Fuel Stabilizer for Optimax

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin Perry

Reaction score
I was told that I needed to use a mercury brand fuel stabilizer and that C-foam or Stabil was not a good choice on the new opti's. I have 2011 Z-7 with the 150 opti on it. Any suggestions as to what I need to use.

Also I was told the break in period on my engine was a whole tank of gas and that it was double oiling during this period. My question is how does the motor know when to quit double oiling and is this info that my service tech gave me correct.

The Sea-Foam is an EXCELLENT stabilizer, water absorbant, and fuel system cleaner. We use it here. No one can tell you that you "need" to use exclusively Merc products or they would have to give it to you free. There are laws against that. As long as the chemical composition {of the aftermarket product} does not CAUSE a failure, your warranty is valid. To eliminate that possibility, to use the Factory stuff at least during your break-in process is a good idea. That process is clearly outlined in your owners manual, and I suggest you read it carefully. A blanket statement that "one tank of gas" is incorrect, and only applicable if the tank volume and engine usage in GPH / time match. The PCM controls time / oil supply and will in fact produce a heavier mixture for break-in, susbsiding when the break-in is complete. In the event of failure, we can tell you exactly how the motor was broken in....or just broken. Follow the letter of the book. ;)

Back