Gonna Go Tweak the Prop Tomorrow

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Hammer TOXIC

Reaction score
Well, since the weather is so nice and the plugs are at the marina for my Trophy 2 prop, I'm gonna go down to the cold side tomorrow and play a little. Prop is set up with 4 of the medium size plugs right now and although it comes out of the hole like a rocket, it blows out a little as the nose sets down. It is actually better out of the hole now than when it had the old prop on it and the top end is waaaaaay better. I have the option of putting the small plugs (plugging more of the flow through) or solid plugs to completly seal off the exhaust flow, or large plugs. Too many combos possible here for me!! My old prop had 2 solids and 2 wide open with no plugs. First I am going to put two solids in and if that "bogs" me down too much I will try either 4 small, or 2 medium and 2 small. I assume none of these combos will effect top end? As is stands right now, my guess is with the new prop I gained 3 to 5 mph top end. I don't want to loose that!! I'm turning a few hundie more RPM's also. Both props were 25 pitch. The new prop seems to have a smaller diameter on the hub. Also my old prop was like a razor all the way along the cutting edge of the prop blade. My new one is blunt until about the top 1/3 of the prop blade and then it gets real sharp. Must be a new design. Older Trophy's were known for slingin' blades and they "re-formulated" them according to the marina I bought the prop from. Last time we were out on the hot side, Carlos made a comment that it seemed like my rig was "gettin' it" pretty good. I musta been because she got real thirsty for gas and oil on that trip, might be the increased rpm's and the fact that I was runnin her hard (but not WOT!!:p).

Y'All better wear your rainsuits Saturday if I get her dialed in!!:lol::lol:

TOXIC

I learned (after the fact), a real neat trick on the PVS plugs - Just buy the solid ones. Bring a cordless drill and your bit set with you to the ramp. Run it - pull up to the dock with the engine up and sit on the dock - drill out the plugs one size bigger - run it again - repeat until perfect. Just a thought. I did it the old way, like you are doing, but a friend of mine did the solid plug / drill trick, and it worked great.

All the best,

Glenn

Good idea Glenn. I wasn't planning on pullin her out for every exchange, I was gonnal just back her up to the end of the dock and work on her rear....:eek::eek::lol:

You gonna be there Saturday?

TOXIC

As of today, I havn't heard from Ron, so it's looking more and more like Anna on Saturday for me. If I havn't heard from him by tomorrow evening, I'm hitching up the boat when I get home. I just need some directions on where to meet you all, maybe a contact number or two, and let me know what I need to bring.

All the best,

Glenn

Roger that!

No top end effect.

They just control the flow of exhaust gas over the blades when you start out and allow the prop to spin up in RPM's. Once your running, the exhaust flows thru the hub center and the plugs don't mean squat!

Adjust your plug sizes for hole shot and no blow out when tucked under.

Tox, let us know haow you do with the four blade. Thinking of trying one my self.

Thanks

CJ:D

Well, I put 2 solid plugs in and I'm still getting some blowout but not as bad as before. I might just put the other 2 solids in and then drill them out per Glen's advice if I bog. Not being a performance guy I am pretty impressed with the Trophy 2. Granted, my old prop (Trophy) was a 2000 model year and had never been worked. It didn't have any major nicks before it decided to pith a blade but this new prop is really turning better. My heavy old 929 is doing the old 2 step at 3/4 throttle (chine walking). I have to drive her now. I still can't blast out of the hole at full throttle either. I'd have played with it som more today but I loced my keys in the truck and had to call a tow service to come get it open:angry:. Did a little fishin on the cold side and could only manage a couple of stripers on a dep diving cordell redfin.

Glenn, did you get directions? E-mail Bill if you didn't....I can get you close but it would be better if we met and you followed me. Last resort we'll do that.

TOXIC

Tox,

I'm not going to make it. Sorry. Googled it this afternoon - almost a 3 hour drive for me - one way. I'm just not up to it right now, this close to Christmas, etc.... I'm not going hunting either. Been feeling a bit under the weather all day, so I just decided to do the best thing for me - stay home and play with my son. If I'm feeling any better tomorrow morning, I may take him to the Nottoway to test the boat with the new console - after all - I installed it for him. :D . Sorry I won't be with you guys tomorrow. First time I was invited, and I'm having to turn it down. Sure hope this won't be the last invite - so once again - Sorry! You all have a fun and safe time.

All the best,

Glenn

Tox,

you might need to have a cavitation ring welded on that prop to stop the blowout. It sounds like either you are getting too much exhaust over the hub or maybe your motor is too high for the prop. You could try dropping the motor a little if you have an adjustable plate and see if that helps.

What you are experiencing is the same thing i had whhen i tried a trophy on my 882. It would hook up fine then just as the bow dropped it would blow out. Thats the reason i ended up going back to the 3 blade tempest and having it blueprinted. On my hull the worked 3 blade is quicker out of the hole then the tempest was and has every bit as much bite in rough water. The blueprinting is a pretty amazing deal if its done right. The 882 hull for some reason just runs better with a three blade. i wonder if the 929 is the same way?

How do you know when you have the PVS flow optimized without going too far with opening the holes? Are there any balance issues with having different size holes. I started messing with mine to try and get a little better hole shot. I have a 4 blade and they were all plugged so I removed 2 completely. Got some vibration not on hole shot but when I gave it a little throttle to get moving. I assume there is too much flow.

Ahhh ... found my old post where Pat provided some great info.

Sounds like the best approach is the drilling one where you open the holes a little at a time until you get a little slippage when you are breaking over on plane as Pat mentions in the old post.

http://www.nitroowners.com/shared/m...IEW=889569&REPLYCOUNT=14&sitename=nitroowners

Back