Happy Happy Joy Joy!!!!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mini

Reaction score
Just got a call from Doug at North Bay Marine on Jefferson and he told me that my lower unit will be fixed this evening and I can pick it up tomorrow! I dropped the lower unit off to him on Monday after work and was told at that time it would be Monday before he could have it done.

I had a blown shaft seal that was leaking lube out of the water intake. He is putting in a new bolt down seal, new water pump kit, checked the gears and bearings (they were in great shape) and vacuum and pressure testing the whole thing after he reseals it.....

I am so happy as I was expecting the worse (always do on things like this)....

What really impressed me was this man's knowledge of the lower unit. He knew my problem before he even looked at the it and took the time to show me what was wrong. Showed me the new part that would fix it for good. It is something that Mercury should have done from the beginning (and they are doing this on all the newer 3.0L XS series Opti's.

All said and done it will cost me $447.99 which may sound like alot, but for the peace of mind and now a mechanic/marina I know I can trust it is worth every penny.

I would recommend North Bay Marine to anyone with a Mercury outboard or Mercruiser I/O. These guys really know there stuff, shop was immaculate and full of customers engines and outdrives.

Come to find out we know alot of the same people in the marine industry due to my 12+ years working for Crusader Engines. Good honest people and fast dependable service.

I will install tomorrow after I pick it up and get teh Ranger wet sometime tomorrow afternoon. I might take it to Stoney for crappie or just break down and take it to Clair to see if I can find some crappie there

Call me Mac if you want to tag along!

Will go Sunday!! Tomorrow I'm taking Kathy to the wing's game!!! She doesn't even know I have the tickets yet,,...gonna surprise her after work today!!:wub::rolleyes:

I'll call you!!

Mac

You are a good man Mac, I dont care what Tox says....

Good deal mini. It's always nice to find a good mechanic!!

Last week, guys were ice fishing here. I went by the ramp today....ice is gone!!!! :D

Now it's time to get excited about fishing!!!

Good luck tomorrow.

Bob G.

Now just don't knock it off at the Deliverance Invitational!!:lol::lol: My clutch dog is acting a little strange, I'll know more after I'm on the water tomorrow and Sunday with that writer.

TOXIC

I am so happy as I was expecting the worse (always do on things like this)....

All said and done it will cost me $447.99 which may sound like a lot, but for the peace of mind and now a mechanic/marina I know I can trust it is worth every penny.

Both of those statements could have been written by me Mini. I'm the exact same way. I ALWAYS expect the very worse so that way if it's not quite up to what I expected, I'm still ok with it.:lol:

Nothing sounds like a lot to me as long as what I paid someone to do performs the way it's supposed to, and then I don't have to worry about it. And finding someone you can trust and rely on is icing on the cake!:cool:

Uncle Billy

I have had the same boat/motor mechanic for almost 7 years... Finding him was a blessing. I have the greatest trust in him and he treats me right... Good feeling to know you have that kind of backup when you need the boat fixed.;)

Mini - Good to hear it a lot less then a while lowerunit, I know what one cost for my 115 Merc whould hate see/hear what one for your big motor would cost!

You putting the lowerunit back on yourself? Wow Mini can fish and is a mechanic! Good man!!

Trep

Yes I put it on myself. I would have tore it down myself too but the cost of buying all the special tools would be too much.

Lowest rebuilt I found was $1800 new Merc MSRP is $5400!

Slapped that puppy on with new nylock nuts and a new prop nut in about an hour (phone was ringing off the hook). Took the boat to the lake...:)

Happy happy happy.....I got 9 crappie, didnt keep any...they were all right at 9" with one at 11. two smallies and about 20 largemouth all on a 6' ultralight slip bobber rig. my last fish was, sit down Tox, a 6 pounder :)

It was a largehead Tox.

Also for all you MVM attendees....

I have cancelled going to the NBAA National Championship on the Ohio River due to gas prices :) I will be in full effect for MVM Toad-a-palooza 08

YIPPEEEE!!! Good News!! The MVM at full strength!! Them smallies better all head up the river before we get there!! I feel a 6lb'er as we speak.

TOXIC

If they head that way we will certainly follow!

12 more days until the opening on the Catch and immediate Release season for bass :)

I am so excited!

Kudos on "the sweet smell of success" concerning the L/U. Glad to see you're out and using it!!:D

Thanks Dan. I will be out a few more times this week too :)

With only 12 days left until I get to hook some bass legally, I have alot of crappie/walleye fishin to do!

Latest posts

Back