HELP with GM product! A bit long

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob LaMoy

Reaction score
It pertains to the truck and towing. I don't want to buy a bigger rig and not be able to tow it! LOL Anyhow, I have 2 issues that I cannot seem to resolve with that stupid 4.3 GM Vortec! 1st and most annoying is my temp readout. I have a digital dash and the temp gauge has "bars". At 260 it goes into the overheat/warning area. Last year it would consistently run with only 1 empty bar seperating from OK and overheat. The one bar would occasionally fill when it was very hot, I was towing with A/C on up hill. But hey....a vehicle SHOULD be able to do that, that's why we but the damn things! Anyhow, this year I changed the thermostat, (used 195 as it is stock recommended) and a new water pump. Flushed system and put all new coolant in. Now it hops up that last bar EVERY time I tow. It doesn't matter is it's -20 or 70 degrees. It's is a hair away from overheat. I just know that when it's 90 and I have the 896 back there if I turn on the A/C I will overheat. Anyway, the GM dealership told me "they run hot". BS!!! Anyhow, I tried this $10 "towkool" last week (had nothing to lose)....didn't do squat. Any suggestions? I'm ready to leave the keys in it and get an insurance check! Then I keep getting carbon in the EGR valve. I'll be running fine for weeks maybe even a few months, then I horse on it once and it starts to sputter and fart. Again, last year I diagnosed it and if rev it to near redline and tap on the valve, usually the carbon dislodges and is exited thru the exhaust manifold like normal. WHY am I getting these chunks of carbon? I run good gas and put injector cleaner thru it every other tank! OK motorheads, gimme some news! I miss my Dodge!

I have owned a few 4.3l gm trucks. They do run hot, the dealer isnt kidding. now it shouldnt run how to the point of overheating but they do run hot. i have a question. do you have a tranny cooler on it? if not get one it will help. Putting a lower temp thermostat wont help either, a buddy of mine tried that. hows the clutch on the fan? if thats bad it will run hot also. I wonder if your gauge is reading properly, mabye the sensor might be bad? i have known those digital gauges to not be as accurate as normal gauges. i would have the sensor checked or just replace it its cheap enough. my last two 4.3's ran about 210deg when towing but never got much hotter then that. im not too sure about the carbon, i have never had that happen to me before.

or you could do what i did, get rid ofthe gm junk and get a DODGE

I've had several 4.3's Rob and have never had an overheating problem...I DID have a digital dash once and never again....didn't like them for the simple reason that I didn't trust them after I RAN OUT OF GAS with 3 light bars still lit on the gas gauge!! I called my buddy who was an Engineer working on dash boards for Delphi and he said,.."Ohhh,...it happened to you too huh??!!"...ahahaha

Then he told me that it happened to several people and they were trying to fix it,.....so I'd take Jim's advice,...put a tranny cooler on it and keep driving it....my Blazer always reads @200 deg. when I'm towing....it will run a little hotter,...but it's never come close to over heating...even in the mid summer with the A/C on!!

Mac

BTW,..I do have a new '03 Tahoe coming next month!!

Real problem seems to be on deciding on whether it is too hot, or overheated, or just a bad reading on the digital dash.

If the thermostat is easy to get to (not sure on this model - some are, others are a bear), put in a cooler one and try it. I have the standard thermostat in my Buick (3.6 v6) and it always runs 'cool'.

Of course the bottom line is that when it's summertime, it should be 'wide open' all the time, especially when towing. If it's getting that hot, sounds as if there may be other problems.

I'm guessing that you know that your radiator is 'clear' and flowing properly??

Tex

It does have a tranny cooler. I had thought maybe that was a contributing factor, the fact that the extra radiator was maybe restricting air flow to the primary radiator. I had it tested and they said that the sensor was reading a "few" degrees higher than the actual temp but this is just too close for comfort. And I looked at a Suburban this week Mac, didn't move fast enough and it sold. I could have snagged it, but I've vowed to get Buzz's 896 before I get a new truck. Also looked at an Expedition but with a smaller 4.6 it had less HP and WORSE mileage than the suburban! go figure. I want a Tahoe, you buy me one, and I'll drive it. They're expensive up here.

Tex, that's my worry. I've seen some bottom hoses literally suck the spring in and collapse and then restrict circulation, thus overheating, but everything is fine with mine, from where I stand. How can I tell if maybe the jacket isn't plugged somewhere? I'm going to go back to the dealership and grab a tech and yank him with me while we tow with the boat. Heres another tricky part to the puzzle, it only jumps that last bar when I run over 50 mph! If I'm on the highway within 15 minutes it fills that last bar, but if I pull off and let it idle or slow down, it come DOWN. You would think with the extra airflow at 50+ it would run cooler? This is my frustration, nothing adds up.

Buy a Ford/Merc station wagon and get a Tin boat - Problem solved!!! LOL

NO! Then I have a whole new set of even bigger problems! Driving a wussymobile and running around in a floating recycled diet Dr Pepper can! I'll take my chances with overheating! LOL

Get you one of those big yellow "Tonka Truck Edition" Fords like Toby Keith has and problem will be solved!

See Rob, never open to new ideas. You keep that GM hot rod, I mean overheated rod, while I CRUISE past you on the way to the lake!!! LOL

Rob - Buy a real truck! I'll help you pick one out. Bring a big checkbook!

Rick - That was good!! Had me cracking up!

Trep - I'd rather drive an overheated anything than a Merc wagon as MY daily driver/tow vehicle. Just kidding.... I'd be crying like a little girl if my truck crapped out and I didn't have wheels!!

