears on the surface. I know we have been spoiled but it does not change the fact that prices will go up all around.

My wife and I work in the same building and could save some fuel going to work together, but, I get here 1 1/2 hrs before her, and she leaves 30 minutes before I do. I'm not dumb enough to get her up early enough to get here at 0600 :wacko:

On my way home today, Gas at $3.12 to $3.20 a gallon. Lowest place this morning was $2.98. I still need another 25 gallons to top the boat off. Waaaaaaah:(

I haven't fished hardly at all for about a year and a half and now it seems that when I can, it will be too costly for me. Nearly everywhere I fish is at least a tank of gas away.

I think I'm just going to bum rear seats from people here so I can just split the cost with them.

Uncle Billy

Mark - Call my wife, the Nitro is gassed up, charged up, clean and ready, just remember to bring her back!!! LOL

Oh and bring her back full of gas! The boat that is!!

Look on the bright side, fellas: The way most jetskis suck down gas, there will be less of them on the water this year.

No problemo amigo Trep,

Aaa can you just leave your gas card in the glove box...

LOL though at the other.:lol::lol:

Mark

Mark - I had to go back and edit it, I re-read it after I posted it and saw the "just remember to bring her back" and KNEW where you'd go with that one!!! LOL

""how's gas gonna effect you""

A title like that,,and not one fart joke.....

I'm a little disappointed in you all....;)

sleep in truck,,not hotel,,,,,less beer,,,more water,,,,fish closer to home,,,,,,,more bolonga sandwiches,,,,,fewer or no restruants on way back from fishing,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Look on the bright side, fellas: The way most jetskis suck down gas, there will be less of them on the water this year.

OR another way to look at it.....

The cost of bombing the little S.O.B's with Molotov Cocktails just went up.;):D

Just kidding.....really, don't call the FBI

Harpo

Trep ,

I thought that might be the case.After all we love are wifes and would never disrespect them . I'm sure you feel the same way.

Mark:)

""how's gas gonna effect you""

A title like that,,and not one fart joke.....

I'm a little disappointed in you all....

I noticed Toxic has not posted on this thread........

Back