Gun guys - AR question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TritonGlenn

Reaction score
I've put my cash together and almost purchased an AR about a dozen times already, but always talk myself out of it at the last minute.

Looking for an AR for fun at the range (out to 200 yards at the range I go to), hunting deer and hogs (maybe), and general purpose "SHTF" type weapon. I own bolt actions, lever actions, single shots, and two really fun pistol-caliber carbines... but no centerfire rifle caliber rifles.

Favorite brand(s)?, Brands to stay away from?, Caliber (.223/5.56, .308, 6.8SPC)?

Also - I need / want a flattop to use with a scope. Can I take the front post sight off, or does that have to be on there? Every one I see has that front post sight on it.

Thanks in advance.

All the best,

Glenn

You might want to look at the Bushmaster "optics ready carbine". It is the best of both worlds. Basically, a flat top without sights. Flip up front and rear sights are options. The flat top is ready for any scope accessory you want to put on. I love my EOTech 512 Holographic Sight.

Here is the O.R.C. http://www.bushmaster.com/catalog_xm15_BCWVMF16M4ORC_le.asp?zoom_highlight=optics+ready+carbine

Hope this helps. If you have questions, I can put in touch with the right people with answers at Bushmaster if my wife can't answer them. She has worked there 11 years now.

Lamar

Lamar,

Thanks. I think I had spoke with you in the past about this very same subject. I was leaning towards the Bushmaster ORC already, but don't know enough about the weapon right now.

What is the deal with the "Carbon 15" that Cabelas has on sale right now? It's like $650 or something like that for a .223 / 5.56, but it specifies that it's a "carbon composite upper and lower". Kinda spooked on the whole "carbon" thing when it comes to firearm receivers. Rods? Yep. Guns? Hmmmm.....:huh:

All the best,

Glenn

If you want it for fun, get the .223. If you want to hunt, get the .308. The .223 will kill a deer, but there are better calibers for that. I wouldn't shoot a pig with a .223 unless I was being run down! Chances are you would just make him mad, and a mad pig is a bad, bad thing.:D

I agree that a .223 isn't a great deer gun but bullet placement has the final say. I personally would perfer the all metal upper and lower reciever. I have two AR's one A2 and a M4. A flattop with a picatinny rail would be also perfered as it's easier to mount a scope. A carry handle has an adapter to use as a mount and it works well but puts the scope high making proper cheek weld on the stock somewhat difficult.

There are so many quaility makers of AR's almost any are good. The parts are all interchangeable. I have a Bushmaster A2and a M4 type home build with stag arms and DPMS parts. It has a 3X12x40 AR scope with a six position folding back stock. The A2 has a match barrel and is a tack driver. So whatever fits your budget. Once you have the Black Gun fever it's hard to believe you waited so long to get one.

fatrap

I agree that a .223 isn't a great deer gun but bullet placement has the final say. I personally would perfer the all metal upper and lower reciever. I have two AR's one A2 and a M4. A flattop with a picatinny rail would be also perfered as it's easier to mount a scope. A carry handle has an adapter to use as a mount and it works well but puts the scope high making proper cheek weld on the stock somewhat difficult.

There are so many quaility makers of AR's almost any are good. The parts are all interchangeable. I have a Bushmaster A2and a M4 type home build with stag arms and DPMS parts. It has a 3X12x40 AR scope with a six position folding back stock. The A2 has a match barrel and is a tack driver. So whatever fits your budget. Once you have the Black Gun fever it's hard to believe you waited so long to get one.

fatrap

Glenn, I don't have a ton of experience with these. I just assembled my first one earlier this year (a 16" light weight A2 style from a Del-ton kit), but did a lot of reading prior to forging ahead.

The front sight is part of the front gas block assembly. In addition to providing a fixture for the front sight, there is a gas tap integrated into the sight fixture, covering the tapped hole in the barrel where the gas bleeds off during firing, to actuate the bolt.

Many of the manufacturers offer options where the gas block has a flattop/picatinny fixture instead of a sight post, similar to a flattop upper reeiver. You can then add a removable front sight, if desired. There are also models where the front gas block assembly doesn't have any other function (the Remington R15, and other "varmint" type models). Those designs are intended solely as a scoped rifle. I've read some DIY projects where the top of the traditional front sight gets cut off and the fixture is shaped and refinished to make an optics-only gun.

Regarding the carbon fiber Bushmaster: They have offered that model for a number of years now, and while there have been some problems, they are generally considered reliable, as best I can tell from my reading. For my tastes, it's a bit too exotic. The benefit is the weight savings, and I find that my light weight A2 build is already light enough. I prefer the tried-and-true metallurgy of the original design. There are people who can't resist hanging several pounds of accessories off of these things, and I suppose the weight savings might be handy in those situations.

There are other low cost alternatives from Model 1, Del Ton, Olympic, DPMS, and many others. AR15 promotions are going hot and heavy at the moment, and I don't think that will stop anytime soon. Over the Black Friday weekend, MidwayUSA was offering a DPMS upper for $350. Del Ton had a rifle kit deal for $450 (less lower receiver). Both of those deals would allow completing a rifle for less than $600. If you don't mind assembly from a kit, it takes a couple of hours.

Where are you located Glenn? I've got a Bushmaster for sale for $700, but shipping and FFL fees would likely make the gun cost more than a BNIB AR would cost you locally.

It's not a flat-top, but it has about 200 rds down the pipe, Bear Coat camo finish, original 10 rd Bushy mag and 2 30 rd mags, sling, and black tactical carry case included. Pics are in my library.

Scott,

I'm in San Antonio TX. I really need a flat-top though. Probably going to buy a ORC Bushmaster.

Rich,

Thanks for the reply and info. That's exactly what I needed to know regarding the front sight / gas block assembly. That answered that question perfectly. Now I know what I need to steer clear of if I want it to end up as I have it in my head (flat top - no front sight). I'm going to pass on the carbon fiber versions. I don't mind polymer framed pistols, but anything surrounding the breech / bolt / barrel / etc... I would rather have metal.

All the best,

Glenn

late reply here, but the majority of the accuray you get out of the AR series is your barrel. bottom line is to get a good quality barrel to screw on. Assemble the rifle by the numbers paying attention to a few key assembly areas and you should have a hammer.

Why no front sight? Never?? Always scoped? if you do put a front sight assemnbly on there you will see a slight shadow, but nothing you can shoot though.

Good luck and happy shooting

Carlos,

Elasticity in my eyeballs is pretty much gone. Can't focus on iron sights. Tried with two carbines and a lever action .30-30. They all wear scopes now. I used to love iron sights. Couldn't get me to put a scope on anything. Now I have to, and I own so many Nikons, I should have bought stock in the company years ago.

All the best,

Glenn

Got back in town late last night and wanted to add a couple suggestions. My Panther AR's (.223) are both picatinny and I locked the grab handle on one and mounted an inexpensive 4X green light reticle on it. (A 16" barreled "grab and go" gun.) I made a tack driver out of the 20" with a Trij ACOG 3X30. As you already know, and the other much more knowledgeable posters have mentioned, there are an almost infinite selection of combinations available on both .223 and .308 platforms. With the other suggestions I would wholeheartedly recommend the chrome lined barrels for your build. Reduced fouling build up, cleaning and accuracy are the rewards I've experienced. Good luck! ;)

My only opinion on this issue is to stay on the side of a 5.56 rather than a .223 (which I have). You can shoot .223s out of a 5.56 rifle, but not the other way around. If I were to do it over again, I'd put my money into a 5.56 AR because it would be a bit better hunting round than the .223.

Latest posts

Back