help with mounting new trolling motor

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Warren

Reaction score
I am having to replace my MG trolling motor on my PT175 due to an unforgiving stump. I decided to upgrade and bought a MK AT55 last night and have discovered this is going to be a project! None of the holes on the new mount line up with the old holes, so have 4 nice BIG holes where the old one was. Any ideas on the best way to plug those puppies to where it will be water tight and not look too bad. Also, if anyone has mounted a MK on a Tracker, how far past the centerline should the motor be mounted? I am also going to have to go to Bass Pro this morning and get a set of mounting plugs since you can't get your arm inside underneath to use a bolt unless you are about 98# and have arms 3 feet long!

I just had my second cup of coffee and got it all figured out. I'll use the old grommets set with silicone in the old holes and mount the new one. It's amazing what caffeine can do!

You should be able to get your arm in there to mount bolts. If you take the plate off thats at the bow theres all kinds of access. im not talking about the plastic plate that hes the plus and trim switch but the whole metal plate with carpet on it. from there you can reach the bolts but you will need someone to tighten the screws. its not easy to get your arm up there but it can be done. I have done it on my buyddy daves pt185 and my buddy dougs pt 175 when they both got minnkota's. by bolting it to the deck its much stronger then those stupid jack nuts.

oh forgot to add im not a real small guy either. I go like 230 and i can get my arm in there.

tnscott I got your email.Mine had a MG 32# thrust and the wireing burned up where the fuse is at the battery.And yes you are right it is a pain in the rear to run a new wire. I had to remove the front deck,the console(just unscrew it and slide it towards center of boat, no need to undo cables or wires),un screw throttle assy,then you can take off side panels ,and seats.I didnt have to take off rear deck.just follow steering cables out the back corner then feed back through to battery. I patched up my old wire and left it in place in case I ever want to run any lights or somthing.

Ask Jamey about trying to sneak arms into change them though! LOL It took 2 grown men about what, 2 hours to put in 6 measly bolts for my Big water Gator. What a chore, and in the end, my left forearm looked like I had run it on a belt sander! LOL Ah the joys of mid winter projects! We had fun though!

Mid winter projects??? Geeze I usually do a trolling motor mount a few times a season....did three already this year....

Pull the new wire with the old wire. If you still want the old wire there (I never do), then use 3 strand home wire as a "fish tape" and once that is in place, use it to pull the new wires.

Mini

Mini, wires weren't the problem, it was actually getting my arm in there to tighten down the bolts on the SS screws I used to mount it. With the bow panel out, there wasn't enough room to get my arm in far enough to reach even with a ratchet extension, so we had to dremmel out a little more to be able to fit my arm in there. Was a little rough against that raw fiberglass!

You should see my hands....look like chooped beefsteak...lol

And I have these popeye forearms...i know what you are referring to, but i usually will get my nephew or neighborhood kid to hold a wrench for me.

Mini

I had JAMEY! LOL His forarms are a little beefier than mine! LOL We ended up using like 2 extensions and fiddling until we felt the socket bump the bolt, and had the nut elec, taped in the socket and got it started. Like I said, 5 or 6 little bolts + 2 full growed rednecks = 2 hours or cussin and work for a completed mount and 1 bleeding forearm! LOL

Been there done that. Wonder if they have a Tshirt for that one? Hey Mac, do you think MG would like that on the Classic Shirt???? LOL!!!!

Mini

Welcome brother of the raked arm! LOL With time, your wounds will heal! Need to rub much fish slime on it! LOL

Hey, while we're on it, lets talk about busted knuckles too! LOL Anybody ever do a tune up on a Honda? LOL

Sure and a radiator, alternator (have to disconnect a motor mount on the one I had), starter...

I hear your pain my son....

Mini

Back