Hot Side Report

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Hammer TOXIC

Reaction score
Just to keep all of you "chompin at the bit", I ventured out to the hot side yesterday. Windy (what's new...:angry: but the good news is the water has cooled to the mid 70's:lol::lol::lol:. Went into topwater cove and caught them on a Sammy, popper and buzzbait(black buzzer actually). Actually had one slam my Sammy then jump and hook his tail as well.....It was then like reelin in a wheelbarrow tire!! Water still too warm at dike 1, caught a couple there but nothing of any real size. Dike 2 had some good fish on it and I managed a 3.5 pounder and 4 or 5 big 2's. Dropshot worked at the end of canal 2. Man, I hate that it gets dark at 0500!! Lake was busy, I saw 1 other boat!! He crowded me pretty bad!!:lol::lol: Pretty good day all around and will only be getting better as the water cools off some more. Beautiful to see the leaves above that signature hot-side fog.

TOXIC

Great report - thanks Tox! Looking forward to our gathering. In the meantime, I'll be down this weekend. How are the water levels? Have the recent rains helped to raise levels?

Jim - Water is up a little, but not much. I am going to go out on Friday morning with CIII and Mike for a half day if you can join us.

Bill - I'll be there probably starting tomorrow afternoon depending on traffic. Would love to join you guys Friday morning. What time are you all starting? Meet at your docks?

Told C that if he wasn't at the house by 0630 I would see him at the docks. I will meet you there.

toxic,

did you venture up elk creek? guess they arent schooling yet. how was the topwater bite, real aggressive or just so so. i am contemplating search out a new spot for us as a back up on the day of the gathering. I have one other spot im sure we can get them on top, but i want to find the mother load.

mike c

Mike,

No, I stayed main lake, I had 2 other people in the boat and just wanted some numbers. Ran from the wind because they were not too hard core. I'll be out there again tomorrow, anyplace you want me to check?;):lol: Topwater was a little weak, they were holding about 1/2 way back in the cove. I'm gonna pitch a jerkbait tomorrow and I hate jerkbaits but that is what I think they want. My arm was trashed after throwing that Sammy all morning!!

TOXIC

if you feel like going up elk creek, go to the cut that has pads in it in the summer, throw topwater around the mouth of the cut but not inside it, and the opening to the large cove to the left of the cut, and around the last dock before the cove on the left.

mike c

p.s. good luck to day on the hot side guys, im off to the rapp, hope to post some pictures later of some big uns.

Thanks to Bill, I got out on Tuesday. Lots of quantity, but not much quality. Had a couple in the 2 lb. range. Saw to other boats and the weather was great. I like to fish shallow and there is not alot in the water to fish, so I had to bring out some of the sissy stuff:D, but had alot of fun.

Steve

Jerkbaits huh!!!! :D:D:D Looking forward to that, I know a spot to fill the boat with a jerkbait.

UPDATE:

Had a good day, fish were hitting the Sammy at different spots. Ran up Elk to the graveyard and got 2 nice ones!! One off the submerged fence and one out from behind the old dam. Tried out the green/white Senko laminate (never been on my favorites list) and I was very impressed how well the greenfish liked it. Sorry I can't make Friday, I've got a trip on the cold side Saturday.

TOXIC

toxic,

i tried to convince you last year that they loved that color, its baby bass and a favorite on the hot side.and thanks for the update, did you hit them at the end of the creek past the graveyard? or in topwater cove?

mike c

Actually it is laminate color 901 to be specific. I have some Baby Bass and some of the other Green Pumpkin combos, those are my go to's when the 297 color doesn't get them. Didn't go past the old dam. There were small fish off the bridges but not like normal, I think they are on the move. I'm followin you on the 1st for the topwater bite.:lol:

TOXIC

thats cool, the more the merry at top water cove and then on to elk creek or maybe a little searching, since i almost never go past the big dock on the island. Im going out saturday for a little small mouth action if i can swing it.

mike c

Latest posts

Back