Four-strokes on bass boats

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim in VA

Reaction score
Hey gang:

What's the general consensus about four-stroke engines on bass boats? Good, bad or indifferent?

Thanks!

Depends on the hull and the motor.

I happen to like them. Proper set-up is key, more so than with the old two-strokes.

I have to like them, i got 1

;)

DSCN0453-1.jpg

I duuno....I am seriously considering a 4-stroke on my next rig. I would like to see how the Verado and SHO match up.

TOXIC

The Verado product has been "exceptional". It is VERY apparent that Merc has done their homework. I have not seen ONE powerhead failure yet. Torque, speed, reliability and above all, man, are they silent. If any of you have not had the priveledge to be in a boat powered by one....go out of your way for a test ride. Good stuff!!!

What about weight? Yes I'm too lazy to google it up. I only ask because all of the bru-ha-ha over the new SHO. Verado has been around a while and it never really took off on Bass rigs but the new SHO with the ZX Skeeter's supposedly built for that motor seem to have re generated interest in the possibility of a 4-stroke. Merc has not promoted the Verado as it should have...IMHO.

TOXIC

It's true that the Verado weighs a "little" more than the SHO, 505 vs 635. I personally think they are BOTH great engines. HOWEVER....{this is one of those BLACK issues...LOL}, the Verado series of engines is designed from the ground up as a supercharged motor. In other words.... in-line 6, intercooled, blown, NEVER needs valve adjustments, 6400 rpm WOT rpm, did I say quiet, fly-by-wire throttle and shift, POWER steering, etc. Sorry Yamaha, BLACK rules.....with RELIABILITY TO MATCH!!!

Thanks guys. Looking at a 2005 Triton 186 Magnum (18.5' high performance tin rig) equipped with a Honda 150hp outboard. Its the same size and hp as my current rig (2003 G3 HP180 with Yammy VMax 150hp) - but newer, less run time and a four-stroke. Wondering if the advantages are worth the delta between buying this rig and selling mine.

True the Vrod is heavier, i just leave my partner at home to make up for the extra weight

:lol:

I have to like them, i got 1

Hey Dave you steering wheel is on the wrong side...

Dang Foreign Boats.:lol::lol:

I know I know that was pretty lame but had to do it.

Back