Help with tire inflation - PSI suggestions

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Hofman

Reaction score
For whatever reason, the PSI rating on my starboard side trailer tire is VERY difficult to read (the port side tire is up against my garage wall).

They are the standard "Tracker" bias-ply tires. What is the recommended PSI rating for these tires, and would you ever use a different PSI than what is recommended?

Mark

Mark -

Standard pressure for bias should be 32#. (Maybe 35?) 32# should do you just fine.

Although running a slightly lower pressure may give your boat a softer ride, it will also allow more heat to build up in the tires causing more wear.

If you want to get more cushion in the ride - switch to radials.

Check your tire pressures regularly and keep them properly inflated - it'll save you a ton of headaches!

me!

Thanks, Scott. I was thinkin' 35, but I'll go with your suggestion of 32. It seems that the bias ply tires don't run as well with the higher pressures. By the way, just a reminder that the Canoe Guide sign-up meeting is next Wednesday at 7:00 p.m. Hope you can make it.

Does anyone have any idea about how many miles I'll get out of these tires before they'll need to be replaced? I rarely drive on gravel or dirt, and don't exceed 60 when towing. I need to gather information to prepare the missuz for the cost of (radial) replacement tires.

Mark

It's been a long time since I looked at the side of a bias-ply tire..... The max for "B" ply rating bias-ply tires used to be 32#; when radials came out, they were rated for 35#. I'm not sure whether bias plys kept the same max or went up.

me!

Mark - I don't know which tires (bias ply or Radial) my 2000 Trailer has (don't know how to tell), but it does say "50 psi cold" on that side. So if it's the same tire 32-35 psi will be WAY too low.

Ken/Craig - What tires come standard on Mark's rig (2001 Tournament V 18?? Same as on my 175?

My Trailstar tires have a PSI rating of 50 lbs. It is a 2000 trailer for a ProV 16 Combo. I don't think they are radials.

Tracker says 50 psi. The TV18 comes with an F78X14, the 175 has a B78X13.

Craig

OK, let's dig into this a little deeper.......

These tires are then "C" load range rather than "B" as I had thought. I don't have any here to take a look at myself, but if you look further on the sidewall you will also find a maximum load in pounds at the 50# inflation pressure.......

Somebody take a look and find out what this weight rating is (per tire) and also the package weight of the boat and trailer.

How do the totals for the 2 tires compare with the package weight?

Based on these figures, I reserve the right to alter my suggestion! However, I think that you will find that a "B" load range tire would be sufficient for most boats...... 32# MAY be sufficient........

The tire doesn't support the weight - the air does. The tire is simply a container for the air. You only need to carry enough air to support the load.......

Now, before you all go deflating your tires....... Let me caution you that you can also cause wa-a-ay too much flexing in the sidewall if you drop down to too low an air pressure for the "container" that is surrounding it.

On the other hand, if you are carrying more air pressure in the "container" than you need to support the load, the center can bulge and cause improper wear......

It's a delicate balance.......

Tell me what you got - I'll make suggestions........ WITH all the usual disclaimers!

me!

Hey, John Foster!

You got a tire size/load range chart sittin' around? I just went over to the Goodyear site and couldn't find one.

me!

Latest posts

Back