Engine Dies From Gas Loss

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baldgeek

Reaction score
I have an issue with my 2005 Nitro 189 Sport whereby the motor will cough and die, whether at high or low speed. When I go back to squeeze the bulb, it is clearly empty.

It usually runs fine for the first 5 mins or so, but after that, it is always just a matter of time, though sometimes it might run fine for a couple of minutes, 10 minutes or (rarely), longer.

I am going to pull the pick-up tube from the gas tank and have a look to see if there might be something that gets clogged, but does anyone have any suggestions beyond that?

Thank you,
Mark

You guys were spot on. I changed the bulb last weekend but could not go out until this past Sat. Was out for several hours both Sat and Sun and the boat ran like a champ.
Still a bit stubborn on the initial acceleration, but will run at speed without dying as it had previously.

Thank you guys for the advice. Much appreciated!!

Although you may be running good right now, you may also want to look at your anti-Syphon valve. Nitros are NOTORIOUS for this thing. If you are not familiar, Its a valve on the fuel tank that has a little ball bearing that works like putting your thumb on the top of a straw. It is there to keep the gas from running out of the line if the line is disconnected from the engine. When the engine is running it pulls that bearing back and allows the gas to flow. As that valve wears out, the fuel pump has to work harder and harder to pull the bearing back. Engine doesn't get gas and engine kills. Changed my gas and bulb a couple times and each time seemed to work fine for a little while then same thing would happen again...and way to soon for it to be the line and bulb. Swapped out that valve and had no more issues. May not be an issue at all but worth checking as it will burn out your fuel pump too.

(never did figure out why the new line and bulb would work for a little while though....seems to me it shouldn't have made a difference....but that was three years ago and no issues since so I am just going to call it a win and move on).

Latest posts

Back