Bob G.

Thats right Rob get a real truck. a Dodge 2500 with the HEMI would tote that 896 around just fine, heck it could tow Treps jar-jar mobile, his boat and the 896 all at the same time :)

Jim B. - Now i'll actualy agree with you on the Dodge Hemi!! that truck ROCKS!!! Beka's been EYEing it lately, her last truck (96 Dodge Ram Club Cab) was one fine ride! Just gotta get the kids out of the car-seat stage and then it will be "Honey, um, nnn, I'm going fishing with the guys in the morning. Can I PLEASE borrow the Hemi to tow my boat??" LOL. With my driving schedule (about 2-3,000 miles a year) doesn't make sense for me to have one!

Once I get the new boat, I will be on the lookout for a new TRUCK! Spied a couple of F-250's and Chevy 2500 HD's last night. Used but in the '99-'00 range. One was a extended cab with leather, loaded GMC Sierra.....sweeeeeeet!!! Also looking at Dodge, would love the new 4 door with the hemi, but too pricey for my blood.

Rob,

If you look at the full size Chevy/GMCs, some of the 99s have problems.

Bob G.

By the way Rob - I had the 2.8l in my 87 s-10 jimmy and my wife had the 4.3l in her 91 S-10 pickup. Neither ran hot BUT the heaviest thing we towed with either was my 14ft Jon boat. I did like the low end torque in the 4.3 in the S10.

try looking at a head gasket.if it is blown out it will cause it to overheat.or possibly it might be a cracked head.to check it you would need to get the test kit from a dealer which sniffs the coolant for exaust gases.sometimes the way we used to check the big diesels is get in them,rev them to the govenor,put a bottle full of water with the overflow tube in it,and rev the snot out of it till it got hot.then watch the bottle.if it had bubbles out of it,then the head or gasket was bad.

does it use coolant?the other thing is the radiator is plugged where you cant see it,and the flush kits dont work the best on.they rely on coolant flow to get the stuff out.

my opinion,leave it ina parking area,with a busted ignition switch,the window broken,a block on th4 throttle pedal,turn it on,walk away!call the cops,report it stolen.

act stoopid!you will get away with it!!

Rob,a 195 thermo sounds too hot for towing.I would try to get a 180.The 4.3 vortex it a great towing motor,you should be able to tow the new boat no problem.I had a 94 s-10 for seven years.

Rob Before you spend to much money check your basics.

Start with the fan clutch. Before starting the engine open the hood and spin the fan by hand to get an idea of how much it takes to spin. Now close the hood start your Olds and go to work or wherever. After shutting the engine off (and parking the truck) open the hood and spin the fan again..With the engine at operating temp it should require more effort to turn than when it was cold.. If that dosn't seem to be the problem let me know and we will go on to step 2.

BF

have radiator flow test done.call me if want more info your tow rig. dave gray-gm service manager,360-357-7762 ext 129

have radiator flow test done.call me if want more info your tow rig. dave gray-gm service manager,360-357-7762 ext 129

okay one word FORD lol had too sorry, never had problem with my 98 4.0 ranger, or my 4.6 4x4 F150 but with all the kidding aside, why not pull the fan and clutch and put a quality electric fan in it, u can set temp point for warm up and it will take that much more pull of the engine thus freeing up horse power and heat from the motor. or maybe see if they make a alum 3 core radiator for that model GM or both. If this doesnt help buy a Ford or a Dodge V8 problem solved but option 2 much more expensive.

I'll jump in on this one

Rob, you are going to need to match that boat with a vehicle that can pull it. Your 4.3 can pull it, but not gracefully.

Now, being a GM guy here, I spent the last three months searching for a new truck. I've driven a new Dakota with the 4.7 (back seat too small), full size Ram with the 5.9 (very nice truck, just didn't seem to have the "umph" I was looking for) and many GM trucks from 98 - 02. Sorry, didn't waste my time driving a Ford. I ended up with a 01 Silverado with the 5.3 and 4:10 gears and let me tell you it is a HUGE difference in performance and towing (from my 94). I towed the boat with it the other day and had to keep checking to see if the boat was still attached.

Ask Buzz if you can test tow the boat with your 4.3 and see how it does.

Bruce your going to pay in gas mileage for that ummmmph with the 4.11's. All the guys that I know have commented that the next time around they are going 5.78's or 5.73's, I don't remember. The difference is pretty substantial at hiway speeds and the pulling power is not sacrificed that much. The ones who benefit from the 4.11's are the construction guys who pull heavy trailers, and even some of them are going to gear up.

TOXIC

Bruce Y, I already pulled the 896 most of last season no problem. Only notice it on steep hills and only barely, that's what impressed me most about the 4.3.

Dave, Thanks, I think I will call you when I get a minute.

Bruce F, my fan runs on a serpentine belt and runs constantly. I don't believe there is a clutch involved. I will still try the test you suggested and let you know.

Magna, it does us a little coolant, but only because of a minor leak off the rear. It's an 8 hour job, but I'll get it done. That wouldn't cause the overheat though, because I keep the radiator and overflow resevoir full.

Tox, the truck is used so I didn't have much of a choice with gear selection :), I would have liked the 3:73's but I will live with the 4:10's. Gas mileage difference will be minimal, not too mention it's already better than my 94 with a 5.7.

At 75 mph I'm running approx. 2350 rpm with the 4:10's, at 75 in my 94 I was running approx. 1950 - 2000 rpm with 3:42's.

Rob - doesn't sound like you have a problem then. Towing with any car or truck will raise the temp, tanny cooler or not.

Back