How many unplug their trailer lights ??

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Rizza

Reaction score
I always just leave my trailer plugged in when launching/loading. Easy to see at night with the lights on. I even added some extra lights down the frame rails the light up like a "landing strip" at night for easy loading.

None of my lights are waterproof, as you can see bubbles coming out of them. 6 years, and I have only changed 1 bulb. Never understood the reasoning behind unplugging the lights, they will still get water inside.

Just wondering how many swear by unplugging their lights before they dunk them.?

Steve
4631.gif

Old habits die hard. When I first started boating it was standard procedure and I still do it....because, well just because.

I never do...never saw the point. The bulbs are inside a sealed unit within the tail light assembly. Anyway, doesn't it have to be plugged in to disengage the trailer brakes?

Always unplug them read somewhere it was the thing to do. Must work never had problem whth trailer lights on any trailer.:D

I always did it (when I remembered) because in my time it was the thing to do. I was told you have a super hot bulb coming in contact with cool or even cold water and a bulb blowout was bound to happen. The new sealed units were supposed to stop all of that but I've had them blow anyway.

Uncle Billy

I use to unplug them and I would still find shattered bulbs once in a while. I just took it as Nitro trailers use crappy light assemblies. I switched to flush mount oval LED's and now never unplug them untill it goes in the garage.

Depends on the lights themselves.

My old 94, you HAD to unplug or you was replacing them..PERIOD.

My 02, I haven't replaced one yet. Sometimes I leave them plugged when it's dark and when I forget to unplug:wacko:

I always unplug mine when launching. Plug 'em back in before leaving after boat is loaded. Where I launch is shallow (having to back the trailer in fairly far to float the boat) so the plug end always gets wet, and I have to tap the water out of the plug before plugging it back in.

Never unplugged them in my ol Champ, never had any issues, in the year and a half with the new boat, haven't unplugged them once, no issues

Never unplugged, don't remember, guess I don't care. I fish alone most of

the time, I'm lucky to get it in with the plug.

I'm guilty of unplugging my lights, and I have LED's on my trailer. :wacko:

I had to do it on my trailer in the 70's and I guess old habits are hard to break!

I had to with the old sealed lights on the new tracker and the few times I forgot they almost assuredly blew. Now I have replaced with LED's and no problems and do not unplug any more. Work great and love how bright they are!

Randy!

I replaced mine a number of times and found if I unplug before launching, the bulb has a chance to cool a few minutes before the cool water hits them. Haven't had to change a bulb assemble since.

RoyC

PS: When mine goes, I plan to replace with the LED system.

I leave em' hooked up. If they can't take being in the water, they shouldn't be on a boat trailer!! 7 yrs on mine and I had to replace 1......and that was due to a tree that jumped out and bit my trailer.

TOXIC

Latest posts

Back