Gift rod/reel w/Basstune to Pres. Bush from NTOWS

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas Transplant

Reaction score
There has been a small discussion going on today on another thread (the 'Strong Leader' thread), that was discussing Pres. Bush and his recent leadership. Along the way, the suggestion came up to have Mac customize a rod for the President. Someone has identified the ability to ensure that the gift would actually get to him.

We decided to see if we could solicit enough contributions from the board to fund a new Rod/Reel combo, complete with a Mac original.

Since we now have this going and started with at least 3-4 of us interested, I have offered to be the collection point. Our intention is to collect enough donations to purchase a rod and reel, then Mac will add the finishing touches. We are intending to make the purchase(s) from American companies. So here goes. If you would like to participate, read on.

I would 'suggest', that donations be about $10.00 each. Any amount of $$ would of course be welcome. If you wish to contribute more (or less), then the amounts would remain confidential. All donations should be via cash or check. Don't need Money orders unless that is your preference. If you write a check, make it payable to me (use my regular name, NOT Texas Transplant!).

John Astrello

2390 Hilldale Dr.

Rock Hill, SC 29732

Email: [email protected]

If you decide to send something, email me with the amount so that I can 'count up' what's coming. I will hold all monies (including checks), until we are at the needed funding level.

Now, we just have to determine the funding level.

Tex

I'm in for $10, will mail check early next week.

And Tex, just a thought, but I'll send you also a brochure from an American company, "Grandt Rods", they have a website also,( www.grandtrods.com) I don't know exact pricing, but I'd imagine it'd be comparable to St. Croix rods. The front page of the brochure shows the owner of Grandt Rods, Jim Grandt, presenting a rod to Pres. Bush, (dad) anyway, just a thought to throw out there.( doesn't matter to me what brand it ends up being) Anyway, I'll be sending a check in a few days.... egMike

It's in the mail. Great idea, I'm glad i can be a part of it.

The more $$ we collect,..the better combo we can get!!!...and if we get enough,..we'll get two and give one to Colin Powell!!,.....after this Iraq campaign is over,..those two dudes are going to NEED a fishin' trip!!

ahahahha.....

Tex--I'll be throwing a few bucks in the mail soon.This is a great idea.There is a company here in Pa. called Golden Witch.They make beautiful hand made bamboo and graphite rods for every thing from fly,to spinning rods for bass and walleye.I saw a T.V. show about this company and these rods are TOP OF THE LINE and BEAUTIFUL,especially the bamboo.Just a thought.their website is GOLDEN WITCH.COM

Tex,

I'll put the 10 spot in the mail tomorrow. Mac, can you take a picture of the rod before you send it so we can see what it looks like?

Barb

I missed the other thread but how do we know if the president is a fisherman??? What kind of fishing does he do? I know his George Sr. fishes saltwater. Do we get him a saltwater rig????

Marke

Marke,

We know George W. is a fisherman cause he is a Republican and an outdoorsman!! I think I saw him bass fishing on TV once and it didn't look like a phony set-up. Remember one former pres with his phony publicity stunt as a duck hunter while campaigning for his first stint for pres?? Turned out that he never held an official hunting license for ANY state is the US and was attempting to get the sportsman and sportswoman vote. I never bought into it!

Bob G.

reminds me of the pres that wanted a new joggin track at the whitehouse. guess one who ran for pres tried the jogging thing too and couldn't get all the votes recounted. sorry, couldn't resist!

jd

I'm in. Can't send it until next week, but will then. Marke, are you kidding? GWB is a huge bass fan. I've read articles on him and his dad fishing bass in TX. That's my kind of prez! I say we get him a nice JLM combo custom "tuned" by Mackelroy, and we can send a letter of THANKS along with it for his leadership and efforts. God knows he receives enough criticizm. Time to let him know there are as many Americans that support him and think he's doing a great job. Now Greg has to make sure it gets TO HIM, and not to a SS agent like Mac said. We probably shouldn't spool it with line. I don't imagine several x-rays is good for mono! LOL

Count me in. I did a search and below is about the best thing I found on gifts to the president.

Presidential Gifts

So who decides what they even see or don't see???? I can't believe they have to BUY them. IT'S A GIFT for cryin out loud! You know, if the president saw that rod combo, he'd say, "I'm keeping that puppy!"!!! LOL I will chip in if it's going to the prez, but not for a museum!

Barb,..you can bet I'll take a pix and post it here..it's going to be a masterpiece when I'm done with it!! I just hope he gets it,...maybe we can get it to GHWB and he can give it to his "son"..LOL....

Mac

Seriously...

Mac may have the right approach...

I'll for sure donate, but I'd like to know that he will actually get it...

