How to control boat - and not aggrevate the non-boater

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas Transplant

Reaction score
This question is specifically about fishing local club tournaments, and not the money or bigger ones.

Here's the situation. I joined a club this year, after not fishing very actively for quite some time. Also, I'm new to this area of the country (SC). Most of the anglers in the club have been fishing in and around our 'region' for many, many years.

When I'm the non-boater (about 20% of the time), I sit in the back and pretty much follow the lead of the 'boater'. If he asks for suggestions, I have several ready, based upon my research. Sometimes, I have drawn someone that just really doesn't want any input, even after they ask for it. In reality, what they really want is to see if you have a particular honey hole that you will let them in on.

No the real problem, is when I'm the boater, and fishing with someone that has fished the area lakes for 10-15-20 years. I'm finding that they rely strictly on what they know and what they can remember. This past Saturday was a good example.

I have fished with 'Jack' once this year, and also roomed with him on another 2 day tournament. We have a pretty good relationship, though I wouldn't consider us to be 'good friends' as yet. I drew him for this weekend.

We got together on the phone (he lives about 2 hours away), and briefly discussed strategy. I told him that I'd done some research, and certainly had an area or two that I wanted to try. He indicated that he had fished this lake many times, and had a number of really good places for us to fish.

When we set out, we started with his area, with the express discussion that we would move to one of my area's later in the morning, or if this creek didn't pan out. Once there, he pretty much 'directed' our efforts. I am certainly at fault for not 'taking control', but am still trying to figure this all out.

I never attempt to 'boat' anyone that is fishing with me. I try and be fair all the time. Yes, I get to the spot sooner, but that is just the reality of it. Anyway, after not being productive (other than his two small keepers), I suggested that we try some other areas. We finally moved, but only had several hours left to go.

Once to my areas, that I had marked by studying the map (and looking at trends posted on different boards), we both caught fish. Including the 'big bass' of the tourney for him. Even when there, he still attempted to be in control of the boat.

One idea that I have thought about, is to just tell the non-boater that he will have control a percentage of the time. Whether that is 50% of the time, or maybe 60/40. Possibly even 2 hours per angler, rotating through the fishing day. You know, something like 7-9AM - me, 9-11AM him, etc.

What I'm looking for here, is either some suggestions, and/or how others deal with this. I want to stay in the club, and also don't want to be seen as a control freak. But then on the other hand, I have to change something about how I'm going about my fishing.

If I can understand better what guidelines I should set, then I will also know better what guidelines I should expect when I'm a non-boater.

This was long, but there is enough experience here to help out a fellow angler.

Tex

Tex,

You are on the money with the idea of 50/50. You get half the day for your water and they get half for theirs. While you're on your water, YOU call the shots and likewise for them on their water. If they don't like that, then the problem is theirs to deal with. It's fair and that's that. Any sensible angler whose pattern didn't work out, does not look a gift horse in the mouth when his draw partner puts him on fish. It sounds like some of these guys may view you as a bit of push over and are trying to take advantage of it. Draw your line in the sand before it gets worse. When folks are in my boat I try to make it clear that it IS MY boat. With clients it's different. When you fish with guys like Bob G, it's never a problem. Even in HIS boat, he made me run the TM, the frontboater! LOL Fishing with folks here is a treat when you're used to clients that don't respect your gear. In tourneys remember, you paid your entry fee just like he did. I have been caught on the opposite end. Drew a guy that HAD to use his boat. But then proceeded to "try" to back boat me. After I whipped a couple of 3/4 oz spinnerbaits by his head he said, "Hey, why don't you come up here and fish from the front too?" LOL There are ways to get your point across. Good luck.

Maybe because I don't fish tournaments, I don't understand:

Rob, instead of throwing a bait past someone's head, why not just say, "Hey, I'm having a tough time getting casts based on the boat's position. Can you turn us a bit more?"

Under all but the toughest conditions, isn't it best if anyone in the boat starts landing fish, so that between the two of you, you can figure out the pattern?

Maybe tournament anglers could learn a lot from studying how individuals working together can usually produce better results than individuals working at odds.

