Hole Shot

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack Peck

Reaction score
2000 Merc opti dfi 225. recently having a tough time getting out of the hole. when i engage the hotfoot, engine seems to be struggling for gas. At the first few hole shots, seems to get more sluggish to get on plane with each successive hole shot. Takes anywhere from 10-20 seconds for engine to put out power to get on plane. Put motor on mercury software, no issues found. Compression tested fine. Plugs changed recently. Running all the mercury additives and startron. Never an issue prior. Mechanic suggested it could be fuel injectors...

Any other suggestions to troubleshoot before getting into tearing donw the injectors and sending out for cleaning/repair/replacement option?

thanks for any help & suggestions.

I had a 2000 929 with a 225 EFI. That rig popped out of the hole. What prop are you running? Have the fuel lines/bulb been changed? Have you checked the water separator? Motor mount measurements (inches relative to pad)? Did it just start this or has it been a problem? More info. please.

Need serial number to be sure....but....couple things to check {or have checked}.........

1. Run off a remote tank. Do this to eliminate the on-board fuel tank as a possible restriction.

2. Check air / fuel pressures

3. If not already done so, replace pulse pump and check low pressure pump

4. Replace fuel lines.

5. Replace filters.

6. TPS sweep from idle to WOT.

7. Leakdown. I know you said compression was fine, but this is crucial.

Finally, injectors. Yes, they've been problemsome......if they have not been done, it's time regardless......I would use either Brucato or European Marine...;)

Toxic- thanks for the reply. prop if fine. just a recent issue. fuel lines/bulb havent been changed. no warning light from water separator, i install a new filter every year. Will change again to eliminate the possibility.

Bob- Thanks for tips. Serial # 12254730T

Latest posts

Back