Given the choice... flush or ram mount?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Randolph

Reaction score
Given the choice... would you prefer the sleek, finished, uncluttered look of flush mounted electronics on the bow and dash, or prefer the adjustability, removability, and ease of wiring access of ram mounting?

RAM - Another thing to consider is the ability to upgrade electronics with a RAM is effortless over a flush mount. People tend to change out electronics on their boat during ownership and the RAM makes it much easier. Good luck. ;)

Ram - It also eliminates some of the jarring effect of a rough ride.

HP

I agree with the above. I currently have a flush mounted one on my Z7 in the console because thats the way it came from the factory. I would prefer the ram for the ability to remove it easily when traveling or for winter as well as for easier upgrades.

The way mine is not severely limits my options as to what i can have mounted in there. The older 332c/520c lowrance chassis fit in there, the hds 5 wont. I currently have a 798 humminbird in there but the bigger units wont fit. So unless i either make some sort of cover for the hole or leave a dummy unit in there im limited as to what i can install.

RAM....your electronics are subject to CRAZY vibrations when flush mounted. On the water AND on the road! Then consider the elements...rain/sun constant, under the cover heat is a MAJOR issue.

RAM and remove after every trip!

Not sure that the Ram mount offers that much more, if any, anti-shock benefits. Support the Ram mount in that you can adjust it to avoid sun glare, ease viewing from different positions, etc.

RAM, luv the muliple angles you can put them in, as the sun moves so can the unit, helps eliminate glare on the screen.

While you shouldn't need another opinion - RAM! After using one RAM mount for a TV Sized Side Scan, that is the only way to go.

Tex

Only go RAM if you buy the big dog version, the smaller ball versions are easily crushed and don't hold up in my experience. So, if you're gonna RAM mount, spend the extra money on the bigger ball.

I agree with the "big dog version" RAM mount. A guy at a tournament lost his 1198c SI in the drink cause the small ball just came out of the clamp.

@ Jim B I Have a 2011 Z7 and They @ BPS put a HDS 5 in dash or flush dash mount just fine and also the same on the bow, flush. I like it this way myself. They are out of the way when flush. I used a LMS 520c before this and had it to where I could move it around but after fishing them flush for a few months, I like it flush better. I have not had any trouble with sun glare or anything. But what do I know, everyone else went the other way, just like me I guess HAHA!!!

Latest posts

Back