Holy RAW thumbs batman!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob LaMoy

Reaction score
WOW, what a weekend. What a way to start the season. Jim (bassinfool) arrived at 7:30am on Saturday. He didn't miss much except me cussing myself out for not having unlocked my rod lockers the night before. We got rain on Friday and 30 degrees that night into Saturday morning....yup, frozen locks. Didn't know if I would be able to fish without POLES! LOL Anyhow, we drowned plugs for 4 hours for walleye and only got 2 bites, one each. Never caught any. Best we saw was this one ole boy and his wife who always do well, and they had 4 on Saturday and only 2 yesterday. So.....we decided to do what we do best. I have finally found another jig finatic that can go flip for flip with me. Well we nailed about 70-80 on Saturday and I would bet each of us on our best 5 fish limit would have had 20 lbs. Yesterday started out strong for me, a solid 5 fish limit of 2-3 lbs smallies and poor Jim only 1. He is now a FIRM believer in the almightly zoom fat albert grub with bang! LOL Anyhow, he came back, in a big way. We were side by side, tin & glass, black jig and watermelon jig and I was taking a good lead on Jim. I think I was at 10 fish and he at 4 and THEN he decided to kick on the afterburners. Let's just say....4 lber, 5 lber, 8 lber (YEAH EIGHT), another 4 lber....etc, etc. I had a good day as well, but for some reason, Jim found the lunkers. I probably had another 20 lb limit of 4 lbers, but Jim must have had about a 25 or 26 lb limit with his 5 best. Course that 8 lber HELPED just a tad. LOL Anyhow, I did show him my favorite smallie flats and how fun it was to grub them on light line. I think he's hooked! LOL He and Greg definately have a few spots to hit when they come up for their tourney next month, hope they win it. Anyhow, hope y'all, had as good a weekend. We were tired and sore last night. Raw thumbs and sore arms. Man that feels good after a long, hard, cold winter!

Wow

Wish I had fishin like that here. I've never had fishing like that period! Sounds like a good day.

All I managed was some crappies which one of my birddogs ate half the fillets out of the bowl in the sink.

fatrap

In VT it is for catch and release. As for in NY, we WERE walleye fishing. Just couldn't keep those pesky bass off our lines. Everyone was catching them as they trolled for walleye. All bass were immediately released. How about that 6 lber? Is it open in MI yet?

Now for the rest of the story:

What Rob didn't tell is he was gracious enough to let me catch the 8 plus pounder out of the tree he had just been fishing. He caught all the little ones and left the bigger fish for me. actually Robs a great guy top fish with. We both took turns catching lunkers. As soon as one of us caught a fish over 5, then the other would take over leading down the shore until he caught a 5 lb fish. Sore hands isn't the word for it. I have no skin left on my left hand from all the fish I lipped. Yes Rob did show me some secret honey holes but not all his good ones. He kept a few so if we have to compete against each other he'll have a chance. Ye HA what a great weekend.

Rob,

Sounds like Champlain was pretty good to you guys! I'm gonna hunt those pesky turkeys one more weekend, then I'll be ready for some smallies!

Bob G.

Latest posts

Back