Gel Coat Lookin' good on my 1800FS!!!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben Robinson

Reaction score
Hey hey! I've been using 3M Fiberglass restorer wax on the hull with a 7' high speed buffer/ wool pad. Oh my goodness, is that gelcoat looking good! The cap was completely oxidized before I started, and now it is looking brand new. I hope this shine will last for awhile! BTW, the color combo on my boat is the dark green/blue metalflake cap w/ grey hull. This 3M stuff is awesome.

I've got to get them developed so I can download from a disc... man I really need a digital camera. I'll post them as soon as I get them developed.

Ben - Saw that Best Buy last sunday's ad had a $19.99 scanner, I think it was a 1200 X 1200 dpi, which is MORE than enough for any web-photos!

Ben - check out the link to the current Best Buy ad, this page has the $19.99 scanner, sorry it's 600 X 1200 dpi, still more than enough for web pictures.

http://64.14.232.164/BestBuyInserts/WeeklyFiles/PDFs/0825_28AP1_29AP1.PDF

You just need to make sure you've got Adobe Acrobat Reader loaded.

Michael -

The digital that you had when I came to Atlanta - did you say that it was relatively inexpensive? If so, how much and from where?

me!

Man, what a deal! It's high time I got up with modern technology at home.

Scott - the "JamCam" I keep on the boat and took with you/Rich was $29.99, it works great outdoors and in decent light. It only holds 8 photo's in 640X480 mode (1/2 a megapixel) but I figure it has worked for 2 years and if I drop it in the water, I go get another one. Much cheaper then a disposable and developing every trip.

Ben - Make sure you have a new enough PC that has USB ports before you buy the Scanner (and/or see what connections that Scanner requires). The only reason I mention this is we just bought 4 weeks ago a new superspeedy PC to replace our 5 yearold PII. Everything is fine EXCEPT my really GREAT Scanner and Lazer Printer do not work with the new PC, specifically Windows XP. A new scanner should work with most of the Window's OS's but some only come with USB connections not the old-style Parallel ports.

Did a search on Yahoo.com, at least one vendor still selling the JamCam 3.0 for $29.99.

Ben,

Just how bad was the oxidation on your boat? How did you apply and remove? I posted yesterday looking for your answer. I am picking up a bottle on my way home (3M stuff that is) and will give it a try. Both Rob and I have an oxidation problem. My trailer even has it (fiberglass fenders). So, clue us in----

TOXIC

Tox, I think mine goes below the gel into the fleck. It's a yellowish tint. And Jamey and I tried everything last year, buffer, compound, elbow grease. It shined up nice, but still had that light yellowish tint in a few spots. Let me know if your method works.

Oh and I have noticed it on my soon to be 896! I want to get it before it gets worse.

Hey Toxic- The oxidation was BAD. My father in law had never even WASHED this boat let alone wax it since it was brand new in 89'. It spent it's previous life under a lean-to in Port St. Joe, FL with the salty air just covering up the gelcoat. Never in any salt water, but that air will do a number on the finish of any car, boat, etc. It even oxidized and pitted the motor hood, which is that charcoal OMC/Johnson color that tracker used in the OMC days. I'm gonna have to sand and repaint the hood and lower cowl. As far as application, get yourself a high speed buffer. Not the orbital waxer/ polisher, but a true high speed buffer. Use wool bonnets. To apply, squeeze a few blobs of the 3M restorer onto the gelcoat. Do not turn the buffer on yet, as it will sling the compound EVERYWHERE. Dab the buffer into the compound and spread it around evenly, then turn it on. Go back and forth over a 2 or 3 foot area of gelcoat until the compound disappears and you see the shine. It takes some time, but it is a hell of alot easier than doing it by hand. Read: almost IMPOSSIBLE by hand.

Hey Ben!! What kind of high speed buffer are you using?? I have a '92 Astro that's a BEAUTIFUL Navy & Silver metalflake, but it's oxidized pretty heavily... I tried an orbital buffer and rubbing compound, but that didn't work (DUH!! LOL!). Where would I look for a high speed buffer, and what should I expect to pay for it?? Thanks!

Hey cmjust0, try your local Auto Zone or Pep Boys. I borrowed one from my neighbor that is a sears craftsman, but I saw one in Auto Zone the other day. Probably run you around 100-150 bucks. I think I'm gonna buy one soon too. The nice thing about the 3M restorer/wax is that it takes care of the wax part too. With just rubbing compound you have to wax it as well when you are done.

Latest posts

Back