How to use an on-board charger

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barry Loos

Reaction score
I have a Guest 2608 on-board battery charger that came with my boat. I put a GFCI circuit next to the boat so I could easily plug the charger in. I asked the Tracker dealer how to use the charger because the booklet was not real clear. The dealer said plug it in when you're not fishing and unplug it before you go fishing. That seems like a lot of charging but I guess I am thinking of typical battery chargers and "over cooking" a battery instead of the new technology of variable charging. My question is, "how do you folks use the on-board chargers?"

Bear

I do the same thing Dave does,....plug it in until all 3 banks are on "green", then I unplug it. If the boat sits for a week or so, I plug it in again the night before i go fishing to refresh the charge, and then just unplug it before i leave in the morning....repeat the process as req'd.

Mac

The on board chargers made to be plugged in all the time. They monitor the battery and adjust the charge output accordingly keeping the battery charged all the time. There's really no need to unplug them, except when you pull out to go fishing. Been there and done that!!! I guess it's a really strange site to see a boat and trailer going down the road with 25 feet of extension cord tagging along behind it. If you have the type of batteries that need water maintenance just keep the water level checked otherwise just plug in when you get home and unplug when you take off again and never worry about a run down battery.

The Guest charger is a good one. I have two. Sue D from Guest monitors the board and answers any questions you might have. A really good company that stands behind their product.

Sounds like I'll plug it in and fo-ged-abod-it.

Sam - In case I forget to unplug it I'm only going to use a 4' extension cord instead of the 25'. 4' won't be so obvious draggin behind the boat.

Thanks guys for the insight and thanks Sue for keeping an eye on us.

Bear

Bear, I just added a 2608 to my Tracker a few weeks ago and so far so good! Do you have the manual for the charger??? If you need one I can scan and send it or fax you a copy! MIke L.

Mine stays plugged in 99% of the time. Guest makes great stuff and has excellent service.

Hi, Sue D. :)

Mike:

I appreciate the offer to send me a copy but I have the manual that came with the charger. It makes more sense to me now that I have read everyone's post. I just didn't want to assume anything.

Thanks,

Bear

Back