How often am I supposed to do maintenance on our boat?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Betty Smith

Reaction score
:huh:

How frequently do we need to do routine maintenance on the boat?

Here's my spring checklist of things I do. Beyond this, I go to a certified Merc mechanic. That's if I notice something amiss I can't deal with or think I shouldn't.

Outboard Spring Maintenance List

1. Check/replace fuel filter inline under cowling

2. Pull and check spark plugs (note: hand tight +

Good checklist! The only item I would recommend "modifying" would be to do the lower end lube PRIOR to the advent of storage. Once done, there is no need to do it again in the Spring. A couple of reasons for this...

1. You don't want to let your gears, shafts and bearings sit in perhaps contaminated lube. If there is any water present, rust could build up on crucial components, shortening the life of the 'case. If there is any water, it will separate.

2. Water again...if you are subject to freezing temps, any water can / could freeze causing major damage.

THE most important items are the fuel system and the cooling system. EVERY year.....;)

In the fall before storage you should also drain the hoses to your speedo and water pressure gauge. Also re grease your trailer bearings.

TOXIC

what do you recommend useing to lube the tilt and trim and steering linkage? Also the lower end lube? I am a new boat owner and a friend of mine was telling me to never grease the steering linkage and to only use wd 40 is this true?

Matt C

Not sure what you mean by the tilt and trim, but the exposed steering rod should be coated with "special lube 101 or 2-4-c multi-lube". WD-40 is a good cleaner, water dispersant, but it is not suitable here.

G'case lube, Merc premium blend or hi-performance. ;)

Thanks Bob B., I'll start changing the lower gear oil in the Fall before her 'winter nap'. She sleeps in an unheated garage attached to the house. I do give the engine a couple turns (not start), every few weeks too.

AWESOME info., guys! Johnny and I have pretty much checked off most of this list. He wants me to ask:

At how many hours do you Change the oil, air filter, oil filter, etc. or is this all done once a year?

Since the boat we've purchased is used, with a sketchy maintenance history, we're just giving it a detailed once-over.

Also trying to determine the difference between the high performance gear grease in the tube and the high-performance in the jugs. I would think the difference is that with the pints, one could just pour it in from the top, you wouldn't have to be as concerned about air bubbles? I dunno.. I'm definitely not the family mechanic, but I'm learning!:wub:

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!! You'll like this~ Thanks so much for the great info. on your list. Johnny was out checking off a few more items when he noticed that the wires to the trim sender unit was loose~ We thought we were going to have to replace it. You just saved us about $50~!~ How cool is that? Thanks again~!~

Betty,

I'm glad you and Johnny asked and found the help you needed. This site is full of good people and good info. Noone though can beat the info that Bob B. will give you. He spends as much time helping us as he can. And believe me that's alot. He's a God send to be sure.

One suggestion, if there is anything else you need to ask about try a search first. Most subjects are likely to have been covered more than once.

Let us know how your boat performs when you get her out.

p.s. nice catch on the wire connection.

I guess what my husband was actually looking for was the actual intervals of routine care. Like: Change the sparkplugs every X hours, change the oil every x hours, etc. I ended up ordering both a maintenance and parts manual for the boat. That should help out a lot, I hope.

Bob has answered a few questions for us already! I like the tenor of this website. Everyone tries to be very supportive and helpful, even when the questions we novice boaters post must seem very silly. Our old boat was made back in the 80's. My husband could take apart the motor and put it back together again blindfolded, but the one on the new boat is totally different, so we have a ton of questions. Thanks so much everyone for your answers and your patience.

I do searches almost everytime I'm on this site. Right now we still have a lot more questions than answers. I promise, I'm only posting a fraction of what I'd like to learn.:D Now, lets just pray that those manuals show up quickly~

Johnny is about ready to pull his hair out over the pump out switch. No manual and we aren't sure what function it's supposed to accomplish. Empty the livewell? It doesen't seem to be working, so there's another question altogether. ;)

Anyone know where we can find a new/used air pump for a 2005 Mercury Optimax EFI outboard online? It's never given us a minutes problem, but pooped out last Saturday when we were out several miles from the landing. Thankfully, we were able to get it cranked and running, but only at 10 mph back to the landing. Took it to the dealer today and had the diagnostic run. Was hoping against hope it was something not terribly expensive, but, you guessed it,...$1100 to have it fixed. Johnny can do a lot of the work himself, but first, I have to find the part. Any help you can probide will be very much appreciated!

Thanks,

Betty

PS: At the least the fishing hasn't been the greatest this year, so we're not missing too much. Johnnys' not too happy cause he was doing more catching than fishing last time we were out.:(

For me:

1. Check/replace fuel filter inline under cowling (replace yearly)

2. Pull and check spark plugs (note: hand tight +

Latest posts

Back