Help it's the Creeping brown death

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlie Richardson

Reaction score
I was working on Ol'Spinecrusher today and when I removed the onboard charger there were brown streaks going down from around the lower engine bolt holes. I pulled the bolts and sure enough the wood in the transom was soaked! Upon inspection there had never been any sealant put on the lower bolts. Are the engines factory installed? I drilled a series of small holes into the transom from the inside and brown death seeped from about half of them. The wood inside doesn't seem to be rotted but that can't be too far in the future. What do I do now? I have heard that if you inject anti-freeze with a hypodermic needle into the holes it will kill the fungus that causes the rot. I need some ideas guys. The boat is a 96 model so warranty is not an issue here although I wish I'd found the problem earlier, cause the lack of sealant would sure have been a factory defect. Any ideas would surely be appreciated....Cmack

Charlie..... I am so disappointed to hear this..... It would seem like you can't get a break..... Makes my stomach sink.....

me

Thanks Scott, I know you feel my pain. But Oh well the transom is still strong and maybe the antifreeze will stop the rot. The hull ain't worth the cost of a transom replacement. I figger I'll do what I can and run her till the motor falls off. I sure like the looks of the new 898 bass n bay, but Tracker has scared me off forever...Cmack

Seems to me I heard about something that could be injected into the wood to strengthen it. I was used for bad transoms. Hmmmmm...Bob B, anybody know about this?

TOXIC

Sorry to hear about this hope the stuff works for ya.had the same prob with my hydrosport but didnt find out to I heard a pop moving down the lake, when I got it on trailer saw that the jackplate had pulled about1/16 of a inch away from transom. when I bought boat there wast a chip or crack in transom so I thought every thing was good. priced repair and it was around 3000 (what I paid for boat) So I did what any good hillbilly son would do, HEY DAD what ya think. We found out that they must of had problem with installing jack plate and the holes where oval and no sealent on bolts just around the plate. we pulled the rotted wood out (DIRT with some wood) without having to totaly lay her open, we replaced wood and glassed it back in used stainless to cover top of transom (cap)and she was still solid when I sold her(2 years later). Couse I let new owner know about it all sold her cheap (1k) and she had a 6 month old pro series 67 M/G on her so I think he did okay eveen if it only last a couple more years , Imean heck is a 80 model with a 80 model rude that never had a rebuild that started great and smoked only like the old ones do.

Do you all think that the silicone should be redone every once in a while? I have a 1995 boat. Am I able to do it? Should I take it to the boat place?

Carlos

Carlos -

Last summer I drilled holes into my transom to mount a Guest on-board charger..... My boat is a '94. I saw no seepage; so I would say that age has nothing to do with it. I can't see any reason why, if the drillings were sealed properly at first, they would ever need to be resealed.

I'd say that this would be one of those cases where you may do more harm than good if you start messing with it.....

If it ain't broke - don't fix it!

me!

I agree with scott on this one, the jack plate on mine was done after boat was bought and not by the factory, the installers screwed it up.

Latest posts

Back