Yeah, I had some of them lures going by me this weekend. Not close, but definitely took water away from me. I'd just stand there and wait until his bait came back past the bow, then drop a slow worm out in front. He finally got the idea after awhile.

I'm thinking that your suggestion is probably the best to do.

Tex

Sorry, I didn't explain myself better. I had dropped some obvious hints that he simply chose to ignore. Hence, he was intentionally back boating me and let me know it. I had a good stake in the tourney too, and not enough time nor patience for such behavior. I could have had him DQ'd but opted to let him have one more chance to be more sportsman like. He took the "offer".

Tex, there have been times I've had to openly confront people and let them know that if they didn't observe tournament rules, that I had every intention of having them DQ'd at the dock. They usually back off quickly. Once the word gets out in the club that you don't tolerate people who don't play nice, they will be much more likely to fish like partners rather than advesaries.

In a two man tournament, whether individual or team effort, I try, first, to come to a consensus on strategy; failing that, I suggest a 50/50 "deal" on places to fish and how; when that doesn't fly; I flip a coin and we take one hour stints, until we are on fish, then we stay till "no fish" and we agree to move or, if no agreement; then the "hour" thing is in effect...; if that doesn't work I just revert to the rules, if they don't cover it we go with "my boat...my way and I'll ask for your suggestions"...then I folow up on some of the suggestions and file a "complaint" with the tournament officials.

Greg,

Good suggestions. I like the strategy of 50/50, with a backup of the coin flip and hour-by-hour until onto something.

Your message does point out one major item that I need to do, see what our local club tourney rules are. I'm not sure that I have a copy or know what they actually are.

Thanks.

I have nothing against you guys who fish tournaments...but that's exactly why I don't. When you take an enjoyable and relaxing experience and turn it competitive, well sometimes the tetosterone levels increase. The guy in the back of the boat is probably a good guy who otherwise gets all caught up in competition and loses his good sense. And, after having fished in some tournaments from the back of a boat, I can attest that the same attitude sometimes comes from the front of the boat. Again, this isn't a slight to those who fish competitively, but rather affirmation that I don't find it an enjoyable experience.

I second that Bob, just another reason I'm not into tourneys. For those who do it for a profession (that's why they are ALONE in their boats except for an official or an amature partner who has no say in anything) and make their living by fishing, more power to ya!! That's why tourneys have rules and Officials. Can't compare recreation and profession. When you do, you are just begging for trouble.

TOXIC

Bob and Toxic,

Understood. This is not a testostermone thing, as much as learning how to be a good neighbor while fishing. After all, since ours is a team thing, if only one does good, it doesn't help much.

But I can certainly understand how too many trips down this road, can 'color' the entire experience.

Tex

I don't fish tourneys cause I have to eat!! I can get skunked in the back of the boat as well as the front! Guys like Rob always leave some water anyways. I can usually get two or three casts in new water during the course of the day!! Just kidding Rob!!

Bob G.

Guys I've never tournament fished, but when I take people out in my boat I consider it my job to put us all on fish. When approaching the stump or rock pile, etc , I like to give the guy in the middle or back every other time or so a shot at the first cast towards it. Sharing the spots just seems like common sense to me so everyone has a good time. In a tournament is it everyman for himself for prizes, or does the 'boat' win the tournament?

Toxic is right about profession vs recreation. There are basically 3 different "Rob's" when it comes to fishing. The guide who wants to put everyone on fish and is constantly babysitting greenhorns. This tends to run over into rec Rob, when I'm with friends that may know how to fish. Sorry if I state the obvious, but you have to understand most weekends I have to teach people that don't know the obvious. When a guy picks up his spinning rod with the reel facing upwards, I know right off what I'm in for that day! LOL, And then there's tourney Rob, get out of my way, don't you dare cast to my raised fish, I'm winning this thing Rob. I am always cordial and professional to my amatures but they learn to stay out of the way when I'm casting or landing fish. And when I say it's time to go, that means within one more cast. Not 10 minutes. Any pro will go nuts waiting for slow co-anglers to get ready. Just my take on it. You have to learn to seperate, much like home and work.

Latest posts

Back