HDS5 problems Quality/Service???

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug Gilbert

Reaction score

I've been looking at buying Side imaging and comparing both Hummingbird and Lowrance, but I've heard some negative things about Lowrance HDS-5. Specifically, the HDS-5 has leaking problems in the rain on the flush bow mount, was released before it was ready and tends to fail alot and customer service is the pits (takes months to get unit repaired and sent back or spend 30 min on hold when speaking to help desk).

Both units are alot of money and although I'm leaning towards lowrance I am very concerned with this and I'm trying to make an informed choice. Does anyone have any first hand knowledge or experience with Lowrance? Would you agree with these problems?

Thanks for any input!

I have a 520 that did collect water. I was told it was a 3M sealant problem and it had been corrected. As far as service, I sent one email to Lowrance(someone here can give you her name and email address, I am at a different computer and don't have that information right now)and she took care of it. That was right before Chrismas and I haven't received the replacement yet but I am sure I will. I have since bought a HDS7 and have had no problems.

At Lowrance you need to contact Linda Colt. It's a shame that you need to find "the" person to get a problem resolved.

On another note, I ordered some solar lights for around the pool and when they arrived (on-time btw) one out of the 10 did not work. I was getting myself all prepared for a fight with Sportsman's Guide (where I ordered them) and forced myself to make the call. Within 3 minutes I had a replacement light on the way no questions asked. :D That was very refreshing!!

TOXIC

I have no personal experience with the Lowrance unit described. However, I would suggest that you consider this.

One company and their product have been on the market for about 5 years now, with lot's of experience under their belt regarding Side Imaging. They had worked on developing it, for more than 10 years before being introcduced. That would obviously be Humminbird.

Lowrance is new to the technology and product(s). While Lowrance is a fine company with solid products, I'd give a lot of consideration to who has the lead and experience before spending that kind of money on a side imaging unit. Personally, I think that it will still take a few years for Lowrance to 'catch up'.

Tex

My take is yes a lot of what you hear about the HDS 5 is true. I owned one for a brief period and i was 100% not impressed with it. I had a 520c that i was not at all happy with the performance of from a fish finding standpoint. I had been dealing with Lowrance for over a year to get it resolved ( software updates, downgrades, new units etc) to no avail. When the sidecsan was announced i figured i would get somewhat ahead of the curve and i got myself an HDS5. I didnt have any failures per-se but performance was again a problem. For such a simple install( transducer strapped to a tm) to not work as one would expect( i couldnt pick up a bait ball that i could actually see with my eyes or a 5 gal pail i planted in 10' of water) leads me down the road they there is something wrong with the design. The real issue for me and what drove me to make a change was the customer service. I never spoke to Linda but i can tall you the people i did speak to were either aloof, condecending, rude or a combination of the three on the phone and it was obvious they didnt care. I got pretty angry after dealing with it for as long as i did and i still have a bitter taste in my mouth from it thats going take a while to go away.

So after a couple trips with the HDS5 with the same issues i was having with the 520 back to the store it went and i went down a road i never though i would. I ended up buying two new humminbirds one 788c the other a 798SI. I could not be any happier since making said switch, my electronics issues were resolved instantly. I now have sonar that works the way i expect it to and the SI is downright awesome. I have had one dealing with thier CS due to an interference problem on my TM and with the help of Greg Walters who comes to this site and others and a quick phonecall to CS it was resolved. They sent me a free kit that included everything i would need to make the problem go away and worked as they said it would. The rep i spoke to was very plesant and didnt act like i was bothering them like when i called lowrance, i didnt have to wait 3 hours + on hold either. Like i said before i never thought i would have bought Humminbirds and if you asked a couple years ago i would have said no way, i had not owned or used one in years and i always thought Lowrance was a step ahead of them so to speak. Given my recent experience with Lowrance and what i have seen from my new Humminbirds boy was i wrong that assumption for sure.

I personally have a Lowrance HDS-5 and I love it, Greatest part of my boat in my opinion.

For a brief minute I thought of going with a Humminbird for my dash, since my bow is a Humminbird. But I think it is a peronal opinion, Do you like or are you familiar with one "color scheme" over the other?

For people to come on here and say negative things about a company such as Lowrance or Humminbird seems a little rediculious. They are both very strong products that have been around for many many years.

Like anything it comes to personal preference. My two cents is that My Lowrance HDS 5 has given me ZERO problems and I am looking forward to buying the 8" or 10" model this spring. And yes I have been fishing in downpours,snow etc. and no problems. just a great unit. and in my member profile there is a nice bait ball pic to prove it.

Good Luck
BaitChartWinni.jpg

the water issues were early released 5's and 7's and have since been corrected.

as for your other problems I cannont comment other than to say that I have had nothing but success with Lowrance products in the 20 years I have owned them.

with all that said, I do not have any HDS units (yet)....

Mini,

I had zero problems with any of the units i owned until i got the 520c( which didnt have a good rep form what i have read and had water issues as well). I will still say today that the absolute best fishfinder i have ever owned in my opinion was an LMS 350a, that thing was awesome in every way.

My beef with Lowrance today isnt so much the units as that can happen to anyone. Its how poorly i was treated trying to get something to work that i spent a lot of heard earned money on only to replace it with the same brand with similar issues only to be again treated poorly. I dont take to kindly being treated that way and as such they arent getting any more of my money.

Ya I agree Jim, Nothing is worse than post purchase disrespect from any company. Luckily I havent had to deal with CS for either company but yes it seems the Lowrance CS sucks according to what I read mostly on here..Thats to bad to. because it is very important.

Did you contact Linda Colt @ Lowrance?

Mini, Nope i never did get to speak to Linda. I did try but never got my calls returned. I also should not have to deal with one person directly i should be able to speak to anyone in support/CS team and be able to get a solution. The support people are the face of the company to the customer should problems arise, you should not have to circumvent them to get resolution.

For me the damage is done and they have lost me as a customer.

About a year ago I had a transducer to go out, I contacted Lowrance by phone and was put on hold for about a half hour. Finally after a rediculous wait time on the phone I spoke to someone in customer service and ordered the transducer, six months later I finally recieved it. It was a horrible experience.

I love this site......well thanks guys some really great viewpoints from both sides. I work in customers service so I have real good understanding of its importance and short comings. I guess I'll give this some more thought and make the plunge......again thanks to all!!!

Doug

started my own rant... lol as its more about 520c's and customer service..

Latest posts

Back