HELP!!! With Tracker Targa 2000

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cris Ratzlaff

Reaction score
I just bought a 2000 Tracker Targa 2000. Took it out tonight to play around with it and ran into a few problems.... The first was that it did not want to plane out very good, at least not in my opinion. It has a 200 hp merc and as soon as I would open it up it just sounded like it was sucking air... I tried to trim it out and it seemed very dificult to master it. I guess I was used to my other little boat (16 ft. 90hp). Once it was planed out then it seemed to work ok. But it just seemed so picky with the trim. It does have an aftermarket fin in the back (I think, or did they come with them?) Just wondering if this is normal or not. Should I try taking the fin off? Also when I was replacing the impeller I noticed that the trim tab was upside down??? Is this normal because of the aftermarket fin?? I think I also have a problem with the warning system that I'm not sure how to fix. The local boat shop told me that when I turn the key to run I should hear some beeps. Well I don't. Any thoughts on that??? And last but not least when I was waiting for my wife to back the trailer in, and it was just idling, it stopped. I had me a tough time getting it started again. I finally went to the back and gave the primer bulb a few sqeezes and then it started. What about that?? I think this boat and motor have not run for at least a couple years. Thanks for any and all help. (PS. Are there any manuals for the Tracker Targa? I have an engine manual, but I sure would like a boat manual. I have alot of other questions about how the boat works.) Thanks again :)

I had a similer problem with my Targa. Go get a new gas line connector and a new Primer bulb. That should help.

The Targa 2000 can be very picky with trim. Especially when you start adding people and gear. Leave the trim all the way down until the boat planes out and settles in. when you start trimming up make very small adjustments. Once you get the hang of it they are a great rough water boat, but the trim takes a little getting used to. With that boat, the more speed you run the easier the trimming gets and its not quite as touchy.

As far as being slow to get on plane, the Targa 2000's are not known for a fast hole shot. I have a 225 EFI with a high 5 and a sport 300 on mine and it does very well with 2 lite people and half tank of gas, start putting much weight in it and it is slow to plane.

Thanks for the input... If I may ask, what do you mean with the "high 5 and a sport 300"?

Like I said, I'm new to all of this... Thanks!!!

High five is a Mercury High Five Prop. It is a five bladed prop that seems to help with hole shots.

The sport 300 is a SE Sport 300 hydrofoil. Most outdoor retailers sell them.

Like I said, I have both of those on my Targa 2000 and with 2 people it jumps right up on plane. When I load it down with 4 people it has a pretty slow hole shot. They are a heavy boat and alot of the weight is oriented towards the back.

I may be able to help you out with the manual. I have one for mine, I am not willing to give it up. But I could make copies of it and fax or email it to you. My boat is the same model and year as yours.

Hey that would be great!!! It's just I don't have anything to go off of... Would it be a lot of trouble to email it? How many pages is it? My email address is [email protected] Again thanks for the help!

CR

Latest posts

Back