Good Day on the Potomac

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Hammer TOXIC

Reaction score
Carlos and I decided to get out before the monsoon rains set in and see what we could do on the Potomac. Gotta say we did pretty good. Best5 probably a little over 20lbs. Would have been a lot over 20 if I hadn't lost a big un when she long lined me on a trap. Gotta give kudos to my setup. JLM Carbonlite reel and rod with the microguides and 35lb braid. For the $$ that is a very sweet setup and I for sure will be ordering more of the same!! I was afraid the braid was going to grab the microguides but it never happened once and I was throwing it most all day. It was easy to adjust between all sizes of traps and never birdnested on me one, even throwing into a stiff wind. I'll let Carlos chime in on how far I could throw it. Anyway, here is the payoff.......

Vacation 2012 101.jpg

Vacation 2012 099.jpg

TOXIC

Nice fish guys! What's with the black spots on Carlos' fish? Also, didn't he have a blue Ranger?

You shoulda seen her other side Jim, covered in the spots. I've seen this just about everywhere I have fished. Lots of theories but none seen to think it is harmful. That's Carlos' most recent purchase a sweet 520 in his favorite color...:lol:with a 250 Yamahammer. The Blue boat was like 2 boats ago.

TOXIC

Nice Fish Guys!:cool:

Tox...alot fo the fish that come out of K&B have those spots. Seems the "river run" lakes have those spots and no health problems.

I think those are BS spots from being too close to our !#$@#! cheating lying politicians.

fatrap

Two boats ago?!? Man, I need to find time to fish AND catch up with you guys! :D Glad to see you guys on fish.

HELLO !!!! 2 VERY NICE BASS !! WHAT THE WEIGHT, HARD TO TELL IN A PIC, BUT LOOK LIKE ROUND 6LB AND 6 1/2 -----6 3/4.....OR CLOSE. TOURNAMENT WINNERS IS WHAT I CALL EM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CAUGHT 185 ALL KEEPER BASS ON LAKE HARTWELL IN 7 DAYS WITH MY DAD 2 WEEKS AGO, BUT THE BIGGEST WAS 21/2--3LB TOPS.BUT MOST WERE FROM 1.5--2LBS !!!! 4 INCH GREEN PUMPKIN DEAD RINGER WORM AND A 4 INCH GREEN PUMPKIN LIZARD !!!!! AND A FEW LUCKY CRAFT JERKBAITS BUT 99.999999% ON RING WORMS !!! GREEN PUMPKIN IS THE BEST DOWN SOUTH. 1 TRIP WE WENT OUT AT 7AM, CAME IN AT NOON........HAD 42 BASS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NEVER SEEN A BITE LIKE THAT, OR DAD, IN OUR LIVES EVER !!!

Those are 5lb class fish. What I don't get is the buggy eyes on the bigger fish, I mean it's not like we caught them out of 25 feet, deepest we fished was 7 foot!! Personally, I think it's a sign that they have reached their maximum size. Mike, although there is a poop plant on the river there is a constant flow from the city!!:lol: So much hot air the river is warmer up North!! I've caught the spotted fish on both sides of Lake Anna as well. Fishin with Carlos is a workout. TM on constant and a lot of chuck and wind. At least I am now ready for a week of non-stop fishing on St Clair mid-May. Coming back to VA and the wife's cooking has put a few extra pounds on me.

TOXIC

The bug eye can be a sign of age. From what I have been told or read.

Great pics fellas!! Looks like Arkendale Flats or airport run? ;)

The eyes are definitely an indicator of age. Pretty much every part on a bass keeps growing through its life, even the eyes. Growth slows with age, but it keeps on happening in most fish. That's usually the cause of the "bug eyed" effect on bass, but I have also seen them with "Popeye", as its known in S. FL, in brackish water. That's when the eye gets inflamed and swolen large from a disease. Snook get it commonly as well.

Nice Palomino chunks! :D

One thing you learn when you fish with Carlos is that there can be NO identifying landmarks in the picture!!:lol: Although we were in Ark, that is not where we snagged those stump carp. That's what I thought about the eyes. That is why it is soooooo important to put the big girls back. Genetics make the difference!!

TOXIC

Tox/Carlos

I have caught tons of bass and I have never seen one with spots on them like that. I have caught nice largemouth about three pounds with the pharyngeal tooth patch on the tongue in the Santa Fee river when I was in Florida but never those patches. Have you sent the pics to a biologist? Stuff like that fastinates me even though I now fish for fish that have sharp teeth that are delicious to eat. $4 a gallon diesel when I go fishing I'm gonna eat fish.

fat(er)rap

Mike, it's been discussed ad nauseum on some of the boards I fish and Fisheries Biologists have weighed in that there are a number of reasons from under the skin fungal growths to what amount to fish "freckles". Not to be confused with lesions or sores, these spots are harmless and pose no risk to fish or fisherman. I'll see if I can't find the old discussion and bring it over here. I just wish there was a population of leech eaters around me because I'd be like a hog in tall cotton. Some are stocked in a small lake just down the road from my house and I have caught them for dinner. River systems have a few and there are some in Lake Anna but not a lot caught. Striper is our Walleye. Good eating but not like an eye. One year at the MVM we got lucky and loaded the boat with them at the mouth of a river, that's when we converted a non-fish eating Carlos to the darkside!! Fresh Walleye and Morel mushrooms sauteed in butter is hard to beat.

100_1374 (2).jpg

BTW, the fish I am holding in that pic went nuts and my finger slipped through the gills and into it's mouth. I still carry the scars from that meal. But it was well worth it.

TOXIC

our smallies have the spots....lots of em.

its harmless. seem to see more of it in the spring than any other time.

Tox - check out the Upper Potomac above Point of Rocks. I've pulled several walleye out of some deep holes there. Nothing like walleye filets grilled over a campfire (with butter!). Yum! Trying for more later this summer . . .

Jim

hello.....toxic i have a question in the performance section about the nx882 and the jackplate cuz im thinking that the motor needs to be raised 1-2 holes up. read what i wrote there and try ya best to explain to me how i can know if it needs raised. been lookin at others too and all look like theyre raised a foot taller than mine. i know when its sittin in the garage level, when you trim down the motor it digs in concrete way b4 its all the way down, does that say anythng......man i can send you close up pix too of the plate and motor bracket to let you see where its at if that will help. if you can please explain all this to me......thnxxx alot.

Latest posts

Back