Anyone have connections with the previous President George Bush???

az

maybe also we are going about this all wrong? If GWB is an avid bass fisherman he probably can get whatever his hearts desire as far as fishin equipment. what makes this unique is macs artisanship and our club so to speak. what about a plaque or something recognizing his leadership with some art from mac on it. at least if it ends up in a museum or something it would be seen. i'd love to get the prez a rod n reel but the odds of him getting and using it may be low. a plaque or something may have a better chance getting to him. i'm still in whatever is decided.

jd

If we go that route, (plaque or other than a combo), I'm still in, lots of good ideas, and questions above. Personally, I'll take my chances that he'd actually receive the gift, and if not, I'LL still feel good about it,knowing how it came from a collection of people from all walks of life, with this one common thread:(boats,fishing,and gratitude for his leadership.) I would think we wouldn't want to stray too far from giving him something fishing/outdoors related, because of who we are, and the site...but this is all just my opinion and I'm in no matter what we go with. Just out of curiosity, haven't seen anything from Rich Stern on this, is he the developer of this site? Being relatively new I don't know the history of the site and all that, was just wondering. Would this be something that'd have to be talked to him about if the name of the site is put on it? With well over 1000 members, there may be hundreds out there that don't want to be associated with it, for whatever reasons. Not tryin' to be a spoilsport, was just wonderin', and raisin' a couple questions, and I'm still in...... egMike

We can always try going through Ray Scott,...he's good personal friends with the Sr. Bush....Ray can get to to George,..George can give it to Dubya....might be worth a try!!

The other message thread indicated that we have an 'in' to make sure that he actually get's the gift. Someone here (can't remember after two days on the water!), has a son/relative that works for Dennis Hasert.

Tex

Sorry for my political ingnorance. I just don't pay that much attention to our presidents personal life.

Neither do most of us,..unless they fish!!! LOL....the Bush's all FISH!!!...

I'll consider contributing, but I'd want to know for sure that this gift is either going to end up in the President's hands while he's fishing, or be put on display in the George W. Bush Presidential Library after he's completed his two terms. I don't want the rod/reel being given to a Secret Service agent or some other White House staff member if the intention is to express appreciation to the President.

Here's an update on the "delivery" issue...

My son, a Legislative aide to Denny Hastert, has been in contact with the DC Office (my son works out of the Local Office in Illinois) as to geeting this delivered to the Pres... We'll have an answer this week... Ta Da!

Thanks Greg. Appreciate the effort. I'll count up replies and emails tonight and give everyone an idea where we are at. I thought we would be further along, but haven't seen as much action as I would have expected. Again, I'll post a money number tonight or first thing in the morning.

Tex

Cool....Hope we get good news Greg!! Imagine an aide walking into the Pres.'s Oval office and saying...."Sir,..there's a group of your supporters who want to give you a fishing rod and reel as a gift...how should we handle this??"....GWB's reply..."Very carefully,..it's gotta be a sweeet rod from those folks!!put it in the corner over there!"..lol

Hey Tex, haven't sent in the $$ yet, will now wait to see where we're at moneywise, and will prob. bump up to $20 or $25 if needed. egMike

Why don't we send him a Johnny Morris combo...Mac get's those for nuthin'....LOL

Then we'll just send Mac some money and maybe he'll finally get around to working on the design for our NTOWS Tourney shirts.

Marke

Okay. So far, I've receieved 6 emails indicating support at some different levels, and several of those checks I have in hand already. Thanks for the prompt replies and the checks. As indicated ealier, I am 'holding' them until we reach funding.

Adding up the 6 replies, plus my contribution, we are only at a $75.00 funding level (appox.), at this time. While we can certainly purchase a combo at this level . . . . .

Just trying to report the 'facts' here. Not trying to beat anyone over the head.

Tex

I'm still interested...

Just waiting to hear back from Greg Meyer on whether or not GW will ever get to see it...

az

Okay guys... I have the arrangements made (all but finalized as to who is getting it to DC) for the delivery to Pres. Bush through Congressman Hastert's Office.

Greg,...Sue D. and I were "brainstorming" while in Atlanta,..we decided it would be cool if I donated a primo combo (brand new of course) out of my stash, customized it and made it a "group gift" from ALL OF US....and we took the $$ collected so far, and donated it to buy tackle or gift certificates for the "Blind Boy Scouts" or the "Cops and Bobber's" program that Scott and MoFish work with.....what does everyone think of that idea??..I've got a JLM/PQ combo I'll do for the President....and the cash can be used to buy stuff for the kids.....what say??

Mac

Great idea, Mac!!

The money, however, should go to Scott for the Rally. That way its a donation more closely connected with the entire NOWS group and its activities. The blind scouts use equipment owned by the Boy Scouts and by the members of my committee (our boats and terminal tackle). I appreciate the offer, but I just think the Cops and Bobbers route is a more appropriate one for these donations.

MO

Great to hear the news. I've got the checks collected up and awaiting blast off at the house. Glad to hear your suggestion Mac, as it helps considerably. I was concerned that I was going to have to email you with poor news.

I don't have the 'total' right now, but we are just over the $100.00 mark in received monies, counting what I will put in.

Anyone else interested?

Tex

I'll buck up $25. Give me a couple of days to get it into your hand, Tex.

Mac,

Can you get in touch with Rich about an appropriate letter to send with the Rod/reel. We can go over the delivery route when you are here or before if needed... But, the current plan is for it to get to a "Staffer" here in Congressman Hastert's Office locally and he will get it to the Washington DC Office... Then Washington will get it to the Pres... The Speaker of the House has some "pull" at the Whitehouse...

I'm still in, just forgot to send the $$. Will do so this weekend.

Mac, sounds like a great idea! We all gonna get to see a pic posted here once it's done?

Mike,...you bet I'll get a pix posted...

Greg,..that's cool...we can discuss it in chicago when I get there. Keep the cash coming....it's for the "kids!!"

Seeya soon!

Mac

Latest posts

Back