Garmin 240 or 160 for Bow of boat

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas Transplant

Reaction score
Okay gang. Time to do what you do best. Offer up them priceless opinions, while someone else spends the money. Ready to replace the front 'ducer on my Targa. I'm just about decided on getting a Garmin, but have not settled on model. Both the 160 and 240 have comparable features and power, but the 240 obviously has the larger screen. I'm leaving the other std. tracker hbird on the console for the time being.

Which unit would you purchase for the bow?

If you think that I should look at another unit, chime in.

Tex

Tex, I think the screen size is the same but the 240 has twice the pixel resolution for greater detail. I would go with the 240 if price isn't a problem. Also the Lowrance X-91 is nice too. Same ballpark.

I had the same delima a couple of months back. I bought the Garmin 240 and never looked back. Its a great unit, the resolution is slamming! I give it a two thumbs up...

I had a 240 on the bow but swapped it with my x-85 due to the 10ft depth settings, the garmin only allows you 10ft increments to change. The x-85 allows 1ft changes, just a feature i didn't like on the bow, it works great shooting thru the hull up to 60mph. Just my opinion

Eric H.

I have the 160 & absolutely love it. But if money is not a factor I would go with the 240,just more of the good stuff.

Also Garmin has great customer service, first time out this year I broke several of the pegs off the unit where the cable connects (totally my fault) They sent a pick-up from UPS fixed it & got it back to me at NO CHARGE in 8 days.

recently I bought a 160x160 resolution finder for my boat. i wanted the 240 and even models on up. i've been happy with 160 thus far and saved a little money. i figured i could try it out and move it up to the bow later on. I would think for the bow, you would want bigger physical size of the display so that you could read the info while standing up. after having those low end birds, you will really like the 160 or 240.

james d.

Thanks everyone for their input. Good point James D. on the bigger display for viewing while standing up. I understand though, that the actual display on the 240 is the same??? size as the 160, just more pixels per inch. Not sure though.

I'll look at both closely at BPS soon. At least there, they have the simulator working, almost side by side. Gives a better feel for what they look like.

Tex

I have the 240 also. More vertical pixels, better detail. I bought mine at Sports Authority. When you open a charge account with them you get a 30% off deal. That was the only reason I did it. But now I get cupons every few months for 10 to 20 % off any item in the store. Not a bad deal. I never used the card.

T. - great comment. I'll have to look into this. Open a charge, get 30% off a G240 - WOW!

Thanks.

Right now, leaning heavily towards the 240.

Tex

Tex-

I've got the 160 up front...had it put on a week after I bought the boat...

The detail is amazing...there is truly no comparison between it and the dash mounted H-bird...

It came down to price as far as why I didn't get the 240, but I've been completely satisfied with the 160...

az

I've got the 160 on the bow and really like it. I've also got the Garmin instructional video for their findes if anyone wants it just let me know and I'll send it free. all I ask is that you keep it and if someone else wants it you send it on to them after your finished with it.

Andy and Sam,

Boy, you guys are great. Just the information that I've been hoping for. Now I've got feedback on both units, and can go from there.

Thanks.

Tex

Purchased a new 160 on Saturday at BPS for the bow of the boat. Hoping to put it on tonight or tomorrow night so that I can use it this Saturday.

Sports authority had them for $239.00, marked down as clearance. BPS had them for $199.00.

Tex

I agree that the 160 should be sufficient. But it really depends on what kind of water you're fishing. If you are in deeper water and actually trying to locate fish, you'll need the better res. But if you're in shallow water looking mostly for cover, the 160 would be fine..............sa

Don't get into deeper water very often at all. The tiebreaker for me was on several fronts.

1) Same power for both units. No advantage.

2) Same basic software/features for both units. No advantage.

3) Better resolution for the 240. Advantage 240.

4) Same screen size. No advantage.

5) Lower price. Significant advantage to 160.

I will likely change out the console unit next year. If I do, then I'll probably purchase a 240 then - especially if the two units are interchangelable between the transducers. Which I believe they are.

The console unit, I'll have BPS install, along with doing some other 'beneath the decks' work.

Tex

Got the unit about half installed. With the design of my boat (Targa 18), it's a piece of cake to take off the HBird and install the Garmin.

Looking forward to Sat. morning, when I can see the difference first hand. Getting cooler here, so maybe the fish will start turning on a little better.

Tex

Anyone had luck with the Eagle rotating mount? Part # GBSA-1 I think.......................sa

Latest posts

Back